Roster Speculation thread - the season is almost upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
In that scenario, I'd prefer to see Nylander come up as well. I think Nylander Mittelstadt Sobotka could be a decent line. You could also swap Okposo and Nylander. Something like:

Nylander Berglund Skinner (I believe he can play RW)
Sobotka Mittelstadt Okposo

Once we find chemistry on these middle lines, we're going to be a fairly dangerous team. As of now, it's tough to construct a solid four lines with both Okposo and Pominville in the lineup. It just is.
Pomminville is fine, Beerz just over reacts calling him an anchor because he lost a gear. His contract comes off the books at the end of this season.

Okposo is the problem, he doesn't fit on the PP and he has no chemistry with Skinner who drives that line. He is signed for 4 more years after this season, his buyout is too big of a hit and we have really no RWers in the organization ready to fill his spot and with the LW being filled, RW became an absolute eye sore.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
They had one high danger scoring opportunity Berglund messed up on that was all 3 of them. All the other times Skinner did pretty much all the work driving offense in the offensive zone. Somethings a miss on that line, it might seem good on paper but Berglund and Okposo need to get on Skinners page and go to the spots on the ice where he can hit them, not the other way around. You probably wont ever see Okposo or Berglund cut thru 2 players to make a play or drive offense like that.

Asplund is pretty intriguing, a guy who can skate up the middle of the ice, carry it in draw off 2 defenders for Skinner, I like that idea. I don't remember Skinner and ERod being on the same line in the Rangers game so I am not entirely sure what play you mention but yeah Skinner can puck hog at times, I think it comes to all the years of having to do it himself.

Maybe that Skinner line just needs chemistry and playing time but Okposo is the weak link on the right side, I almost want to switch him with Pommers but Girgs-ERod and Pommers are a good thing.

Generally speaking at the nhl level, you don’t want three guys on a line with Skinner’s dangler mentality. You want guys who will cover each other’s weaknesses.

We just don’t have anyone on the roster who can fill the role you want. Mitts isn’t ready yet, Erod doesn’t have the defense. The player you are looking for is O’Reilly, but alas.

This was always going to be a work in progress this season once they traded O’Reilly. That 2nd line needs to play defense and hope Skinner and Okposo occasionally score on individual efforts or breakdowns.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Pomminville is fine, Beerz just over reacts calling him an anchor because he lost a gear. His contract comes off the books at the end of this season.

Okposo is the problem, he doesn't fit on the PP and he has no chemistry with Skinner who drives that line. He is signed for 4 more years after this season, his buyout is too big of a hit and we have really no RWers in the organization ready to fill his spot and with the LW being filled, RW became an absolute eye sore.
Agreed on Pominville. If anything, we should probably banish Okposo to the 4th Line. I think he can be a bit more effective from there. ERod deserves to be moved up in the lineup and should be playing with scorers.

Maybe something like this:

Sheary Eichel Reinhart
Skinner Berglund ERod
Nylander Mittelstadt Pominville
Girgensons Sobotka Okposo
x Elie

I really think ERod is super underrated and is one of our very best forwards. His numbers suggest he'd do well in the Top 9. Okposo did okay at times last year when he was the best/most talented player on his line. Put him with some grinders and hope they can play solid together.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Rasmus Reichel

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Generally speaking at the nhl level, you don’t want three guys on a line with Skinner’s dangler mentality. You want guys who will cover each other’s weaknesses.

We just don’t have anyone on the roster who can fill the role you want. Mitts isn’t ready yet, Erod doesn’t have the defense. The player you are looking for is O’Reilly, but alas.

This was always going to be a work in progress this season once they traded O’Reilly. That 2nd line needs to play defense and hope Skinner and Okposo occasionally score on individual efforts or breakdowns.
I think if we can get Skinner someone who can draw players off him and open the ice up and get to the front of the net to bang in the rebounds or set up a pass, that is really all he needs. You're right we don't have the personal right now which is the most frustrating part.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Agreed on Pominville. If anything, we should probably banish Okposo to the 4th Line. I think he can be a bit more effective from there. ERod deserves to be moved up in the lineup and should be playing with scorers.

Maybe something like this:

Sheary Eichel Reinhart
Skinner Berglund ERod
Nylander Mittelstadt Pominville
Girgensons Sobotka Okposo
x Elie

I really think ERod is super underrated and is one of our very best forwards. His numbers suggest he'd do well in the Top 9. Okposo did okay at times last year when he was the best/most talented player on his line. Put him with some grinders and hope they can play solid together.

Thoughts?
I really hate breaking up the Girgensons-ERod-Pominville line but that middle 6 does need help, it looks better with Nylander there but I doubt he is coming up anytime soon with the glut of LWers we have, don't forget Wilson will be back by December and will have Girgensons, Elie and Wilson fighting for that 3 and 4 LW. If Sobotka can play on the right side and slide in where you have ERod only to keep Girgensons-ERod-Pommville together I think Sobotka could open the ice for Skinner while Berglund does the defensive lifting.

Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Berglund-Sobotka
Girgensons-ERod-Pomminville
Elie-Mittelstadt-Okposo

Maybe something like that, if only this board and the coach was brave enough to move Reinhart down to play with Skinner and Berglund I think that line could really work but why ruin a good thing right now with that top line working.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC

What the heck does O'Reilly have to do with our current roster? Nothing. Absolute zero.

Let's talk about players who are here.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
What the heck does O'Reilly have to do with our current roster? Nothing. Absolute zero.

Yeah, but if we had O'Reilly, all of our problems would be solved. Too bad Botts couldn't see the answer staring him right in the face. And Housley, don't even get me started. If you want to turn a blind eye to it too by all means but I think some of us are a little too smart for that.

:sarcasm:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Buffalo can entice Seattle to take him in ED in 2020.

They could trade him at 50%

With Berglund....I can honestly see him retiring in two seasons and become an asset coach.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I believe Housley referred to the Pomminville line as the “3rd line” in one of his most recent pressers. Not that semantics matters much, just pointing out how he views it

I think we may have a 3A/3B situation where thise lines alternate each cycle.

Other idea...the Kings playoff model of 4 players on 3 lines.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Don’t get triggered. He is an nhl player in the league who has a skill set that would fit Skinner. Take a breathe and remember it’s just hockey. It will be exhausting avoiding his name in an effort not to freak people out.

Politically correct reference, Toews, Kadri, Scheifele, Couture, Turkish, Couts. Two way centers with playmaking skills would work well.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Don’t get triggered. He is an nhl player in the league who has a skill set that would fit Skinner. Take a breathe and remember it’s just hockey. It will be exhausting avoiding his name in an effort not to freak people out.

Politically correct reference, Toews, Kadri, Scheifele, Couture, Turkish, Couts. Two way centers with playmaking skills would work well.

Why not Courtier or even Bergeron if we're really going for it? Or is Couts short for Courtier?

Or is maybe the perfect guy currently starting his first season in Rochester?

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

Im not overreacting... he is an anchor. Has nothing to do with his contract. Has everything to do with him not being very good anymore.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Don't f*** with the forwards beyond tinkering with Mittelstadt's linemates and flipping through the ACME catalog to find a contraption to jettison Okposo. Everything is working pretty sustainably right now, let's ride it out for a bit.

Time to overreact to small samples again but for reference: Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart has a 57% xG share and it's not even top 2 among semi-regular lines. Girgs-ERod-Pominville is at 61%, and Skinner-Berglund-Okposo is cruising along at 85%.

Granted, this data remains juiced by Phil scrambling things in the defensive zone, but it's extremely promising initial returns.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Don't **** with the forwards beyond tinkering with Mittelstadt's linemates and flipping through the ACME catalog to find a contraption to jettison Okposo. Everything is working pretty sustainably right now, let's ride it out for a bit.

Time to overreact to small samples again but for reference: Sheary-Eichel-Reinhart has a 57% xG share and it's not even top 2 among semi-regular lines. Girgs-ERod-Pominville is at 61%, and Skinner-Berglund-Okposo is cruising along at 85%.

Granted, this data remains juiced by Phil scrambling things in the defensive zone, but it's extremely promising initial returns.
I see where you got that on Corsica - is it score-adjusted automatically?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad