Roster Speculation thread - the season is almost upon us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
We do have three potential 1st Round picks. Nothings untraceable with that many picks
Well sure, we could also just package Eichel in the deal to a team trying to reach the cap floor to get rid of the contract. By untradable I mean that there's no trade out there that would be worth the cost of unloading that contract.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Well sure, we could also just package Eichel in the deal to a team trying to reach the cap floor to get rid of the contract. By untradable I mean that there's no trade out there that would be worth the cost of unloading that contract.

But as others brought up, with Seattle coming into the league, maybe we entice them to take Okposo from us with a couple of picks/prospects. After watching what Vegas did, I’ll assume Seattle will want to do some similar things.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Eh. We're fine. Okposo has a friendly buyout after 2022.

With Seattle coming, we could have a 90M salary cap before Dahlin is a RFA.

What we do with Reinhart and Mittelstadt, both RFAs in 2020, will have a bigger impact.

Plus with Poms and Moulson coming off this year, and presumably Bogo after next year, that's 16m.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
Going through the roster this team is in decent shape! Our biggest issue seems to be RWs. And gosh a lot depends on the development of Mittelstadt, he might be the most important player to be good

Goalies
Starter - Hutton
Depth - Ullmark
Futures - Luukkonen

Centers
Starters - Eichel, Berglund, Mittelstadt, Rodrigues
Depth - Larsson, Malone, O’Regan, Oglieve
Futures - Asplund, Davidsson, Pekar, Glotev

Left Wingers
Starters - Sheary, Skinner, Girgensons, Ellie
Depth - Sobotka, Wilson, Smith
Futures - Olofsson, Nylander, Weissbach

Right Wingers
Starters - Reinhart, Thompson, Okposo, Pominville
Depth - Bailey
Futures - yikes.

Left Defense
Starters - Scandella, Mccabe, Beaulieu
Depth - Hunwick
Futures - Guhle, Pilut, Samuelsson, Bryson, Hickey

Right Defense
Starters - Ristolainen, Dahlin, Bogosian
Depth - Nelson, Tennyson
Futures - Borgen, Laaksonen, Fitzgerald

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Vogol write an article about the Pommer-Erod-Girgs line being a 4th line, and I went and looked at TOI. They slightly edge out the Mittelstadt line. While they are trying to work Casey into the 2nd PP, even adding the 30-60 seconds a night he gets there makes me think he may need to go to Roch for playing time.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Vogol write an article about the Pommer-Erod-Girgs line being a 4th line, and I went and looked at TOI. They slightly edge out the Mittelstadt line. While they are trying to work Casey into the 2nd PP, even adding the 30-60 seconds a night he gets there makes me think he may need to go to Roch for playing time.

I believe Housley referred to the Pomminville line as the “3rd line” in one of his most recent pressers. Not that semantics matters much, just pointing out how he views it

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
My thinking is either of those two lines could be 3rd or 4th lines, depending on how much special teams time there is in any given game, when penalties occur relative to when the #1PP and #1PK units finished their last ES shift, how special teams time is distributed among the non-penalized players, etc.

E-M-T
G-ER-P

As currently comprised, their ensemble skill sets aren't dramatically different, although I'd probably favor Mittelstadt's line for the o-zone starts and ERod's line for the D-zone starts.

Which I suppose supports the contention that numbering lines isn't too important any more.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Skinner has never played particularly well with better players. His line has been good with him as the offensive centerpiece.
While this idea Skinner has never played well with others is going around what I am seeing is him constantly deke thru 2 guys and make a pass out front and having no one there ever. I see him skating often in the offensive zone and Okposo is 2 minutes out and Berglund is staying back to defend or doing something but neither guy is flying up with him on the rush. When you see Skinner look over his shoulders to see where is teammates are because he wants to dish it off its disheartening to see no one there.

Skinner needs another high hockey IQ player that likes to go to the front of the net, that can bang in his rebounds or wait for a pass that you know it probably coming, Okposo and Berglund are not that.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
My thinking is either of those two lines could be 3rd or 4th lines, depending on how much special teams time there is in any given game, when penalties occur relative to when the #1PP and #1PK units finished their last ES shift, how special teams time is distributed among the non-penalized players, etc.

E-M-T
G-ER-P

As currently comprised, their ensemble skill sets aren't dramatically different, although I'd probably favor Mittelstadt's line for the o-zone starts and ERod's line for the D-zone starts.

Which I suppose supports the contention that numbering lines isn't too important any more.

Numbering lines are easier to figure out than first initials...

Though E-M-T has "Emergency Line" going for it though I don't know what that means - if it's good or bad.

Do you mean:

81-37-71
28-71-29

I'm assuming you do.

Reactions: Freeeeedom

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
While this idea Skinner has never played well with others is going around what I am seeing is him constantly deke thru 2 guys and make a pass out front and having no one there ever. I see him skating often in the offensive zone and Okposo is 2 minutes out and Berglund is staying back to defend or doing something but neither guy is flying up with him on the rush. When you see Skinner look over his shoulders to see where is teammates are because he wants to dish it off its disheartening to see no one there.

Skinner needs another high hockey IQ player that likes to go to the front of the net, that can bang in his rebounds or wait for a pass that you know it probably coming, Okposo and Berglund are not that.
I feel like Mitts would be a good line-mate for Skinner.

Reactions: Sabre the Win

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh

Idk, in that Rangers game I saw Skinner make a nice move, get space and then ignore a wide open Erod for a one timer. Instead Skinner tried to drive the net and then lost the puck in Erod’s direction, which gave enough time for lundquist to stack the pads.

That line actually feels set up well. Maybe if Asplund gets up to speed during the year he could push Berglund to the wing.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Idk, in that Rangers game I saw Skinner make a nice move, get space and then ignore a wide open Erod for a one timer. Instead Skinner tried to drive the net and then lost the puck in Erod’s direction, which gave enough time for lundquist to stack the pads.

That line actually feels set up well. Maybe if Asplund gets up to speed during the year he could push Berglund to the wing.
They had one high danger scoring opportunity Berglund messed up on that was all 3 of them. All the other times Skinner did pretty much all the work driving offense in the offensive zone. Somethings a miss on that line, it might seem good on paper but Berglund and Okposo need to get on Skinners page and go to the spots on the ice where he can hit them, not the other way around. You probably wont ever see Okposo or Berglund cut thru 2 players to make a play or drive offense like that.

Asplund is pretty intriguing, a guy who can skate up the middle of the ice, carry it in draw off 2 defenders for Skinner, I like that idea. I don't remember Skinner and ERod being on the same line in the Rangers game so I am not entirely sure what play you mention but yeah Skinner can puck hog at times, I think it comes to all the years of having to do it himself.

Maybe that Skinner line just needs chemistry and playing time but Okposo is the weak link on the right side, I almost want to switch him with Pommers but Girgs-ERod and Pommers are a good thing.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

E-M-T
G-ER-P

When it's called the 4th line, gets the 3rd most ice-time, and is actually our 2nd best line, what do we call it? Screw numbers!

Reactions: brian_griffin

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I can see him dropping Tage to Rochester.

I wanna see elie sobotka girgensons as a line for at least a game just to see if it can be such a pain in the a$$ trio to play against. I have zero offensive expectations of course but I just gotta see it lol.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Sobotka filling in for Tage will literally not detract anything from this roster at this moment, Thompson is mostly ineffective out there. Having Sobotka take his place could make that 3rd line more effective, it litterally can't make it any less effective than it is now. Thompson has the potential for a good future, let him feast on AHL fodder and get better minutes.

Reactions: Rasmi

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Sobotka filling in for Tage will literally not detract anything from this roster at this moment, Thompson is mostly ineffective out there. Having Sobotka take his place could make that 3rd line more effective, it litterally can't make it any less effective than it is now. Thompson has the potential for a good future, let him feast on AHL fodder and get better minutes.
In that scenario, I'd prefer to see Nylander come up as well. I think Nylander Mittelstadt Sobotka could be a decent line. You could also swap Okposo and Nylander. Something like:

Nylander Berglund Skinner (I believe he can play RW)
Sobotka Mittelstadt Okposo

Once we find chemistry on these middle lines, we're going to be a fairly dangerous team. As of now, it's tough to construct a solid four lines with both Okposo and Pominville in the lineup. It just is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->