Roster Speculation Pt. VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
He was a better version of Larson 5 years ago. And then he went home. And then he came back and is unhappy. Five years ago... he was a worker.
I mean, Omsk, where Sobotka went to play in the KHL, is almost 4000 miles away from his hometown. Buffalo's closer to Vancouver.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I tend to agree. I'm really not sure what to make of him yet. Playing with Sobotka and Thompson is basically a death sentence, but he sometimes looks small and weak.

Someone on this forum once said that he looks like someone's little brother that tried out for the team. I tend to agree with that assessment. That said, he needs to be given a better opportunity to show his stuff than he currently is. This coach needs to help the GM determine if he has a player in him or not.

I've watched him live for a few years no. He's a player. Maybe a bottom 6 guy but he PLAYS. This team's structure top down is so flawed its gonnna cost him a good chance to shine. He'd be better off being the leader down in Rochester as sad as that is to say.

Reactions: GrierIsGod123

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I mean, Omsk, where Sobotka went to play in the KHL, is almost 4000 miles away from his hometown. Buffalo's closer to Vancouver.

Montreal is closer to me in Rochester than to most in similar scenarios but I don't speak French Canadian...so maybe mileage isn't the issue?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'd pass on Wennberg.

The Sabres don't need more overpaid guys on this roster.

They should wait and see if teams with cap issues like the Jets need to make moves this summer.

Actually, depending on the cost, it'd be a relatively low risk move.

His buyout in 2020 would fall under the under 26 rule, meaning we'd pay 1/3rd of the money left over double the term, similar to Hodgson.

Alexander Wennberg Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So, we trade for him, if he's still shitty next year, kick him to the curb.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I've watched him live for a few years no. He's a player. Maybe a bottom 6 guy but he PLAYS. This team's structure top down is so flawed its gonnna cost him a good chance to shine. He'd be better off being the leader down in Rochester as sad as that is to say.
Thanks for your response, glad to hear that. I definitely like his game, and fully realize the poor hand he's been dealt. I need to see a little more to be as hopeful as you are. This team needs to upgrade at Center so badly.

Sobotka really ruins so much about this roster, not to mention Thompson who is a black hole as well. Them together is just horrendous coaching, and poor use of the analytics that are blatantly out there for everyone's consumption. Trying to thrive on that line is an extremely tall task that only Reinhart has been able to tackle with some modicum of success.

I'd love to see CJ become a great bottom 6 player, but feel we need upgrades there before we see that. I think he's a 4th liner with 3rd line upside. Is that too low?

Reactions: itwasaforwardpass

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Actually, depending on the cost, it'd be a relatively low risk move.

His buyout in 2020 would fall under the under 26 rule, meaning we'd pay 1/3rd of the money left over double the term, similar to Hodgson.

Alexander Wennberg Contract Buyout Details - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

So, we trade for him, if he's still ****ty next year, kick him to the curb.
I wonder if CBJ view his contract as an albatross on their end. If so, perhaps you can pawn off a shorter/cheaper bad contract on them (i.e. Sobotka). Certainly an extremely risky move, but could pay off big time.

With the Cap continuing to rise, $4.9M/yr. is not horrible for a good third line center any way. The question is, can Asplund or someone else fill that role in a year or two at $850K?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Thanks for your response, glad to hear that. I definitely like his game, and fully realize the poor hand he's been dealt. I need to see a little more to be as hopeful as you are. This team needs to upgrade at Center so badly.

Sobotka really ruins so much about this roster, not to mention Thompson who is a black hole as well. Them together is just horrendous coaching, and poor use of the analytics that are blatantly out there for everyone's consumption. Trying to thrive on that line is an extremely tall task that only Reinhart has been able to tackle with some modicum of success.
he will top out at what you see offensively with girgs and Larsson at the nhl level. But he's all heart and plays the game right. Given proper line construction he can be a capable bttom 6 NHL player. Given poor coaching he will flame out ala Flynn or Mitchell or Byron (for an extreme example).

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I wonder if CBJ view his contract as an albatross on their end. If so, perhaps you can pawn off a shorter/cheaper bad contract on them (i.e. Sobotka). Certainly an extremely risky move, but could pay off big time.

With the Cap continuing to rise, $4.9M/yr. is not horrible for a good third line center any way. The question is, can Asplund or someone else fill that role in a year or two at $850K?

Columbus would be better off buying out Wennberg than taking Sobotka back for him.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
I'd be fine if CJ can fill a role on the 4th line, and chip in 6-10 goals and 20ish points a year. I just think we'd be expecting too much if we think he's going to be a 15 goal/30-35 point guy.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

How are you dividing up the 60 minutes per game on the right side if they trade Risto for a forward?

Trading Risto could prolong the rebuild with a couple of more years. I get the frustration with Risto but he’s as consistent 40 pts dman on the worst team in the league while throwing his body around. Great age and contract. If you trade him it’s in a package for a 1D or 1C.

Reactions: Eichel9 and Kyndig

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Trading Risto could prolong the rebuild with a couple of more years. I get the frustration with Risto but he’s as consistent 40 pts dman on the worst team in the league while throwing his body around. Great age and contract. If you trade him it’s in a package for a 1D or 1C.

It could also aid in the turnaround if one believes, as I do, that he's a slight net negative who carries a reputation (especially among "hockey men") that far exceeds his on-ice net output. Put simply, the whole is less than the sum of his parts.

Reactions: Gabrielor

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
One group of people say Risto is trash but would net a haul in a trade. The other says he is great but would net a bag of used pucks in a trade and I'm like:dunno:

Don't forget everyone calling the team soft/fragile but then they want to trade away the guy who is 4th among defensemen in hits. :clap:

Reactions: Hasek

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Don't forget everyone calling the team soft/fragile but then they want to trade away the guy who is 4th among defensemen in hits. :clap:
That is a terrible stat to be among the league leaders in because it basically means you usually don't have the puck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad