Roster Speculation Pt. IX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Suckposo's contract sucks royally. So does he. A buyout is awful for Buffalo. I'm hoping for a compliance buyout option with the new CBA. If not or until then:
  • Move him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor
  • Moulsonize him. Find somewhere - as in some other league - for him to play:
  • Rochester
  • Chicago Wolves
  • Somewhere else close to home or palatable to him.
  • Europe
  • Mars
  • Keep him as the 14th forward
I just don't think there is any value in keeping him here in Buffalo

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Suckposo's contract sucks royally. So does he. A buyout is awful for Buffalo. I'm hoping for a compliance buyout option with the new CBA. If not or until then:
  • Move him to a team that needs to reach the cap floor
  • Moulsonize him. Find somewhere - as in some other league - for him to play:
  • Rochester
  • Chicago Wolves
  • Somewhere else close to home or palatable to him.
  • Europe
  • Mars
  • Keep him as the 14th forward
I just don't think there is any value in keeping him here in Buffalo
It’s a tough cap hit for four years if we buy him out. Then a 1mill cap hit for four years after.
Is a 4, 4, 5, 3 cap hit for him not playing worth it?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
It’s a tough cap hit for four years if we buy him out. Then a 1mill cap hit for four years after.
Is a 4, 4, 5, 3 cap hit for him not playing worth it?
no. He's fine being 14th forward who is allowed in the room to provide his leadership qualities (my only caveat being is that he and jack have a good relationship...I have no knowledge of that)

if you can dump him then by all means do so but to answer the immediate buiyout question its a definite no.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
no. He's fine being 14th forward who is allowed in the room to provide his leadership qualities (my only caveat being is that he and jack have a good relationship...I have no knowledge of that)

if you can dump him then by all means do so but to answer the immediate buiyout question its a definite no.
That was my thinking as well. At the very least give him one more year.

I know people will disagree but I don’t see Botts doing a whole lot this off season to really put us over the top and be a playoff team. He’ll do the minimum required to keep people happy and try to improve next year.

But next off season he has so much flexibility to mould this roster. There’s also the possibility of an amnesty buy out or a deal with with Seattle to get rid of him.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That was my thinking as well. At the very least give him one more year.

I know people will disagree but I don’t see Botts doing a whole lot this off season to really put us over the top and be a playoff team. He’ll do the minimum required to keep people happy and try to improve next year.

But next off season he has so much flexibility to mould this roster. There’s also the possibility of an amnesty buy out or a deal with with Seattle to get rid of him.
This team is in a position right now where they literally can't afford to punt another year because they are dangerously close to most of our fanbase just giving up and checking out after this team's neverending Lucy holding the football act. Last season was just about the most devastating season imaginable and there will be crowds of 12k on many weeknights next season after we bleed STH's who've just given up. Do that again and we'll be getting outdrawn by some AHL teams because people are just fed up with the bull shit at this point.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
This team is in a position right now where they literally can't afford to punt another year because they are dangerously close to most of our fanbase just giving up and checking out after this team's neverending Lucy holding the football act. Last season was just about the most devastating season imaginable and there will be crowds of 12k on many weeknights next season after we bleed STH's who've just given up. Do that again and we'll be getting outdrawn by some AHL teams because people are just fed up with the bull **** at this point.
You don’t actually believe another bad season will lose the fan base so you? We’re hockey fans. We come back every fall for more. Buffalo is the most “Canadian” market in the US. Oh, you wont pay top dollar? The next guy waiting for a deal will buy the tickets. This team won’t lose fans or money. Say what you want, wont happen. I said the same shit twice. Yet here I am.

I would love for Botts to make the moves for this team to make the jump. But looking at our capfriendly page it seems we’re in for a year of mediocrity before we see Botts’ full plan. Just my opinion tho.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You don’t actually believe another bad season will lose the fan base so you? We’re hockey fans. We come back every fall for more. Buffalo is the most “Canadian” market in the US. Oh, you wont pay top dollar? The next guy waiting for a deal will buy the tickets. This team won’t lose fans or money. Say what you want, wont happen. I said the same **** twice. Yet here I am.

I would love for Botts to make the moves for this team to make the jump. But looking at our capfriendly page it seems we’re in for a year of mediocrity before we see Botts’ full plan. Just my opinion tho.
The thousands of empty seats (including almost entire sections of the 300's) at the vast majority of weekday games last year says otherwise. Our fans have been burned so many times that this is the breaking point. People are going to drop their tickets en mass and nobody is in line to replace them.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
The thousands of empty seats (including almost entire sections of the 300's) at the vast majority of weekday games last year says otherwise. Our fans have been burned so many times that this is the breaking point. People are going to drop their tickets en mass and nobody is in line to replace them.
Sure. Even with those thousands of empty seats in the 300’s this team makes money. We’re not some small market team that relies on winning. We’re literally the best hockey market in the US. You can believe what you want. But this market loves hockey and will not suffer due to one more “lost” season. Especially if that season is followed by a big off season that brings in a marquee name or two.

Edit: If you agree with the sentiment that another bad season will lose the fan base then be prepared to stand by your “likes” and “comments”. I know you, you’re all the same as me. You’ll be back for more hockey. If you truly believe another season will lose the fan base than be prepared to stand by that. Someone who doesn’t care anymore won’t log in to this site. Won’t keep tabs on the team. You all will. Don’t tell me otherwise

Last edited:

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
would anyone be against moving Okposo and the SJ/STL first for a scrub, just to be rid of him and his brutal contract?

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Is there any proof of Okposo’s leadership qualities? Being liked is not the same thing as being a good leader, it does help however.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
would anyone be against moving Okposo and the SJ/STL first for a scrub, just to be rid of him and his brutal contract?

Yes. That pick is way more important than eating the next few years of Okposo's contract. (We should be able to dump him at the expansion draft, or via compliance buy-out if the next CBA negotiation leads to that, which many are speculating will happen.)

Reactions: Chainshot

SabresFanNorthPortFL

Aug 9, 2007
North Port, FL
Sure. Even with those thousands of empty seats in the 300’s this team makes money. We’re not some small market team that relies on winning. We’re literally the best hockey market in the US. You can believe what you want. But this market loves hockey and will not suffer due to one more “lost” season. Especially if that season is followed by a big off season that brings in a marquee name or two.

Edit: If you agree with the sentiment that another bad season will lose the fan base then be prepared to stand by your “likes” and “comments”. I know you, you’re all the same as me. You’ll be back for more hockey. If you truly believe another season will lose the fan base than be prepared to stand by that. Someone who doesn’t care anymore won’t log in to this site. Won’t keep tabs on the team. You all will. Don’t tell me otherwise

Ummm, we the fans can be as pissed as we want to be about another wasted season, and that would have a financial bottom line effect but that would be a minor effect.

The bigger problem with another wasted season is Jack. I think he's the type of personality that you'd piss off. This team better show Jack that we're all in it from a organizational point of view, or he's gonna request a trade.

Four craptastic years is enough...

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think people are just projecting their own frustrations on the situation a bit with all the "fans can't take another down year" or "Jack is going to request a trade if we're bad again" talk.

That said, I don't see the team punting another year. The narrative going into the last few offseasons have been "a lot is going to change", usually meaning a major shake up. Seeing how poorly the last few shakeups have gone, I don't see them going that route again... and I haven't felt like organizationally there's an urgency this offseason to make any rash moves like other years. Which is a good thing.

Couple a solid coaching hire... with a Skinner/Montour-esque trade or two or FA pickup... an offseason of training/year of development under the belts of Dahlin/Mittelstadt/Thompson... promote hopefully one or two of Olofsson/Nylander/Pilut (or all three if we manage to clear some dead weight off the roster).

All simple, realistic ideas that don't involve blowing anything up and makes the team better next year.

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I haven't like Okposo's game most of the time since his near-death experience. That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see him getting the Pominville minutes alongside Jack to start the upcoming season, even with how things have eroded for him. In '17-'18, he was on Jack's RW when Jack started to heat up around late December. Okposo seems like he can keep up better than Pominville, but also offers some additional tools for that line.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

Everyone should be against that... it’s among the worst things we could do this offseason.

You can waive Okposo, save a million in cap space, and deal with the other 5 million when we really need it and there are no other options left.

Giving up a 1st right now is absurd

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
Everyone should be against that... it’s among the worst things we could do this offseason.

You can waive Okposo, save a million in cap space, and deal with the other 5 million when we really need it and there are no other options left.

Agreed. A team in Buffalo's position has absolutely no business giving up major assets to clear cap space. Teams should only even think of doing something like that when 1) they're a contender, 2) they actually need cap space and 3) they have exhausted all other avenues, because there are usually better options even when 1) & 2) are actually true.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Ummm, we the fans can be as pissed as we want to be about another wasted season, and that would have a financial bottom line effect but that would be a minor effect.

The bigger problem with another wasted season is Jack. I think he's the type of personality that you'd piss off. This team better show Jack that we're all in it from a organizational point of view, or he's gonna request a trade.

Four craptastic years is enough...
Never said you couldn’t be pissed. All I said was it’s not going to lose most of the fanbase like the poster said.

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018

Agreed. There are 3 teams still alive in the NHL playoffs that spent more than $6mil less than the Sabres did this year. Becoming a playoff team does not require clearing Okposo's cap space.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
In the realm of "Things I'm hoping to never have to read about ever again after this summer"? Jacob Trouba as a trade target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->