Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Discussion in 'Buffalo Sabres' started by Zemgus26, Feb 11, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabremike

sabremike Church of the Magic Giraffe

But that toe drag! I literally traveled 9 hours just to see him perform this graceful and majestic maneuver live. It's like going to a Skynrd concert and that feeling when they launch into Freebird: Wow, I totally just got my money's worth!

2. TehDoak

TehDoak He sure has a

I honestly have pretty low expectations for the Trade Deadline this year.
    I don't expect skinner to move, even if he isn't re-upped.

My "best guess" is:

Beaulieu for a "similar" forward (someone stuck behind several forwards looking for regular TOI)
    Scandella (with salary retained) for a mid (3rd/4th) round pick. This would be basically to avoid a buyout this summer.

Other than that....maybe a cheap (and i mean cheap) forward addition.

Mitts888 likes this.
  3. Fezzy126

Fezzy126 Rebuilding...

Hockeyviz, who does most of the heat map graphics that you see does a lot of really nice alternative graphics as well:

BUF 1819

Rowley Birkin likes this.
  4. sabremike

sabremike Church of the Magic Giraffe

The only way we should keep Skinner if we don't reach a deal by the deadline is if they have a handshake agreement so he can get the 8th year. If Botts lets us get Pajama Boy'ed that would be a spectacular debacle.

SECRET SQUIRREL and Willgamesh like this.
  5. Sabreperreault19

Sabreperreault19 Registered User

Not defending Tage but it takes big players longer to develop that's a fact

6. Sabreperreault19

Pa
    Patience? Sobotka is 31..Housley been playing/coaching his whole life.His decision making is and lineup changes are head scratching.If he hasn't got that down as a coach how do you improve on that?

7. Sabreperreault19

This my biggest issue with Botterill.He talks about culture change, earning a spot and does the exact opposite unless he traded or drafted you unless your Beaulieu.Here is the great quote from Sparky Anderson on a good locker room/culture.."If you win you have a great locker room, you lose you have a bad locker room that talk is overated its just an excuse when you lose and magnified when you win"

SECRET SQUIRREL likes this.
  8. Fezzy126

Fezzy126 Rebuilding...

I try to focus on more than just personnel decisions, because to be honest, every fan base thinks their head coach is a moron. Every coach has a pet, or some vet that is overplayed but performs like a dead carcass on the ice. I have issues with his lineup decisions and construction, specifically Smith/Pilut/Scandella/Sobotka, but he found our best line (Jack/Jeff/Sam) in under a dozen games or so, this was something Bylsma struggled with the entire time he was here. He's also been handicapped with ****ty center spine outside of Jack. Lastly, I don't know what Botts is asking of him (e.g. is someone interested in Scandella? Perhaps Botts is asking Phil to keep Marco in the lineup to showcase for opposing scouts).

Strategically I haven't had many huge issues with Phil; our defensive zone coverage has improved, our controlled breakouts and uncontrolled breakouts have improved exponentially. Zone entries have gone from 'give it to Jack' to a mix of structured possession based entry and more intelligent use of dump ins. We do a decent enough job of mixing and changing up neutral zone defenses and forechecking (i.e. 1-2-2, 1-3-1, etc.), In-zone offense is still weak, and employs A LOTof low to high, D to D concepts emphasizing traffic in front (which I abhor), but I'm hoping that's more a product of keeping things simple for our kids. And overall our pace of play has improved and our defense is more active in the play, resulting in a complete 5 man attack (at times).

Much of this can be credited to personnel changes (hi Dahlin!) and our youth getting more experience, but the bottom line is that there has been improvement. But as I said above, when Phil goes out of his way to say stupid **** about Sobotka, I have little patience for it.

9. OkimLom

OkimLom Registered User

I'm picking up what you're throwing down. But would like to add, that him being handicapped is heavily on Botts and partly on himself, refusing to put Reinhart at center in a year where Sam is full of confidence and is playing well.

10. HaNotsri

HaNotsri Regstred User

Teams that I follow has had some really great coaches, using evidence based methods for behavioural change and making great lineup decisions that no fans thought of but that turned players into the best in the league.
    One of the things they have had in common is player development, especially young players taking huge strides and becoming much better than expected. Think Girgensons becoming a 20+20 player, Ristolainen a top 5 d in the league and players on the team competing for hart, selke, rocket...

11. N.Y. Orangeman

N.Y. Orangeman Registered User

Home Page:

I think (or hope) Scandella, if shopped, will garner a 2nd or a 3rd with a piece based upon the historical demand for defensemen.

Chainshot likes this.
  12. HaNotsri

HaNotsri Regstred User

Remember that time Tim Murray lost his phone right before the deadline?

13. Fezzy126

Fezzy126 Rebuilding...

You won't get an argument out of me on that one, especially when Jack went down.

14. DatGuy

DatGuy Registered User

All is right in the world again.

15. sabrebuild

sabrebuild Registered User

Is finding his first line in 12 games particularly impressive over Bylsma?

Honest question, because Bylsma certainly put Kane with Sam and Jack. Seems like kind of an obvious choice to try amongst the options available.

With some of the shared roster options I would have been impressed if Phil had played O’Reilly and Jack together for some extended looks, to see if their games complemented each other like the pp.

16. sabrebuild

For my part, I didn’t think we were arguing that Tage is a bust. Just that he has sucked this year, and his sucking had little to do with his teammates. We can just disagree about that, because him trying to toe drag nhlers in slow motion for the first twenty games didn’t have diddly to do with his linemates, amongst a multitude of amateur mistakes.

I totally agree he has improved from the beginning of the year, and has a fair chance of becoming a top 6 shooter when he learns his role.

It just was stupid to keep him up all year, when he could have been playing 18 minutes a night in Rochester with a slightly less punishing environment.

Sabreperreault19 likes this.
  17. kenfury

kenfury Registered User

Develop? Sounds like a perfect guy who would do well in Rochester for the year.

I see Tage becoming Stafford-ish type guy 15g/15a riding shotgun to better players.

18. Tyler2829

Tyler2829 Registered User

He doesn't make sense.

Botterill: I believe in prospects developing on the farm
    Also Botterill: leaves Tage and Mittelstadt in NHL when it's obvious they would be better off in Roch.

Botterill: we need speed
    Also Botterill: trades for Sobotka and Berglund

Sabreperreault19 and Dubi Doo like this.
  19. Icicle

Icicle Think big

In the AHL Tage was getting away with his toe drags and didn’t learn to break the habit. He needed NHL time and press box to fix that.

20. sabrebuild

@dotcommunism paging you on this. Have we missed the window on when Mitts and Tage would need to get some Rochester time in to be available for the Calder Cup run?

As I recall they need to get at least a game in before the trade deadline? Or be on the ahl team at the time of the deadline?

It would be valuable for both of those guys to get serious development on a deep run at that level.

21. sabrebuild

I definitely didn’t watch any of Tage in the ahl, so good on you for some in depth scouting.

But 18 points in 30 games doesn’t sound like he did much in the ahl with all of that time he got away with.

And it’s odd that his 40 odd nhl games last year didn’t teach him that lesson seemingly at all to start this year. Odd.

22. Icicle

Icicle Think big

Just watch his pre season. He was getting away with it all day then. Then got embarrassed once the real games started.

He didn’t score anything his first bout. Got called up. Went back and put up points. Then got called up again for injuries.

Honestly, we’ve barely gotten to see Tage away from Sobotka and it’s incredibly unfair to him.

Willgamesh likes this.
  23. sabrebuild

I’m not sure what he did in preseason has to do with ahl?

What does Sobotka have to do with toe drags?

Why is it difficult for people to accept that the 6’5” 21 year old is just not ready to succeed in the nhl up to this point?

When did the Botts development model decide that 42 games of unimpressive production is all the lower league development that Thompson needed, despite sucking all year?

24. Willgamesh

Willgamesh Registered User

What do you mean, Sobotka doesn't let his line mates thrive offensively? :laugh:

25. La Cosa Nostra

La Cosa Nostra Caporegime

Thompson is 21 years old. He has at least 2 more years before he can be called a bust. He will likely end up with ~11-12 goals. For a player getting bottom 6 ice time that is acceptable. Last few years we had trash like Josefson, Nolan, Pouliot etc and a 21 year old kid who has already matched Girgs goal total each of the last 3 years is fine as a bottom 6 goal scorer. He will end up as a ~16-24 goal type Drew Stafford esque player. Nothing wrong with that when he is your 8th best forward, not a top 3-4 one he was treated like here.

Buf fan in Nash and hizzoner like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.