Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
If KO is going the other way, I think that's a win for us. Henrique's contract is crappy, but he's at least a solid middle 6 C, which is something we desperately need. I can't imagine there's a way for us to dump Okposo's contract that wouldn't involve us taking back a different bad contract. KO's contract has so much term left, it's not like you can just add on a pick or a prospect to get some team to take him.

There is zero chance Anaheim is taking on any salary unless we are taking back worse. They are trying to clear space, not swap it. The Henrique deal is bad....the Okposo deal is a potential anchor.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Having Henrique is an upgrade over Okposo, but you're tacking on an extra year to an already bad contract. I see what you're saying, he'd at least be serviceable for now, but by the end the extra year could really keep us from adding or keeping an important piece. I'm reluctant for sure, but open for convincing.
Yeah I'm not interested in a short term fix to add that contract. They can look to UFA or another trade option for a middle 6. (or growth from Mitts at least, with Larry at 3C). At least Okie has looked ok with Girgs-Larry, I think we just have to bite the bullet and forget how much he makes and let him sit in that role, until we get to expansion/more easily stomached buyout option.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Yeah I'm not interested in a short term fix to add that contract. They can look to UFA or another trade option for a middle 6. (or growth from Mitts at least, with Larry at 3C). At least Okie has looked ok with Girgs-Larry, I think we just have to bite the bullet and forget how much he makes and let him sit in that role, until we get to expansion/more easily stomached buyout option.

I wouldn't have an issue if they could trade for an above average 3C that is good at the dot and a solid PKer and go with Mitts at 2C and make sure Reinhart is riding shotgun on his line.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
I don't think they'll get a 2 or 3C this season in trade. There are a number of them coming due for contracts in the offseason. I think they sign Hayes.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I think the current situation with Skinner is great for the impatient fans. Skinner can easily tell Botterill: I need to see you make some changes at the deadline that shows me you're willing to compete in the next few years, even if this season doesn't pan out. If you do, I'll sign for 8 years before the season's end. It's not like Botterill can trade him away by the deadline if he doesn't agree. If fans want changes now, and Botterill prefers to tank this season to save a little on assets, maybe Skinner is the influence that pushes Botterill to do something.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I wouldn't have an issue if they could trade for an above average 3C that is good at the dot and a solid PKer and go with Mitts at 2C and make sure Reinhart is riding shotgun on his line.
That's who Berglund was before he left. Housley was the one who decided he preferred Sobotka and relegated Berglund to the 4th line wing.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I wouldn't call what the Sabres got from Berglund as above average 3C play.

He was good at the dot, though.
Weren't his wingers back then Sobotka and Thompson? The early season form of Thompson. Yeah, no center in the league will look good with that.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I don't think they'll get a 2 or 3C this season in trade. There are a number of them coming due for contracts in the offseason. I think they sign Hayes.

I would tend to agree with this. Prices are too high currently. Unless its a "big" team shifting trade. We aren't renting and we aren't overpaying for 1.25 seasons of a player either.

I think the current situation with Skinner is great for the impatient fans. Skinner can easily tell Botterill: I need to see you make some changes at the deadline that shows me you're willing to compete in the next few years, even if this season doesn't pan out. If you do, I'll sign for 8 years before the season's end. It's not like Botterill can trade him away by the deadline if he doesn't agree. If fans want changes now, and Botterill prefers to tank this season to save a little on assets, maybe Skinner is the influence that pushes Botterill to do something.

We aren't spending assets to convince Skinner of anything. He sees what we have here, he and his agent know the assets we have. If he doesn't want to stay now, nothing we can do between now and the end of the season will convince him otherwise.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
I would tend to agree with this. Prices are too high currently. Unless its a "big" team shifting trade. We aren't renting and we aren't overpaying for 1.25 seasons of a player either.

We aren't spending assets to convince Skinner of anything. He sees what we have here, he and his agent know the assets we have. If he doesn't want to stay now, nothing we can do between now and the end of the season will convince him otherwise.

Someone who has played in Carolina his whole career may be a little sensitive about a GM/Owner who isn't willing to pay to compete. That's the angle I'm considering here.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That is where being just about the least desirable organization in the entire league to go to is going to kill us. The top guys won't answer our calls and the next level guys will only come if we overpay them by a significant amount. This was why making the playoffs this year was so important: we needed to convince people we were on the rise. Instead we did the exact opposite and will pay dearly for it.

N.Y. Orangeman

Mar 15, 2002
myspace.com
A Henrique acquisition is making a bad situation worse. Given the play and the coaching situation, its time to play long ball and fix the situation in the offseason. It sucks (as usual), but this club isn't worth investing in right now. In fact, I think there is quite a bit to be learned about its makeup the rest of the way.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
That is where being just about the least desirable organization in the entire league to go to is going to kill us. The top guys won't answer our calls and the next level guys will only come if we overpay them by a significant amount. This was why making the playoffs this year was so important: we needed to convince people we were on the rise. Instead we did the exact opposite and will pay dearly for it.

This feels more like projection of insecurities than reality.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I'm also likely in the minority in that I think a Hayes signing would be bad for this club. He's going to command $6m+/6+ and is a player, while having some value, hasn't put it all together.

Until we get competent coach here that can show to be able to adapt their gameplans to their roster, I'm not going to be comfortable signing ANYBODY on this team.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
When arguably your best defenseman is an 18 year old, you're in full rebuild mode. Skinner isn't exactly at the end of his career.

The main problems on this team are the Murray contracts.

Botts is doing just fine.
Sobotka, Pomminville, Scandella, Sheary Hunwick are not murray contracts. Bogo is and has been serviceable. OK is a murray contract. Berglund quitting is a hole that was not remediated. Thompson is a bottom 6 ceiling player. Dahlin was luck and Skinner is as well to a certain extent that no other team is in geographic proximity to TO. So how are these Murray contracts the problem?

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Sobotka, Pomminville, Scandella, Sheary Hunwick are not murray contracts. Bogo is and has been serviceable. OK is a murray contract. Berglund quitting is a hole that was not remediated. Thompson is a bottom 6 ceiling player. Dahlin was luck and Skinner is as well to a certain extent that no other team is in geographic proximity to TO. So how are these Murray contracts the problem?
You guys are relentless. I honestly don't care. Continue taking one step forward two steps back and let's be the laughing stock of professional sports.

Tyler2829

Jun 20, 2009
Rochester, NY

Okposo is the one that hurts the most...longest and highest cap hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad