Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
At this point he's probably already worth very little. If there isn't a trade out there to convert him into another struggling player of similar status (at this point you're probably looking at Honka/Fleury caliber players) then the best bet would be to plug him into the NHL and hope he's a better NHL player than AHL player. He wouldn't be the first and his passenger mentality might work with talented line mates. Too bad we have 0 NHL caliber centers to play him with. The problem is that if you call him up and stick him Vlad Sobotka for the last 30 games of the season and he puts up 2 points because Sobotka is **** then it gets real hard to convince other teams he's worth trading for.

I would think other organizations are smart enough to be able to isolate Nylander’s game from his play with a guy who is a blackhole if offense. When I see Nylander, I see a guy in the wrong organization that has no idea how to develop high end talent. You put Nylander in the Tampa organization, or Boston, and he would be in the NHL today ripping it up.

This is why I fear for the development of a guy like Mittelstadt or Thompson. We’re so worried about guys playing like a grinder that we kill any creativity they may possess, creativity that is useful to keep their confidence up. It’s what you guys get without an organization that’s “cares” so much about development, that our coaches and management develop in their jobs/position along side our players at the same time. That surely won’t bite us in the butt.

Reactions: sabremike

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Not even close. Persson didn’t even sniff the NHL.

Further to that, Nylander’s still in the AHL because he’s only 20 and there’s no need to rush him. Especially with Botts running things.

He may never live up to the hype of 8th overall. And he may never be more than a 10-15 goal 3rd line winger. But he’ll be in the NHL.

Well I did say "worst since...". Anyway, I'm not optimistic about Nylander so that pick will always irk me considering the better options taken shortly after. I know the issue isn't settled yet, and I hope to be wrong at some point before the year 2025.

As far as Janmark, I don't even know what Dallas is wanting for there sell-offs. Maybe just futures, and if so Buffalo isn't swimming in picks after the 1st rd this June. More reason why I'd expect a Rochester guy to be involved, if Botterill even tries for a vet roster player.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Not even close. Persson didn’t even sniff the NHL.

Further to that, Nylander’s still in the AHL because he’s only 20 and there’s no need to rush him. Especially with Botts running things.

He may never live up to the hype of 8th overall. And he may never be more than a 10-15 goal 3rd line winger. But he’ll be in the NHL.
Probably all correct. The thing I key in on as well as the 20 yr old subject. The kid has a couple more AHL seasons to get it together if he is going to take the next step to consistency for a top 6 role. There is no rush you are correct, let him develop at his time line.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I would think other organizations are smart enough to be able to isolate Nylander’s game from his play with a guy who is a blackhole if offense. When I see Nylander, I see a guy in the wrong organization that has no idea how to develop high end talent. You put Nylander in the Tampa organization, or Boston, and he would be in the NHL today ripping it up.

This is why I fear for the development of a guy like Mittelstadt or Thompson. We’re so worried about guys playing like a grinder that we kill any creativity they may possess, creativity that is useful to keep their confidence up. It’s what you guys get without an organization that’s “cares” so much about development, that our coaches and management develop in their jobs/position along side our players at the same time. That surely won’t bite us in the butt.

This is ridiculous. The problem is with drafting. Players who have disappointed as prospects in Buffalo haven't lit anything up elsewhere in the NHL. The idea that Nylander would be an impact player in TB is laughable. He wouldn't sniff their current roster, and if he did he would just ride somebody's coat tails for some points, if that. Such an over-the-top negative take on the organization.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Janmark was very good as a c in Sweden, mostly thanks to his mobility and passing. Probably not strong enough to ever be a 2C in the NHL but definately someone that should improve the team on short/medium turn.

I’d say we take him and Nichuskin for future considerations or straight swap for Beaulieu.

Reactions: Reddawg

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think Janmark is too weak on the puck and defensively to be a center for us, but there’s no reason he couldn’t be a 20-20 guy on the wing for us if he’s getting consistent time in the top 9. Dallas drops him to the 4th line too often and that’s hurting him.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
I still think its too early to give up on Nylander. Just because there might be other F prospects who could overtake him doesn't mean it'll happen. He turns 21 in March, not all development paths are equal, more experience, maturity & a playoff run with Roch will only help him continue to grow. I'm confident Botts will continue to let him develop before tossing him aside in a trade for a short term C fix. Yes, a guy like Tierney is a solid, young enough piece, but in as little as a year he might not even be needed in a 3C role with growth from Mitts and potentially Asplund and Larry continuing to lock down his role, not too mention potential free agents that don't cost assets outside of $. I just think its shortsighted to dump him already.

Reactions: Reddawg

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I completely agree re: Nylander. This is the first year he would be in the AHL under normal circumstances and it’s too soon to bail on him. There’s still a lot of time and development left.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Would be nice to pull of the kind of moves Shero did for the Devils with Johansson and Palmieri.

The glaring hole at 2C has been discussed to death and beyond but other than that I think my wishlist contains:
Shutdown RHD that gets the opposition frustrated and fast wingers that helps us score on the rush/counter attack.

It would be sadistically joyful to play like the old school czech republic especially since I think it will be hard to out offense Tampa/Toronto and the other powerhouses. Imagine being the most hated, destructive and boring team in the league. I’d love it.

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
I wouldn't mind a TDL that leads to some combination of Beaulieu out / Guhle out / Janmark in / Coyle in

I don't get the love affair with Coyle. He's really not much of a finished product. Sure, he's an alright rental, but giving up a 21 year old defensemen for him, doesn't make much sense to me. Janmark shouldn't cost too much, he's been abysmal for the most part this season.

Reactions: Eichel9

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I don't get the love affair with Coyle. He's really not much of a finished product. Sure, he's an alright rental, but giving up a 21 year old defensemen for him, doesn't make much sense to me. Janmark shouldn't cost too much, he's been abysmal for the most part this season.

He reeks of a change of scenery guy. A Chris Gratton shot in the dark. Worst case, we flip him for Danny Briere.

Reactions: pf8363

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
One of these has a person who should be scratched on the fourth pair.

I have no faith that it will play out that way.

Last week we learned that he was, with admittedly limited minutes, the top goal above replacement producer in the league.

Phil Housley keeps replacing him.

If it doesn’t stop...Phil Housley needs to be fired.

Reactions: sabremike

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Worst case you spend valuable assets on him, he underwhelms and he either walks in free agency in a year and a half or you trade him for pennies on the dollar.

I agree with you. But the phrase you use is cringe worthy. 100 pennies is still pennies on the dollar. The meaning is there, but the way it is said is beyond stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad