Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Yep. Clearly what's being said.

Acting like a 6 year veteran who has been one of the worst players in his own zone in the league all 6 years is some player we shouldn't explore trading because he flips tires in the off season is grasping at nothing.

I can’t find a poster that mentioned this as a reason why they wouldn’t explore a trade....

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
I haven't watched Vancouver at all these past few years, but my memory of virtanen as a prospect was all tools, no toolbox. Has he progressed?

If not, I fear we would need an extremely high IQ center to work with him, which is something we're lacking at the moment. It would be the Evander Kane situation all over again.
Also, Virtanen was reported to have character issues iirc. Something that can get blown out of proportion with young players sometimes, but is still a red flag.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Also, Virtanen was reported to have character issues iirc. Something that can get blown out of proportion with young players sometimes, but is still a red flag.

Can you find that report? Not doubting you.

It just would be interesting as to who the “report” was from. Some legit source, or a poser with a Twitter account, or something else...

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
I would do Nylander for Virtanen

I'd love to add Virtanen but that price is just a tad steep only because Nylander holds more value I'd imagine around the league at this point. I'm not a Nylander believer and would do that swap on a personal level today, but I also view Nylander as a great potential trade chip for a higher end player and that's my only reasoning for saying no to this.

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Can you find that report? Not doubting you.

It just would be interesting as to who the “report” was from. Some legit source, or a poser with a Twitter account, or something else...
There was talk on here in his player thread and on reddit of him partying too much and having weight/conditioning issues. Some of it documented apparently on his own later deleted social media.

Look, I'm not one to spread any rumors, it's just what I remembered and as I said, things often get blown out of proportion. But given how heavily criticized e.g. Evander Kane got for something simlar (minus the conditioning issues), I was kind of surprised no one mentioned it with the current Virtanen talk.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Take out Tierney and you have something close to fair value.

I'm as down on Nylander as anyone... disliked the pick from the moment it was made. But he's not worth just a 2nd.

Not that Sens fans are the be all-end all, but their board makes this deal all day.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
I'm as down on Nylander as anyone... disliked the pick from the moment it was made. But he's not worth just a 2nd.

Not that Sens fans are the be all-end all, but their board makes this deal all day.
That's because Tierney's nothing special

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY

Assuming Ottawa has their own 2nd here but that's basically a late 1st. I would say that's very close to Nylander's value at this point. Look around at the amount of recent 1st round picks, even high ones, that have gotten traded for almost nothing just a few years after being drafted. There's a point of no return with many of these picks where you can either recoup a small portion of what you paid to draft them or they're basically throw aways in trades. Nylander is quickly approaching that. Dylan Strome did a hell of a lot more in the AHL and he was packaged with #12 overall Perlini for #20 overall Schmaltz. Which is probably part of the reason Botteril is keeping Nylander in the AHL. Because he will tank his value even more struggling in the NHL the same way Strome and Perlini did.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Assuming Ottawa has their own 2nd here but that's basically a late 1st. I would say that's very close to Nylander's value at this point. Look around at the amount of recent 1st round picks, even high ones, that have gotten traded for almost nothing just a few years after being drafted. There's a point of no return with many of these picks where you can either recoup a small portion of what you paid to draft them or they're basically throw aways in trades. Nylander is quickly approaching that. Dylan Strome did a hell of a lot more in the AHL and he was packaged with #12 overall Perlini for #20 overall Schmaltz. Which is probably part of the reason Botteril is keeping Nylander in the AHL. Because he will tank his value even more struggling in the NHL the same way Strome and Perlini did.

Why are you using draft pick to value actual NHLers?

Schmaltz is a 50 point top 6 forward who can play on a top line.

He was traded for Perlini, a 30 point forward playing bottom 6 minutes but loaded with potential; and Strome, who has top draft pick potential.

If Nylander stays on pace he'll match Strome's last season in Tucson. Same age in AHL production.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
If Nylander stays on pace he'll match Strome's last season in Tucson. Same age in AHL production.

If Nylander stays on his current pace he's going to barely surpass last seasons totals. He has 7 points in the last 2 months.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I would just trade Nylander before he's worth nothing

At this point he's probably already worth very little. If there isn't a trade out there to convert him into another struggling player of similar status (at this point you're probably looking at Honka/Fleury caliber players) then the best bet would be to plug him into the NHL and hope he's a better NHL player than AHL player. He wouldn't be the first and his passenger mentality might work with talented line mates. Too bad we have 0 NHL caliber centers to play him with. The problem is that if you call him up and stick him Vlad Sobotka for the last 30 games of the season and he puts up 2 points because Sobotka is shit then it gets real hard to convince other teams he's worth trading for.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I'd love to add Virtanen but that price is just a tad steep only because Nylander holds more value I'd imagine around the league at this point. I'm not a Nylander believer and would do that swap on a personal level today, but I also view Nylander as a great potential trade chip for a higher end player and that's my only reasoning for saying no to this.

I know I’m just getting really really frustrated with Nylander , 3 goals in his last 20 games . This is Nylanders last chance too prove himself and yes I know he started off well but his consistency has been horrendous as of late and is looking likely too finish the season with 40 - 45 points .

I’m all for trading him at the deadline for another big name younger player . It sucks beacsue I had high hopes for him this year but he just can’t put it together which is really sad because The Amerks have a great team

Honestly if he’s still here at the Deadkine I would just recall him and put him on Middlestadts or Eichels wing and just see what happens

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Friedman says Dallas is shopping Janmark, he’s blindingly fast and played a lot of center in Sweden. Having a rough year but has definitely shown he can score in the past. Worth a look?

Reactions: Sabresfansince1980

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Friedman says Dallas is shopping Janmark, he’s blindingly fast and played a lot of center in Sweden. Having a rough year but has definitely shown he can score in the past. Worth a look?

Yes. I would hope Janmark for Nylander could happen. It's not my ideal player acquisition, or my ideal return for Nylander, but Nylander is teetering (and I say that graciously) on bust, and Janmark is better than his trade value right now. Janmark probably isn't the answer at C, but could probably be more effective than Sobotka, and certainly be a good addition on the wing.

I think Nylander is being kept in Rochester because he will fall flat in Buffalo, and Botterill is hoping to increase his trade value by collecting points in the AHL...except Nylander is ruining that plan right now. Worst draft selection since Persson over Nick Foligno.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
I think Nylander is being kept in Rochester because he will fall flat in Buffalo, and Botterill is hoping to increase his trade value by collecting points in the AHL...except Nylander is ruining that plan right now. Worst draft selection since Persson over Nick Foligno.

Not even close. Persson didn’t even sniff the NHL.

Further to that, Nylander’s still in the AHL because he’s only 20 and there’s no need to rush him. Especially with Botts running things.

He may never live up to the hype of 8th overall. And he may never be more than a 10-15 goal 3rd line winger. But he’ll be in the NHL.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

He is an NHL winger. It depends on the cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad