Speculation: Roster Speculation Part VI: The Trade Deadline Approaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
They really don’t. He’ll need to be tendered at $3.3 Million, which is a lot for a 30 pt player.

Do you have anyone else in mind? If Burakovsky was ripping it up, he wouldn't be available. Hence, you take a risk. Then again, Oleg Kvasha arguably had a lot of potential, too, so idfk. How do you separate your Oleg Kvashas from your William Karlssons (or, perhaps, your Jeff Skinners)?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Vancouver reportedly is listening to interest in Virtanen. He's young at 22, large, sometimes physical sometimes not and fast with a great shot - he has 11 goals which would be 3rd tied with Reinhart on the Sabres. I'm definitely interested. But what's a fair price - we have the SJ and STL 1st picks, McCabe, Nylander(who had the best game I've seen him have as a pro last night vs VAN's farm team), Sheary, Nelson, Beaulieu, Olofsson, O'Reagan.

Would you trade Ristolainen for Quinn Hughes and Virtanen?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
As the NHL and AHL seasons have progressed, I find myself leaning in the direction of Botterill's as to date stated plan of getting help from Rochester.
2 players I could see moving out are Sobotka and Scandella. Both with 1 yr left on their respective deals, both still viable options as depth players for playoff teams.
2 players I could see moving in are C.J. Smith and Danny O'Regan. Both are showing progress in the minors, both are impact players at that level and have earned a chance imo.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Do you have anyone else in mind? If Burakovsky was ripping it up, he wouldn't be available. Hence, you take a risk. Then again, Oleg Kvasha arguably had a lot of potential, too, so idfk. How do you separate your Oleg Kvashas from your William Karlssons (or, perhaps, your Jeff Skinners)?
Well I’m not a scout, but I’d guess to get it right you have to take a lot of swings. Those swings should be cheap, or you won’t get many. If you want Burakovsky, then wait until the Caps let him walk in the off-season.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver reportedly is listening to interest in Virtanen. He's young at 22, large, sometimes physical sometimes not and fast with a great shot - he has 11 goals which would be 3rd tied with Reinhart on the Sabres. I'm definitely interested. But what's a fair price - we have the SJ and STL 1st picks, McCabe, Nylander(who had the best game I've seen him have as a pro last night vs VAN's farm team), Sheary, Nelson, Beaulieu, Olofsson, O'Reagan.

Would you trade Ristolainen for Quinn Hughes and Virtanen?
Virtanen is nothing but a bottom 6 forward, we have plenty of them already.

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Minimal interest in Virtanen. Wouldn't give up much.

Huge interest in Hughes but no way they're moving him. And although I believe Hughes will become a much better player than Risto, you can't just pluck Risto out of the lineup without an immediate replacement. There'd have to be an adjacent move for a top 4 RD. But anyways, this isn't a trade that would ever happen in reality.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Hahahahahahaha...as if Vancouver is just going to toss Quinn Hughes in. You might as well ask for Petersson while you’re at it.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
This Ristolainen trade talk is an absolute f***ing joke.

Never seen a player so undervalued and underappreciated.

Buffalo has a real knack for bashing one of it's own.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Why does Hughes-Virtanen for Ristolainen interest Vancouver?

Because he's a young veteran on a good contract who's played 1D and quarterbacked a PP for years through a lot of adversity. He's big and physical. Vancouver is in the weaker conference and their owner wants playoffs, their rebuild has taken a quantum leap forward because of Pettersson's emergence as a superstar. I wouldn't trade Ristolainen straight up for Hughes but Virtanen still has upside to break through as a top 6 power forward and is available.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Hahahahahahaha...as if Vancouver is just going to toss Quinn Hughes in. You might as well ask for Petersson while you’re at it.

What would make you think Hughes is the throw in? I think Risto is worth more than Hughes so the add is Virtanen.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
What would make you think Hughes is the throw in? I think Risto is worth more than Hughes so the add is Virtanen.
And then we actually find out how much Risto is worth to us.

I'd rather trade McCabe for Virtanen straight up than Risto for Virtanen Hughes.

But I probably wouldn't do either.

Reactions: Buffaloed

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
This Ristolainen trade talk is an absolute ****ing joke.

Never seen a player so undervalued and underappreciated.

Buffalo has a real knack for bashing one of it's own.
Many of us realize that he has a profound weakness in his game which is getting the puck out of the zone in team control. He is way below average NHL defensemen at that skill.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Many of us realize that he has a profound weakness in his game which is getting the puck out of the zone in team control. He is way below average NHL defensemen at that skill.
Yes,

Just like O'Reilly isn't fast enough.

One step forward, two steps back is quickly becoming the Sabres new motto.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
I haven't watched Vancouver at all these past few years, but my memory of virtanen as a prospect was all tools, no toolbox. Has he progressed?

If not, I fear we would need an extremely high IQ center to work with him, which is something we're lacking at the moment. It would be the Evander Kane situation all over again.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Right. Nothing there with Risto at all.

Yep. Clearly what's being said.

Acting like a 6 year veteran who has been one of the worst players in his own zone in the league all 6 years is some player we shouldn't explore trading because he flips tires in the off season is grasping at nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->