Roster Speculation, 2018 offseason Part 5/ Post-free agency edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
Sounds like no one wants to trade them now even with protection. And the STL pick is only top-ten protected. I can't even remember the last time a 1st round pick was traded without lottery protection, not counting Schneider for Boeser which happened at the draft.

*tears of sadness from Sens fans*

Reactions: muhmuhMatt

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I asked this before but its worth repeating ..... If Skinner has a great year with lets say Mitts and they tear up the NHL. Are you seriously suggesting we still can't sign him long term because of Okposo being here?

It will probably mean you need to make a sacrifice elsewhere. Be it moving Reinhart or continuing to ice a putrid defence....

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
It will probably mean you need to make a sacrifice elsewhere. Be it moving Reinhart or continuing to ice a putrid defence....

Not in the foreseeable future. We've got a good chunk of $ coming off the books next summer from entirely useless players (Moulson + Pommer). That gives us plenty of space to add Skinner. Reinhart's deal is a non-factor because he's going to be signed with already existing cap space. In 2 years, we have to re-up Mittelstadt, but we drop Bogosian and Sobotka's contracts, and the cap will continue to rise, providing plenty of space. If Dahlin is anything near what everyone expects he is, our defense will be fine. Dahlin being a true #1 lets other players in our system slot into roles they're much better suited for. Risto as a #2, Scandella as a 2nd pairing D. Guhle or Pilut should be able to round out that top 4 sooner than later. If we lose players due to cap crunch, it won't be anyone important. It'll be guys at the bottom end of the roster falling off.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
This is a fairly pointless response but it fits the theme of your previous responses. Lots of melodrama and clutching of pearls over a financial situation (the cap) but little factoring of our actual cap/financial situation over the next several years or how NHL team generally handle these situations.

and @OkimLom from here on

Assuming Skinner clicks with one of our centers and merits an extension in the first place. Any deal he signs will be at least 2 or 3 years into it before any cap issues might arise. If they arise at all. I don't know of any team that would move on from a player they wanted to keep over worries of a cap crunch 2 or 3 years down the line. They would sign the player and deal with the cap crunch if and when it came.

Botts has a pretty open canvass cap/contract -wise to build this team going forward.

Summer of 2019 ---> Pommer, Moulson come off the books. Lets assume for the sake of discussion Skinner signs for 7x7.5mil and Sam is signed for 6yrsx6mil. That would give us 9 forwards, 5 dmen and a goalie under contract as of right now for next year, 3 notable RFAs (Erod, Ullmark and McCabe) with at least 16mil to sign the RFAs and fill out the roster. Much of which will be filled in by some of the youngsters we have entering the system or in it at the moment on ELCs. No cap problem next summer.

Summer of 2020 ---> Almost 20mil comes off the books in the form of Bogo, Scandella, Sheary, Wilson, Sobotka, Hunwick, Nelson. Would obviously need less than half of that to extend Mitts and use whats left to re-sign who you want from this group. Again no real cap issues.

Summer 2021 ---> Hard to say since there will be so many moving parts in the next few years. But with Dahlin's 2nd contract looming this is when there might be a cap crunch.

Obviously things can change due to trades and other issues in those offseasons.

I asked this before but its worth repeating ..... If Skinner has a great year with lets say Mitts and they tear up the NHL. Are you seriously suggesting we still can't sign him long term because of Okposo being here?

The people talking about cap situation are talking about 2021 and beyond, when Dahlin is going to net 12 million in good likelihood, and our goalie tandem will cost at least 6+ million. Nobody has argued we're in trouble until then. And yes, there's room for Skinner for sure on-top of what we have. But not for Skinner+Ellis (without the sweetheart contract he just signed) unless the cap made serious bumps. Holy strawman batman.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
This is a fairly pointless response but it fits the theme of your previous responses. Lots of melodrama and clutching of pearls over a financial situation (the cap) but little factoring of our actual cap/financial situation over the next several years or how NHL team generally handle these situations.

and @OkimLom from here on

Assuming Skinner clicks with one of our centers and merits an extension in the first place. Any deal he signs will be at least 2 or 3 years into it before any cap issues might arise. If they arise at all. I don't know of any team that would move on from a player they wanted to keep over worries of a cap crunch 2 or 3 years down the line. They would sign the player and deal with the cap crunch if and when it came.

Botts has a pretty open canvass cap/contract -wise to build this team going forward.

Summer of 2019 ---> Pommer, Moulson come off the books. Lets assume for the sake of discussion Skinner signs for 7x7.5mil and Sam is signed for 6yrsx6mil. That would give us 9 forwards, 5 dmen and a goalie under contract as of right now for next year, 3 notable RFAs (Erod, Ullmark and McCabe) with at least 16mil to sign the RFAs and fill out the roster. Much of which will be filled in by some of the youngsters we have entering the system or in it at the moment on ELCs. No cap problem next summer.

Summer of 2020 ---> Almost 20mil comes off the books in the form of Bogo, Scandella, Sheary, Wilson, Sobotka, Hunwick, Nelson. Would obviously need less than half of that to extend Mitts and use whats left to re-sign who you want from this group. Again no real cap issues.

Summer 2021 ---> Hard to say since there will be so many moving parts in the next few years. But with Dahlin's 2nd contract looming this is when there might be a cap crunch.

Obviously things can change due to trades and other issues in those offseasons.

My requirement for re-upping Skinner is two fold:

#1. He fits in well with the team, both on and off the ice.
#2. The team reasonably looks like its contention window could start during Skinner's peak years.

I would draw the parallel to the 07-08 Blackhawks in the level of success I'd want. Kane and Toews came in and made an immediate impact. Basically, Dahlin and Mittelstadt would have to make immediate impacts, Eichel would have to take the next step, as would Reinhart, and probably we'd have to see 2-3 of the young forwards/d-men step up (I'd consider those the 24 and under forwards/D-men). Just a general feeling that the playoffs are happening next year and better things beyond it.

A reminder that in the summer of 08, the blackhawks signed Campbell and Hossa, which obviously won't be available to us.

Reactions: brian_griffin

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
I think it takes 6 years 6.5 per to get a Skinner deal done in Buffalo. I’m thinking if he hit the open market he could get 7.5 though.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Imaging a surprise like Nylander or Asplund being 20 goal scorers this year...getting an unexpected 20 goals from someone would be big.

Last edited:

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Not in the foreseeable future. We've got a good chunk of $ coming off the books next summer from entirely useless players (Moulson + Pommer). That gives us plenty of space to add Skinner. Reinhart's deal is a non-factor because he's going to be signed with already existing cap space. In 2 years, we have to re-up Mittelstadt, but we drop Bogosian and Sobotka's contracts, and the cap will continue to rise, providing plenty of space. If Dahlin is anything near what everyone expects he is, our defense will be fine. Dahlin being a true #1 lets other players in our system slot into roles they're much better suited for. Risto as a #2, Scandella as a 2nd pairing D. Guhle or Pilut should be able to round out that top 4 sooner than later. If we lose players due to cap crunch, it won't be anyone important. It'll be guys at the bottom end of the roster falling off.

Build from the back & down the middle.

Do not pay wingers (unless they are OV/Kane level) or role players.

Im not against signing Skinner long term just yet but he will need to perform brilliantly this season to justify it. Having roughly 20m taken up by 3 wingers is not clever.

Dahlin could reach his full potential but he will never do everything himself. Has watching Ristolainen for the past couple of years taught some people nothing? You build a solid group around Dahlin for him to be most effective. Along with Eichel & hopefully Mitt +Asplund realising potential down the middle. Find the right 4C & we're good. Wingers & goalies are interchangeable.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
The people talking about cap situation are talking about 2021 and beyond, when Dahlin is going to net 12 million in good likelihood, and our goalie tandem will cost at least 6+ million. Nobody has argued we're in trouble until then. And yes, there's room for Skinner for sure on-top of what we have. But not for Skinner+Ellis (without the sweetheart contract he just signed) unless the cap made serious bumps. Holy strawman batman.

Ya I showed you they could both fit, Ellis and Skinner, with high caps for everyone.

Stop ignoring things to ramble on with these silly points.

Reactions: ZZamboni

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I think it takes 6 years 6.5 per to get a Skinner deal done in Buffalo. I’m thinking if he hit the open market he could get 7.5 though.

If you’re Skinner, do you think you should get less than Kane? 6.5 for 6 would be leaving money on the table. He might be up for it if he really likes the organization and the proximity to his family.

LetsDoughBuffalo

Apr 4, 2014
Imaging a surprise like Nylander or Asplund being 20 goal scorers this year...getting an unexpected 20 goals from someone would be big.

I'm not sure Asplund ever hits 20 goals in a season anytime in his career.

Maybe once or twice, but I think those seasons would be outliers.

I think he's more of a 10-15 goals, 20-35 assists, defensive assignment and penalty killing centreman.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I'm not sure Asplund ever hits 20 goals in a season anytime in his career.

Maybe once or twice, but I think those seasons would be outliers.

I think he's more of a 10-15 goals, 20-35 assists, defensive assignment and penalty killing centreman.
I think we should let the kids get into a game before we decide what they can and can't do. Asplund has shown to be one of our best prospects over the past two years, he's very crafty with the puck and has a good, deceptive shot. He can score NHL goals.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
If you’re Skinner, do you think you should get less than Kane? 6.5 for 6 would be leaving money on the table. He might be up for it if he really likes the organization and the proximity to his family.

I knew someone was gonna reference the Kane signing, that wasn’t a good signing...

labbatt

Feb 27, 2014
Kane's contract is bad, but I think he should get more than Skinner. Yes his shot selection sucked, but he did add some grit and team toughness that we will never get from Skinner while putting up similar numbers. Outside of Bogo (if he plays) who on this team is going to stickup for Eich and Mits?

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Gotta figure Edmonton will be looking at the waiver wire for a defenseman - please take Beaulieu. Would suck a bit to lose Casey Nelson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->