Speculation: Roster Speculation, 2018 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
A lot of bigger fish to fry, obviously, but I'm interested to see who they bring in as the third goaltender on the depth chart/Rochester starter. I still think the Sabres are attractive to goaltenders considering that neither Hutton nor Ullmark have ever been starters in the league. I think Hutchinson would be a good add for Rochester, but I wonder if another team gives him a NHL backup position.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
A lot of bigger fish to fry, obviously, but I'm interested to see who they bring in as the third goaltender on the depth chart/Rochester starter. I still think the Sabres are attractive to goaltenders considering that neither Hutton nor Ullmark have ever been starters in the league. I think Hutchinson would be a good add for Rochester, but I wonder if another team gives him a NHL backup position.
I'm very interested in this myself. It will be a key signing with Ullmark and possibly Hutton on the NHL roster.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Firing up a Hutton thread since Strickland is pretty much a mouthpiece for all things Blues related.

Sad to see Kempny off the market, but it's nice to see him taking a value deal rather than someone giving him stupid money.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Lehner has a very strong personality and is pretty outspoken. Pretty sure this is as much about off ice/locker room stuff as it is about on ice performance.
I'm not one to hugely buy into "culture" details, but it's as obvious as anything that "I suck because the league is rigged against us and refuse to practice shootouts and consistently fall apart in critical moments" Lehner was a dark cloud in that room, and that Hutton appears to be a great locker room guy. Identical production with that swap is an upgrade, there are very few actually good goalies out there (I would have liked Bernier but he's not someone I'm crying about missing out on) and we have an asset that would have been spent on unnamed, unproven goalie otherwise. (But Grubauer, you know what they say, when Mitch Korn has a young backup playing well you should definitely trade for them to be your starter)

Hopefully Linus solidifies the starting job by Christmas.

Genny Screamer

Jul 11, 2017
Buffalo, NY

It's not unusual for goalies to miss significant time due to injury (pulled groins, etc.). Who would be the first recall? Wilcox? Sabres are starting to collect some young talent. We may need to start collecting some goalie prospects in trade. We can't rely on Luukkonen as our only future goalie savior. I think we should have at least invested that 6th rd pick on a goalie.

sabrefan27

Mar 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
Hutchinson would be most ideal if he’s willing. But I’m not expecting him. The list of goalies is thin. Sexton made a point of saying they wanted an experienced goalie. McKenna? McCollum? Coreau? Tokarski? Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s one of them. McKenna is widely considered a great teammate and has been to the Calder Cup two years in a row. But you wonder about age and all those games late in the year.

Deleted member 27798

It's not unusual for goalies to miss significant time due to injury (pulled groins, etc.). Who would be the first recall? Wilcox? Sabres are starting to collect some young talent. We may need to start collecting some goalie prospects in trade. We can't rely on Luukkonen as our only future goalie savior. I think we should have at least invested that 6th rd pick on a goalie.
Johansson??

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014

Yes they seem to need another body in the current system. Is there another Jack Campbell type project out there?

jcbeze

Dec 27, 2005

We'll probably sign a goalie for Roch

Reactions: Chainshot

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This is what our team looks like today:

Sheary Eichel Reinhart
Girgensons OReilly Okposo
Erod Mittelstadt Pominville
Smith Larson Bailey
Scandella Ristolainen
Dahlin Bogosian
Hunwick McCabe
Hutton
Ullmark
Beaulieu, Nelson, Baptiste

Still fairly bad looking. We’re that expected bogo injury away from going from bad defense, to very bad.

Only 4 million in cap space too! (I gave Reinhart 5.5)

t800rad

Jan 6, 2016
Sign Grabner 2/9, Hutton 3/12, then a couple vet 4th line forwards. Put Sam at center, and try to spread out the top 9 with balanced scoring. This setup puts 2 players on each line who I think are capable of top 6 production (~40 points) and also gives Mittelstadt time to break in on the wing. If RoR stays put him on the third line so he can play a few minutes less a game. Keep him fresher.

Sheary-Eichel-Grabner
Mittelstadt-Reinhart-Okposo
Girgensons-RoR-ERod
UFA-Larsson-UFA

Scandella-Risto
McCabe-Dahlin
Guhle-Bogosian
Nelson/Beaulieu

Hutton
Ullmark

Pominville?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We'll probably sign a goalie for Roch

Yep, the long-term starter for the Amerks is a distinct need. I would imagine some of the tweener type vets might be looking at the Buffalo situation and find it very compelling due to potential opportunity, be it injury or something else.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
I'll go out on a limb and say Hutton and Ullmark in 18-19 will outperform Lehner/Johnson in 17-18.

At the very least we have a competent 1B goalie. Are those worth 4 mil? Not really but he's off the books by the time Dahlin is ready. And we have Poms, Moulson and Bogo off the next two years.
That's not a limb, that's a trunk.

Not sure who, but someone was saying it'd take 4.5M per to sign Kempny.

He likely took a Washington discount. Can't imagine he'd more than 3M a year elsewhere
$2.5 per... that's ~Beaulieu money ;)

debaser66

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2012
I am already excited about the new season with all the young guys pushing in and Sheary plus new goalie tandem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->