Speculation: Roster Speculation 2014-2015, Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
I'd rather have him than either Mitchell or Flynn.

I have no issue with this sentiment. I'm just saying they really don't have a roster need he would fill right now.

I posted previously that he would be great for Rochester but thats not an option on a waiver claim

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun · 1m1 minute ago
Says NHL scout on new Leaf Panik: ``Great individual skill. No consistency.'' No question worth the gamble for a team like Toronto. Upside

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun · 1m1 minute ago
Says NHL scout on new Leaf Panik: ``Great individual skill. No consistency.'' No question worth the gamble for a team like Toronto. Upside

@coreypronman

Panik has always been a high skill/skating flashy type of player. Has struggled with consistency and all around game.

Panik had improved some consistency issues since turning pro in the AHL but not at the top level.

In those senses with minor differences in degrees of talent and style of play Panik is similar to the Holland acquisition at the time.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
You aren't including players being a year further into their development and players being slotted properly. This roster is far better than that roster.
In just to say that I agree with Stokes - because it's rare that I do.

Exactly

Our top line this year emerged last season Moulson/Ennis/Stafford. Our 2nd line last year, once the first emerged, was essentially Ott/Hodgson with D'Agostini. Our 3rd line became Girgs/Flynn with various wingers like Foligno, Leino in mix. Obviously after the deadline the lines got changed up.

Posters that don't think we improved greatly need to go look at the type of ice time guys like Ott, Leino, D'Agostini, among others, got. EDIT: The prominent regulars (based on total mins/atoi) we lost from the top 9 are Ott, Leino and D'Agostini. Two non NHLers and a 3rd line winger getting #1 winger minutes. We also demoted, as of now, Flynn from the top 9 to the 4th line. The replacements for those players are Gionta, Stewart and for now Reinhart. Foligno is sort of a replacement since he bounced back and forth between the 3rd and 4th lines.

And our 4th line is obviously greatly improved. No Scott or Ellis. We now have a line that can play NHL caliber hockey. Des/McCormick/Flynn or Mitchell. I consider Cody as somewhat of an add since he hardly played last year due to injury (only 29gms).
Nice post.

Apologies if anyone's posted this before, and our Sabres board corner of the internet world is too small to have enough impact, but imagine a phenomenon where you click on a youtube video of an early 2013-14 Sabres game and/or highlights, expecting to see an NHL-caliber roster, with NHL-caliber play, and instead are treated to the reality which was that team. In internet meme terms, you were "Ronrolled".

@BuffaloSabres

Thanks for these, Blitz.

didnt see this....

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl · 58 mins58 minutes ago

Jake McCabe's makeshift locker stall is gone. If he is too, Sabres are down to NHL limit of 23 players. Ted Nolan talking soon.
So, combined with the IR move, that means he won't be skating at all. Anything revealed re: nature of injury?

So let it be written, so let it be done.
The 2014-15 roster speculation thread is speculative no more!!!

If the Sabres don't put in a claim, there's no need for Panik. :laugh:

So the leafs already Paniked ??????
Cheeky...

Fitting that this thread is closing out right before the season begins...
Fun while it lasted.

WpgBuffan

Jun 9, 2008
Insider Trading just mentioned that there is still a lot of Tyler Myers activity. Mentioned Detroit and Anaheim as potential places where he could land.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Insider Trading just mentioned that there is still a lot of Tyler Myers activity. Mentioned Detroit and Anaheim as potential places where he could land.

I have no doubt there is still interest in Myers but ..I don't think there is much want in moving him from the Sabres.

Heraldic

Dec 12, 2013
Fire up the Myers trade rumors. Tim Murray has said he has a bias for players with big balls and a dislike for players that aren't brave. Myers isn't exactly a brave player...

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/600361

Is Dreger implying there that Murray is shopping Myers in order to make this team even worse? Or why Sabres being bad this year would have anything to do with shopping Myers. It's not like they're shopping Tyler Ennis either.

I still hope that Myers stays in Buffalo. He has shown a lot more aggressiveness during last year and even in the last game. Not to mention that he was by a wide margin our best d-man and it's likely that is going to be the case the whole season and perhaps the next season as well.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
If that is still the price, Myers isn't going anywhere.

That price misstated the Kypreos tweet to which it was alluding. Kypreos tweeted the price was three pieces, including a 1st round pick. So 1st round pick + ______ + _______.

And that was at last year's draft. I think a trade partner can reasonably argue that if it's a 2015 1st, which is a strong draft, then Buffalo is only getting that and one player, or two players that aren't as good as what they were asking for in addition to the 2014 1st.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
That price misstated the Kypreos tweet to which it was alluding. Kypreos tweeted the price was three pieces, including a 1st round pick. So 1st round pick + ______ + _______.

And that was at last year's draft. I think a trade partner can reasonably argue that if it's a 2015 1st, which is a strong draft, then Buffalo is only getting that and one player, or two players that aren't as good as what they were asking for in addition to the 2014 1st.

If Murray not only traded him, but traded him IN the division, it would be a pretty damning thought of his opinion of him.

Look at the organizational needs long term:

IF we traded Myers, we'd have an immediate need for another RH'd d-man.

Salary would need to come back to stay above the floor.

it really doesn't make sense for us to move Myers unless given a significant overpayment at this point. Even if he is a 2nd pairing d-man rather than a top pairing, the overpayment is maybe a little over a million a year and that will drop as the cap rises. I think he will always have some value and even if we have to retain salary to move him later.

JLewyB

May 6, 2013
Pegulaville
Larkin could be the guy they were targeting in the first when they were trying to trade up their 3 2nds. Larkin + a 1st would be a good start.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@BuffaloSabres

Lines at practice this morning
Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Hodgson-Girgensons-Gionta
Foligno-Reinhart-Stewart

Deslauriers-Mitchell-Flynn #Sabres

A change in D pairings as well, per @ChrisRyndak:
Gorges/Myers
Weber/Meszaros
Benoit/Ristolainen
Zadorov/Strachan #Sabres

@ChrisRyndak

Moulson-Ennis-Stafford
Foligno-Reinhart-Stewart
Hodgson-Girgensons-Gionta
Deslauriers-Mitchell-Flynn
No McCormick #sabres

Flynn in the middle with Deslauriers and Mitchell. #sabres

Last edited:

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
Media folks are just repackaging their quarterly reports that if Buffalo can get a ludicrous return from a team that overvalues him, they will, and the same people with the same agendas keep taking the same bait.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Please point out where I have been "ridiculously over the top". I'm not sure how you can say that.

In this thread basically calling him a ball-less ***** and the type of player Murray dislikes. Before that in the GBU bashing him with such little insight into the game itself since you, by your own admission, missed the first two periods.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Please point out where I have been "ridiculously over the top". I'm not sure how you can say that.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=90637793&highlight=#post90637793

Tim Murray has said he has a bias for players with big balls and a dislike for players that aren't brave. Myers isn't exactly a brave player...

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=90618407&highlight=#post90618407

I only saw the third period, but that's what I was seeing as well. Myers had quite a few moments. It's one thing if he's your fourth best defenseman, but when he is your most important blue-liner, it's no surprise that this team struggles as much as it does. They weren't jarring moments you can't live with, just "we need you to be better" moments. When this team is good, Myers is going to have to have a significantly smaller role.

:shakehead

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
In this thread basically calling him a ball-less ***** and the type of player Murray dislikes. Before that in the GBU bashing him with such little insight into the game itself since you, by your own admission, missed the first two periods.

You think he is the type of player that people would say has big balls? I think he is the opposite. If that is unreasonable, fine. I think it's true. I didn't watch the first two periods, it's what I saw in the third. And it's what I've seen for the past few seasons. He has a track record. You can be critical of a player without bashing him. If what I said in GBU constitutes bashing, we need to rethink what bashing is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad