Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. XII - The Sell Off

Status
Not open for further replies.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Continue on...

Previous thread: Roster/Rumors/Speculation/Trade Talk - 2021-22 Pt. XI - The Dead Cat

Last post from previous thread:

I’ll have to take the middle ground on the recent comments regarding Lou.

I don’t think it’s an age thing. Lou has always had the mindset of immediate or near term gratification with trades for current NHL players rather than picks or prospects. There may be some prior deals in his distant past that go against that tendency but I am not aware of them and I’m too lazy to look it up.

I can definitely see him looking at a re-tool but thinking he will rebuild is far-fetched. I don’t think it has anything to do with his age. It’s just Lou being Lou and I happen to agree with that approach.

If it doesn’t work then I disavow any knowledge of this post. This message will self destruct just like Peter Graves cassette tape in the old Mission Impossible.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
See clutter is still running on the top line. Can’t understand why we have trouble scoring?

BarzyClub

Jan 17, 2018
See clutter is still running on the top line. Can’t understand why we have trouble scoring?
He’s a legit first liner ! Lou’s propping him up to ensure he gets a 1st rounder in return . Looks like Cal will be the first domino to fall .

Let the retool begin!

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
He’s a legit first liner ! Lou’s propping him up to ensure he gets a 1st rounder in return . Looks like Cal will be the first domino to fall .

Let the retool begin!
Clutterbuck as a 1st liner makes me depressed

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

We've been trying to find a legit 1st line wing since the days of Ziggy Palffy. That's over 20 years ago. Since then whether it was Oleg Kvasha, Matt Moulson, or Jon Sim...The top-end drafting of this team has been downright embarrassing and has led to a deficiency where players like Clutterbuck are tried next to Barzal.

Draft well and become the Avalanche/Lightning, or don't and become the issues we have now.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
We've been trying to find a legit 1st line wing since the days of Ziggy Palffy. That's over 20 years ago. Since then whether it was Oleg Kvasha, Matt Moulson, or Jon Sim...The top-end drafting of this team has been downright embarrassing and has led to a deficiency where players like Clutterbuck are tried next to Barzal.

Draft well and become the Avalanche/Lightning, or don't and become the issues we have now.
we STILL can't find that winger, but I bet that the Knights can just buy one right away lol.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

Yes. Yes. Yes. Can this team find a Point or Kucherov? Can they draft a Boldy with their pick this year? Can they draft more players like Pulock and Pelech and less players like Simon Holmstrom and Aaron Ness? Swings and misses happen. But the Islanders are essentially batting .250 under Lou with one homer in Dobson. We need more home run swings.

Reactions: periferal

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
The biggest difference from last year to now and the most glaring
Is the Defense has dramatically changed , a key injury to Pulock ,Greene being much
Slower and Chara being super slow. Any changes need to start there! After that there are still too many needs up front as the 4 th line is essentially a weak version of what is needed so it doesn’t leave a lot of hope, a reset is required that would take 2 or 3 years

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
This is the issue I have had with Trotz on and off since he came, but now it has just become more glaring. We have lost two games in a row and look just totally listless. It is not like we were competitive in Calgary. If anything, the performance was even WORSE than the score. Yet, Trotz comes back with the exact same lineup and line combos when you have Bellows and Palmieri sitting out for Ross Johnston. Why doesn't Bailey ever get benched the way Bellows, Wahlstrom and Palmieri do? Why do we have to keep putting out BOTH Greene and Chara every game when Salo is younger, faster, better and proven to be capable for several weeks this year? He is just so stubborn and I honestly feel once he likes or dislikes you, your fate behind the scenes as a player on this team is sealed. The fact that Wahlstrom has never once been tried, not once with Barzal, but Clutterbuck is now being given multiple games in that spot is pretty much all that needs to be said about that situation. I genuinely wonder if he actually even wants this team to score. I think he wants to win every game 1-0 in a shootout. Just tired of the same old crap every night.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
If you take home run swings, you're going to bat less than .250.
that's a really crappy analogy first and foremost from yearly lottery, just saying
What’s concerning is how Beauvillier has arguably played his best hockey on the fourth line this season.

If I’m Lamoriello, he’s absolutely available in the right deal this offseason.
i'd rather deal beau and net at least a few picks because that pick is....mediocre considering the talent that came after him. again, we need to cut the ties with getting comfortable with every player.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
that's a really crappy analogy first and foremost from yearly lottery, just saying

i'd rather deal beau and net at least a few picks because that pick is....mediocre considering the talent that came after him. again, we need to cut the ties with getting comfortable with every player.

Our OBP is much higher.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This is the issue I have had with Trotz on and off since he came, but now it has just become more glaring. We have lost two games in a row and look just totally listless. It is not like we were competitive in Calgary. If anything, the performance was even WORSE than the score. Yet, Trotz comes back with the exact same lineup and line combos when you have Bellows and Palmieri sitting out for Ross Johnston. Why doesn't Bailey ever get benched the way Bellows, Wahlstrom and Palmieri do? Why do we have to keep putting out BOTH Greene and Chara every game when Salo is younger, faster, better and proven to be capable for several weeks this year? He is just so stubborn and I honestly feel once he likes or dislikes you, your fate behind the scenes as a player on this team is sealed. The fact that Wahlstrom has never once been tried, not once with Barzal, but Clutterbuck is now being given multiple games in that spot is pretty much all that needs to be said about that situation. I genuinely wonder if he actually even wants this team to score. I think he wants to win every game 1-0 in a shootout. Just tired of the same old crap every night.
I fear Barry is playing stubborn and yet he doesn't want to play youth JUST BECAUSE of these older guys. Greene and Chara might get "pissy" because they didn't play a game I bet, and Wahlstrom is still "not ready" despite him potentially being a better winger for Mat. Honest to god speaking, Barry is just tanking at this point. There is 0 logical reason to play these guys. They don't add much to the lineup, they hinder a ton of strong attributes which made the isles good in the first place. If we're gonna play Schneider for any game btw, I'm gonna vomit. He's cooked and the games in Bridgeport are all awful.

If we show 0 life to these Buffalo Sabres, then the fork is digging deeper and deeper into saying "this season is done"

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Our OBP is much higher.
I think a better analogy for the isles in terms of baseball is the Mets

"we battled hard, worked to many 3-2 counts, but ended up flying out in the end". Just too much middling play. There's no spark at all in the offense.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Why do you keep asking the same question that has been answered a million times if you don't like the answer?

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Why do you keep asking the same question that has been answered a million times if you don't like the answer?
Enlighten me. What is the answer? I have not seen any answer for why Palmieri is benched, but Bailey never misses a shift. Palmieri has proven just as much in this league as Bailey has. What is the answer why Clutterbuck can play first line but Wahlstrom cannot? This team needs to score. They cannot score. This defensive approach of just hoping to win 1-0 or 2-1 every night is not working. We have seen half a season of proof that it is not working. Make a change. Do something different.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Because, like a reporter, if you keep framing the same question in a slightly different way you feel like you're asking a different question.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Enlighten me. What is the answer? I have not seen any answer for why Palmieri is benched, but Bailey never misses a shift. Palmieri has proven just as much in this league as Bailey has. What is the answer why Clutterbuck can play first line but Wahlstrom cannot? This team needs to score. They cannot score. This defensive approach of just hoping to win 1-0 or 2-1 every night is not working. We have seen half a season of proof that it is not working. Make a change. Do something different.
Wahlstrom can't score consistently either. He's taken the most shots on this team and yet he only has 10 goals, the last 2 coming after a significant drought. Oliver Wahlstrom is also a mess when he's not in the offensive zone. He still tries to stick handle over the blue line and he's a defensive liability. So before you say "he'll score more if he's with Barzal", and "let him make his mistakes with Barzy and just outshoot them", how about Wahlstrom score with the many chances he's gotten skating with Pageau and Parise?

Reactions: YearlyLottery
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad