Roster Moves & Training Camp Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Haas and Khaira are pretty interchangable. I think the PK will be fine. Turris likely replaces Sheahan. Leon and RNH will also see some time there. Vegas has Oilers at second best odds to win the North Div...biggest issue is whether Jones and Barrie can make up for the loss of Klefbom. I don't think this roster will have any issues scoring goals.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
One thing I'd like to see clarified around the taxi squad is how it applies to the regular roster. I see the roster limit is still 23, but the taxi squad 4-6 players.

Does this mean 4 players if the roster has 23 on it but a maximum of 6 if a team chooses to go with a 20 or 21 player roster?

If so, this is clearly an easy cap circumvention rule. Though the circumstances of this year probably lean the league towards trying to allow a bit of it, is it really fair. It probably should be that no matter what if you have players on the taxi squad but less than 23 on your roster, one of the squad should be added to the roster.

Granted Edmonton likely would be someone to take advantage of this, I'm not sure it's fair.

Reactions: LTIR

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
I think Stauffer is overlooking at how important the PK was to the team's progression last season. Haas doesn't bring enough to the table at even strength to offset the value that Khaira brings to the table on the PK.

I'm not sure what to expect out of guys like Turris, Ennis and to a lesser extent Kahun when it comes to playing down a man. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Tippet put them to task seeing as they're going to be relied upon as veteran guys.

Agreed, I think Khaira gets the nod over Haas for his PK work, but who knows maybe they’re going to try Haas on the PK.

The other thing is having a competent 3rd line that should be able to chip in at 5v5 will allow Tippett the option of not having to ride the top 6 so hard 5v5 and possibly use some of those players on the PK.

Obviously RNH is the main choice but I could see Draisaitl being apart of a PK unit, maybe Kassian as well.

I think the PK will be Khaira, Archibald, RNH and then they’ve got one more spot to figure out.

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
I hope Holland plays extra close attention to the waiver wire. I don't think the Oiler's will lose anyone significant on the waiver wire. We probably could play drop a player pick up a player a few times to improve the overall structure of our organizational depth. Could probably even add a dark horse goalie. It's up to the scouts now.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Sounds like the AHL team is staying in Bakersfield huh? It would have been nice to move it to Edmonton.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
I'd be happy with the following:

Active Roster (14F, 7D, 2G - 23 total):

Kahun - McDavid - Kassian
Yamamoto - Nuge - Draisaitl
Ennis - Turris - Puljujarvi
Neal - Khaira - Archibald
Chiasson, Haas

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Hutton - Barrie
Russell

Koskinen
Smith

------

Taxi Squad (3F, 2D, 1G - 6 total):

Nygard, Benson, Russell
Bouchard, Lagesson
Forsberg

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
Kinda sucks that players couldn't spend Christmas with their families before they had to make the trip to Edmonton and begin quarantine. Any word on players who should be there but haven't arrived yet?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Chiasson, Haas

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russell - Barrie
Koekkoek

Koskinen
Smith

------

Taxi Squad

Nygard, Benson, Russell
Bouchard, Lagesson
Forsberg

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Puljujärvi isnt a sure thing, played in Finlands top team, and he did a okay season, but had expect more domination, the FM leuage is very bad! I hope im wrong, but i have never like quitters. Elite Prospects - Liiga Stats 2019-2020 many unknown names close his production.

A 19 year old JP had 12 goals in 65 games with Lucic and Strome as his most common linemates and no PP time. At worst he's a 3rd line player right now but he needs to be better then that.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Chiasson, Haas

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russell - Barrie
Koekkoek

Koskinen
Smith

------

Taxi Squad

Nygard, Benson, Russell
Bouchard, Lagesson
Forsberg

I'm wondering if they'll send Bouchard and Benson to the AHL so they can get prime minutes and use older players on the taxi squad like Cracknell and Lennstrom.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
A 19 year old JP had 12 goals in 65 games with Lucic and Strome as his most common linemates and no PP time. At worst he's a 3rd line player right now but he needs to be better then that.

He got the toi and linemates that he deserved. He didnt take a demotion to the minors as he should. He wasnt ready for primetime, 2 seasons in Bakersfield with some call ups had probably done him good. He was lazy to prepare him self learning english.

I hope he has changed attitude and we have someting in him, but i want to see it first!

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Chiasson, Haas

Nurse - Bear
Jones - Larsson
Russell - Barrie
Koekkoek

Koskinen
Smith

------

Taxi Squad

Nygard, Benson, Russell
Bouchard, Lagesson
Forsberg
Quine and Lennstrom might make a case. Holland may have those on taxi squad over Bouchard and Benson if AHL season gets going

RogueJedi

Apr 27, 2010
Quine and Lennstrom might make a case. Holland may have those on taxi squad over Bouchard and Benson if AHL season gets going

It is so nice to have actual competition for jobs, instead of just penciling guys in like we did in the past. Doesn't seem like any spots will be gifted with this regime, which is refreshing.

Reactions: Cypress

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
So, now we need to try to be as close to 4.167M over the cap to start the year as possible? Anything under and we lose the difference in the LTIR space Klef's contract gives us?

Always confused about this deal where it's better to be under the cap to start the year and then go LTIR after vs trying to maximize LTIR use in the off-season.

tabs

Oct 30, 2009
So, now we need to try to be as close to 4.167M over the cap to start the year as possible? Anything under and we lose the difference in the LTIR space Klef's contract gives us?

Always confused about this deal where it's better to be under the cap to start the year and then go LTIR after vs trying to maximize LTIR use in the off-season.
It’s best to be just below. Then we can put Klef on LTIR and have almost his full cap hit to play with throughout the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad