Roster Moves & Training Camp Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffff

Oct 4, 2011
With a shortened season and no pre season games some team could be in trouble early. Oilers seem to have decent preseason records....how that translates into this season is anyones guess though.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
I would rather see guys like Bouchard, Benson and McLeod playing games overseas than sticking with the team and not playing at all. At the same time I’m sure those guys want to come over to take a crack at making the team. I assume the Oilers can call them back over if an AHL season begins at a later date?

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
I suspect Dominik Kahun will be heading to Edmonton soon, too.

After watching him play at center during the Magentasport Cup (DEL pre-season tournament) for 7 games, I am beginning to wonder if he might be an option as 3rd line center, depending on how well the other wingers work or in case of injuries. Not sure how well his center play, including faceoffs (he was 69 for 113 at the dot), will translate to the NHL, but until now I had not even considered this an option, now I could actually see it. But even if he does play on the wing all the time, it can't hurt to have a winger who could be capable of winning a draw.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
I would rather see guys like Bouchard, Benson and McLeod playing games overseas than sticking with the team and not playing at all. At the same time I’m sure those guys want to come over to take a crack at making the team. I assume the Oilers can call them back over if an AHL season begins at a later date?

Can they re-loaned out if they all get cut from the roster?

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I suspect Dominik Kahun will be heading to Edmonton soon, too.

After watching him play at center during the Magentasport Cup (DEL pre-season tournament) for 7 games, I am beginning to wonder if he might be an option as 3rd line center, depending on how well the other wingers work or in case of injuries. Not sure how well his center play, including faceoffs (he was 69 for 113 at the dot), will translate to the NHL, but until now I had not even considered this an option, now I could actually see it. But even if he does play on the wing all the time, it can't hurt to have a winger who could be capable of winning a draw.
We got Turris as 3C and I'm sure Kahun would rather be on Drai's line.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Hi folks, not sure how many of you addicts already subscribe to THG, but thought I’d Post this here for those who are looking for off-season content:

Its actually nice to see some people ranking the Oilers better. Alot of the traditional media outlets rank the Oilers lower.

I see Edmonton and Toronto in a tier of their own. I think Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg and Montreal all are pretty similar and it will be a dog fight. Ottawa should finish last.

I am really excited to see the Oilers forwards this year. We have a ton of forwards and if we have expanded rosters, I think it helps our forwards. We have 12 legitimate NHL players as forwards in the first time in forever. We should be so much better 5 on 5. I still think our PP is going to be lethal. I expect our PK to drop significantly but I think 5 on 5, we will be much better.

Our defense is a question mark a bit. No Klefbom hurts, but honestly how healthy has he been? I think Barrie is a pretty nice add. Our defense really lacks offense and puck moving so I think Barrie should be a pretty good fit. Hopefully Bear and Jones take a step forward. I think Bouchard is NHL ready but not sure who he will take out. I heard some nice things about Lennstrom. Overall I think the defense will get it done.

I dont love Smith resigning here, but lets be honest, who in the Canadian team has 2 great goaltenders with a condensed schedule? Koskinen has the chance to be as good as any teams goalies outside of Hellebuyck. I wouldnt be surprised if Forsberg gets some playtime over Smith especially with extended rosters.

Koskinen was better than Anderson last year. Toronto's backups suck.
Holtby has been a train wreck. Demko is unproven.
Markstom had a great year last year but hes not consistent. Is he going to become consistent after a big pay day? Rittich hasnt recovered since the stick flip.
Price is good but overrated. Allen is whatever.
Hellebuyck was great and I think is the best goalie in the canadian division. Can he even come close to his last year? Brossoit isnt good.
Murray has been a train wreck since stanley cups and Ottawa isnt likely going anywhere.

I mean I would definitely pick some other teams backups over Smith/Forsberg but I dont see the division being a goaltending strength.

Last edited:

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions

Assuming the top 4 lines would be the opening night lineup. There’s lots of offensive potential through the lineup but the one thing that does worry me is who’s going to be out there in the defensive situations and on the PK. Nuge and Archibald would be the obvious ones there I guess, but past that it’s an interesting discussion. Gotta think Turris and Haas would probably get a long look in training camp for those situations, and I know Pulju had been doing a lot of PK work in Finland so maybe he’s another option? I kinda think this is why Khaira is going to get a really long leash this year since that’s a role he can fill in well at. Kinda think he gets a bump up over Ennis or Haas in this scenario.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto

Assuming the top 4 lines would be the opening night lineup. There’s lots of offensive potential through the lineup but the one thing that does worry me is who’s going to be out there in the defensive situations and on the PK. Nuge and Archibald would be the obvious ones there I guess, but past that it’s an interesting discussion. Gotta think Turris and Haas would probably get a long look in training camp for those situations, and I know Pulju had been doing a lot of PK work in Finland so maybe he’s another option? I kinda think this is why Khaira is going to get a really long leash this year since that’s a role he can fill in well at. Kinda think he gets a bump up over Ennis or Haas in this scenario.

I still hope they try Kahun with McDavid first, although I suspect they won’t.

RNH - Drai - Yamo is just such a deadly combo. And the overlooked part is that I think both Yamo and Nuge benefit the most from a confidence perspective on that line. They just know it clicks.

GOilers88

Fer Da
Dec 24, 2016
tenor.gif

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

Well the Oilers have 12+ real NHL forwards so thats a good thing.

I agree that the PK could be a problem this year. I think it was always going to regress. I hope Tippett tries to fit in some others in. I suspect Turris might do some pk. I wouldnt mind Haas, Nygard or Puljujravi getting some PK time. I think Haas would be a good PK'er. I suspect though with no preseason, condensed schedule that Khaira will get a longer leash like you indicated. I personally dont think its a great idea. I know Khaira has good PK stats, but I dont consider him a good defensive player so I cant see him sustaining it. I feel Tippett sacrificed a bit too much of 5 on 5 to fit in players who were good on special teams. If Neal, Chiasson, Khaira etc arent pulling their weight 5 on 5, need to put someone else in, especially with expanded rosters.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Here is how I would start.

RNH-McD-Yamamoto

IMO chemistry between Nuge and Yama was better than Drai and Yama. Also, Kassian needs to work his way up again.

Kahun-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi

Drai is an ideal C for Puljujarvi and Kahun-Drai is no brainer.

Ennis-Turris-Kassian

Neal-Khaira-Archibald

Nygard/Chiasson/Benson

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

If we have both Khaira and Chiasson on Line 5, then we may as well waive+bury both of them and save 2M on the cap.

Then we'd have an extra 2M to spend on Haula.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I give new line combos a very short leash given that it's a short season and every game matters.

If the team doesn't look great straight off the bat, don't be f***ing stupid ... go back to RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto.

Also Puljujarvi better not think he has a long leash here either, if Chiasson is still here it's quite possible Chiasson is the better actual player.

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

I think Stauffer is overlooking at how important the PK was to the team's progression last season. Haas doesn't bring enough to the table at even strength to offset the value that Khaira brings to the table on the PK.

I'm not sure what to expect out of guys like Turris, Ennis and to a lesser extent Kahun when it comes to playing down a man. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Tippet put them to task seeing as they're going to be relied upon as veteran guys.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
I have high hopes for Lennstrom and Nygard. Especially Nygard. I feel that there is a player who needs a chance on a skill line. He was trending up before his first hand injury in Edmonton. I also like the combo of Nygard and Haas.

Don't know what Khaira brings to the table other than his PK abilities which are overhyped anyways.

Reactions: Oilhawks

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think Stauffer is overlooking at how important the PK was to the team's progression last season. Haas doesn't bring enough to the table at even strength to offset the value that Khaira brings to the table on the PK.

I'm not sure what to expect out of guys like Turris, Ennis and to a lesser extent Kahun when it comes to playing down a man. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Tippet put them to task seeing as they're going to be relied upon as veteran guys.
Just because one does not make the opening night roster does not mean he could not end up playing 40+ out of 56 games this season.

It's going to be a compact season where we will likely be using 10 different Dmen and 15+ forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->