Line Combos: Roster/Lineup/Movement Discussions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

puckthat

Jul 19, 2019
So our top 4 face off guys are Jenner, Domi, Stenlund, and Nash. And I was surprised to see that! It’s been such a problem maybe they should be spread out. So Jenner, Jack and Cam looked like it was working. One grinder, one skill guy, one shooter. What other combo’s would look like that? Foligno, Texier, and Stenlund? Laine, Domi, Bjork? Leaves Robinson, Nash, and Grigs. One decent face off guy (don’t care if they are on the wing or not) on each line. One grinder, one “skill” guy, one shooter on each line. Thoughts?

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Bjorkstrand got paid.
SO they are counting cumulative future salary in contracts that aren't even in effect for this season since his contract doesn't even take effect until next season.

They'd better get the graphic ready next year when half of the team's contracts expire at the end of the season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd be VERY curious to hear how Jarmo envisioned the line would look like when we constructed this roster.

This isn't the roster he was trying to make. Laine+Roslovic was on the table months ago and he would have made the deal then if he thought it was a good fit. Not that it's a poor return in terms of value, but Jarmo is going to need to make another deal or two to get the roster lined up right.

There was one big pro scouting failure and that was the Domi acquisition.

Reactions: Columbus Jack

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
So our top 4 face off guys are Jenner, Domi, Stenlund, and Nash. And I was surprised to see that! It’s been such a problem maybe they should be spread out. So Jenner, Jack and Cam looked like it was working. One grinder, one skill guy, one shooter. What other combo’s would look like that? Foligno, Texier, and Stenlund? Laine, Domi, Bjork? Leaves Robinson, Nash, and Grigs. One decent face off guy (don’t care if they are on the wing or not) on each line. One grinder, one “skill” guy, one shooter on each line. Thoughts?
We always can change the lines so maybe we could try:

Laine-Domi-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Roslovic-Atkinson

If Torts wants so that Max will return his play, he needs good partners and probably play on the center. Of course IMHO.

Last edited:

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Those sound like things this board can get behind, save perhaps the Peeke vs MDZ thing.

Grigorenko has been invisible to me. The whole defense has looked bad the last 2-3 games so it's hard, yet, to figure out if Gabriel Carlsson is one of our 6 best defenders. I think MDZ has really fallen off after his opening 7-8 games. I didn't think Kukan looked so bad as in needing to be benched for 6 straight games.

In a way, the taxi squad has made things worse this season. They're shuffling guys in and out of the lineup basically every game. There's no worrying about AHL squad because until a week ago or so, there was no AHL team. So they've just been moving guys all over the place in the lineup. I think with a 23 man roster, Torts would be forced into more consistent lines/pairs, save for injuries or absolutely terrible play. The flexibility of the taxi squad means they can rotate in 2-3 guys, but then that messes with the lines/pairs that have never really gotten set all season.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Grigorenko has been invisible to me. The whole defense has looked bad the last 2-3 games so it's hard, yet, to figure out if Gabriel Carlsson is one of our 6 best defenders. I think MDZ has really fallen off after his opening 7-8 games. I didn't think Kukan looked so bad as in needing to be benched for 6 straight games.
IMHO Grigo lacks the quality of the the shot and the hockey mindset for NHL, but also the defensive qualities, positional play and cheekiness for bottom 6.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Sort of related to our line discussions:

If they were to name an All Star game team this year, I am guessing they would pick Cam from the CBJ. Leads the team in goals. Tied for the lead in points. Defensive guys and goalies haven’t been good enough this year.

Assuming 6 3 2 and one player from every team

F Cam CBJ
F Kane Chicago
F Huberdeau Florida
F Barkov Florida
F Trochek or Aho Carolina
F Larkin Detroit
D Hedman TB
D Klingberg Dal
D Josi Nash
G Vasilevskiy TB
G Lankinen Chicago

TB - 2
Florida - 2
Chicago - 2
Nash - 1
CBJ - 1
Carolina - 1
Dallas - 1
Detroit - 1

Fan vote - Stamkos / Forsberg / DeBrincat

Hardest choice - which Carolina forward (3 guys tied for most points)

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA

If they were to name an All Star game team this year, I am guessing they would pick Cam from the CBJ. Leads the team in goals. Tied for the lead in points. Defensive guys and goalies haven’t been good enough this year.

F Cam CBJ
F Kane Chicago
F Huberdeau Florida
F Barkov Florida
F Larkin Detroit
D Hedman TB
D Klingberg Dal
D Josi Nash
G Vasilevskiy TB
G Lankinen Chicago

TB - 2
Florida - 2
Chicago - 2
Nash - 1
CBJ - 1
Carolina - 1
Dallas - 1
Detroit - 1

I'd hope not, much rather see Laine.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I'd hope not, much rather see Laine.

Laine seems to be 16. for the NHL in PPG (minimum 10 games played):

16. Laine 11GP 8+5=13, 1.18 PPG
43. (tied) Roslovic 13GP 4+8=12, 0.92 PPG
78. (tied) Cam Atkinson 20GP 8+8=16, 0.80 PPG
78. (tied) Björkstrand 20GP 6+10=16. 0.80 PPG

So there are 4 Blue Jackets in top 100 this season. Not bad.

For those, I guess Laine would be no-brainer for the All Star game as Jones and Werenski have not been on their best game, and also goalies have been a little bit on/off kind of robbing some games here and there and then letting a bit soft ones.

That said, Cam has been great lately, and since Laine came in, Cam has got 10GP 7+5=12, +5 and 1.20PPG. Some of that can be easily attributed to Laine and Roslovic, but not nearly all. For example Cam scored 2 short handed goals in last 10 games.

Columbus Jack

He's from Columbus
Nov 25, 2009
PA
Laine seems to be 16. for the NHL in PPG (minimum 10 games played):

16. Laine 11GP 8+5=13, 1.18 PPG
43. (tied) Roslovic 13GP 4+8=12, 0.92 PPG
78. (tied) Cam Atkinson 20GP 8+8=16, 0.80 PPG
78. (tied) Björkstrand 20GP 6+10=16. 0.80 PPG

So there are 4 Blue Jackets in top 100 this season. Not bad.

For those, I guess Laine would be no-brainer for the All Star game as Jones and Werenski have not been on their best game, and also goalies have been a little bit on/off kind of robbing some games here and there and then letting a bit soft ones.

That said, Cam has been great lately, and since Laine came in, Cam has got 10GP 7+5=12, +5 and 1.20PPG. Some of that can be easily attributed to Laine and Roslovic, but not nearly all. For example Cam scored 2 short handed goals in last 10 games.
I'm not saying Cam isn't deserving, he's been good of late but I certainly rather see Laine in the All Star Game than Cam. Not like it truly matters though, it's pretty pointless.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
IMHO Grigo lacks the quality of the the shot and the hockey mindset for NHL, but also the defensive qualities, positional play and cheekiness for bottom 6.

I think Grigo is okayish defensively, he's got good instincts. He just doesn't have much battle level in loose puck situations, not in any part of the ice. He doesn't hurt but doesn't help the bottom six either.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm not saying Cam isn't deserving, he's been good of late but I certainly rather see Laine in the All Star Game than Cam. Not like it truly matters though, it's pretty pointless.

Yes, the All Star Game is not about each team sending their MVP anyways. It's about entertainment and marketing, and sending Laine as CBJ rep is more fitting for that. Obviously they'll want him in the shooting competitions. :D

Reactions: Columbus Jack

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I think Grigo is okayish defensively, he's got good instincts. He just doesn't have much battle level in loose puck situations, not in any part of the ice. He doesn't hurt but doesn't help the bottom six either.
That's what I'm talking about. The position is not so bad, as every CSKA player must have defensive skills. Of course, no one expected snipers to have grinders` defense. By the way, he also had problems in the battle in the KHL too.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.

F Cam CBJ
F Kane Chicago
F Huberdeau Florida
F Barkov Florida
F Larkin Detroit
D Hedman TB
D Klingberg Dal
D Josi Nash
G Vasilevskiy TB
G Lankinen Chicago

TB - 2
Florida - 2
Chicago - 2
Nash - 1
CBJ - 1
Carolina - 1
Dallas - 1
Detroit - 1

That list looks plausible.

Couldn't help a chuckle noticing it's four players from Florida, then hockey states like Ohio, Tennessee, Texas on the list... and not a single team from Canada represented. Okay, make that an evil cackle. :D

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I noticed...Texier plays very good with speed, skill players with good forcheking.
Roslovic's line without Laine ... Jack had a good Corsi, but he hadn't any chance to score similar like Cam played not quite good.
And again, Laine played with Domi only with Texier on the wing and only two periods, or with Atkinson for some minutes although Cam and Max haven't chemistry.
I wrote it but... maybe it's time to try Patrik with Domi on the center. Nick isn't an ideal center.
Or....it would be funny if the ideal center for Laine would be Stenlund. ;)

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Kings fan coming in peace.

There are rumors LA is looking to add a top pair LHD that is under 28. Werenksi has been brought up but is he A) actually available and B) what would his value even be. I am guessing at least Turcotte, but I would think in order to entice the Blue Jackets a more immediate player would need to be acquired than a A Prospect.

I like Columbus and the aggressiveness of your GM. Trading Werenski does not seem to make sense to me from the Blue Jackets side.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Interesting. Either Korpi is getting both Nashville games or Elvis is coming back quicker and splitting them, or they are going to give VV a game.

Monsters play Sat. and Sun. also, so if they are giving Kiv a game to play in Cleveland and sending him back to play, he would go back to back.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Kings fan coming in peace.

There are rumors LA is looking to add a top pair LHD that is under 28. Werenksi has been brought up but is he A) actually available and B) what would his value even be. I am guessing at least Turcotte, but I would think in order to entice the Blue Jackets a more immediate player would need to be acquired than a A Prospect.

I like Columbus and the aggressiveness of your GM. Trading Werenski does not seem to make sense to me from the Blue Jackets side.
Turcotte + Vilardi/Kempe and keep adding

Reactions: KJ Dangler
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->