Roster in 2017/18 - Part II

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I would like to see Maurice use a 4 line, 3 pairing team to get the most out of his players over the long haul. Keep fatigue and injury at bay.

Starts with fundamentals.

Scoring line 1
Ehlers-Scheif-Laine. These are your horses, capable of dictating the pace of the game. Should be used in offensive situations.

Defensive line 1/Scoring line 2
Connor-Little-Wheeler

Little and Wheeler have played against the league's best for years. Little is the go to defensive zone centre. Connor's speed gives this line an element of counter attack potential. Wheeler and Connor flying down the wings could give d-men nightmares.

Scoring line 3
Perreault-Lowry-Dano

Perreault is a gifted offensive player with some defensive warts. Lowry is a player who has offensive potential, and makes room for others on the ice. Dano is tenacious, pesky like the other two, with a playmaker like Perreault, he could achieve greater offensive output.

Checking line
Copp-Hendricks-Armia

Hendricks is the face off ace, flanked by two of the best defensive players on the team. Unlike previous years this is a 4th line that can be deployed effectively for 10 minutes per game.

Matthias and Tanev are good skating players who add a dimension of physicality.

Defense is no long sheltered by pairing. You can evenly spread out the ice time among all 3 pairings, likely

Kulikov-Buff
Morrissey-Trouba
Enstrom-Myers

Benny is in the PB more often than not.

I spread the ice time out through the special teams too.

PP1
Lowry
Scheifele
Ehlers
Laine
Trouba

PP2
Perreault
Little
Wheeler
Buff (roaming and getting to the net)
Kulikov

PK1
Armia
Hendricks

PK2
Wheeler
Little

PK3
Connor
Coop

With Lowry and Scheif chipping in.

All three defensive pairs can kill penalties...

I think Petan becomes insurance for Perreault. Roslovic can be developed to fill in for Little, and maybe graduates to the 3rd line RW if Dano falters.

Lemieux and Lipon see some action.

Defensively Nogier is a fill in for Myers. Melchiori has the experience to be a part time replacement for Toby, but the Jets may want to take a look at a player like Pouliot to add some depth to the left side d.

Mason and Hellebuyck platoon, with Comrie pushing from the 3 spot, and Hutch being a good minor league depth goalie.

I agree with the premise of spreading the wealth to conserve energy / health team wise.

Everyone likes scoring line 1 (Ehlers/Scheif/Laine) I'm sure we will see lots of this. I also know injuries and the blender will split them up for a portion of the games anyways.

D1 & scoring 2 (Connor/Lit/Wheels) looks great. But lets be clear, Connor has to earn this chance. Perreault was on fire to end the year and deserves to play with top players too. (A nice problem for the Jets to have).

Scoring 3 - (Perrault/Lowry/Dano) I think Armia starts here over Dano especially if Lowry is the center. Matty P drives play and if healthy could give the Jets a deadly 3rd line (for at least a stretch before he gets hurt ;) )

Checking 4 - (Copp/Hendricks/Armia) I think Dano will be here and I don't think if we're all healthy that Hendricks would be on the ice (unless he really shows well in the pre-season). Copp could still be the 4th line center, Matthias will have a say in one of the spots and if Roslovic makes the roster somewhere that would surely bump another player down to this line to disrupt this)

D - Agree that the Jets can deploy their #1 (Morrissey / Trouba), #2 (Kulikov/Buff), #2 (Enstrom/Myers) more evenly.

PP1 must have Laine & Scheif. Prefer not to see Lowry here. I want Trouba but think we get Buff.

PP2 Don't see Wheeler on the 2nd line (I'd like him in front of the net on PP1). Kulikov has not produced offense well from what I've read so no way... besides Trouba will be here, even then Morrissey and Meyers should get the spot before him (no????).

PK this is where we can cut Buff's ice down, hell even give his pair more 5v5 O zone starts. Morrissey / Trouba seems great on the PK and some combo of the other 3 (Myers, Kuli, Enstrom)

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Ehlers / Scheif / Wheeler line to start the season but expect a change as early as that first game. Not to put pressure on him but I really hope Laine can keep his Leaf magic going in the first game. I traded my season closer ticket for the home opener. Didn't want to miss this!

tbone1968

Sep 1, 2017
Texas hill country
Greetings to y'all from Texas ! Born and raised in Wpg and a big Jets and Bombers fan (damn play some D guys). Lines I would like to see

Ehlers - Scheifele - Laune
Connor* - Little - Wheeler
Perrault *- Roslo - Armia
Copp - Lowry - Dano

*Flip Connor and Perrault if Roslovic and Connor have the chemistry at NHL level and can hold up defensively

PB - Matthias - Hendricks (Petan first call up)

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Enstrom - Myers

PB - Chiarot (Poolman first call up)

Mason
Helly

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I was thinking at some point Connor with Scheif and one of ehlers/laine at some point in the season would be fun

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Greetings to y'all from Texas ! Born and raised in Wpg and a big Jets and Bombers fan (damn play some D guys). Lines I would like to see

Copp - Lowry - Dano

*Flip Connor and Perrault if Roslovic and Connor have the chemistry at NHL level and can hold up defensively

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Helly

This is pretty much the way I see it. As long as everyone is healthy opening night we should be able to roll 4 lines and 3 pairings like a boss.

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg

Copp - Lowry - Dano

Morrissey - Trouba
Kulikov - Buff
Enstrom - Myers

Mason
Helly

Looks good. Only change is I have Petan in Roslo spot and Roslo starting with Moose.

tbone1968

Sep 1, 2017
Texas hill country
I actually had that as well on my first go. My rationale was Connor and Roslovic had something cooking in the A last half of the year. Put them back together if Connor is not ready for #2 LW.

This has been a loooooong off season. Time for these kids to fly. Please no more scrubs on the 4th line

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Like most of us this would be the most hopeful I've been going into a season.

In my mind if the guys we expect to carry the load do and ONE of the following guys - Petan, Roslovic, Dano, Armia has a substantial improvement; then I believe we will have an incredible season.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ehlers - Scheifele - Armia
Petan - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Roslo - Laine
MP- Lowry - Dano
Matthias/Copp each getting about 40 or so games.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Petan - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Roslo - Laine
MP- Lowry - Dano

This would be fine if we wanted to split all the 5v5 minutes evenly between four lines (though I'd rather see Laine with a different LW).

Our big guns would be well rested for the playoffs. Or would they be lacking in conditioning?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Petan - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Roslo - Laine
MP- Lowry - Dano

I think Copp is going to be a fixture in the lineup, if healthy.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Petan - Little - Wheeler
Connor - Roslo - Laine
MP- Lowry - Dano

I don't think we put our 19 year old phenom with two rookies to start the year.

The Petan with Little and Wheeler is kind of neat as it potentially gets us top 6 production from a guy who otherwise would not produce like that.

Armia has to finish more chances before he gets to play with Scheif.

Outside of pre-season injuries or some really great OR poor play by someone... I think we see some pretty predictable lines to start the year with a handful of guys fighting for a spot.

Forget lines for a second...
These guys have a guaranteed top 12 spot.
Scheif, Wheeler, Little, Laine, Ehlers, Perreault, Lowry, Armia

Close to guaranteed
Connor, Copp, Dano (contract status helps him)

That leaves Petan, Roslovic, Matthias, Tanev, Hendricks and other Moose hopefuls fighting for the last spot and then the organizations decision on who sits in the PB

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
So many fantastic line combinations in this thread. It makes it all the more depressing if Maurice does his usual thing with guys like Hendicks on the 4th line. Lowry/Matthias on the 3rd line, Dano in the pressbox and Petan/Connor in the minors.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
To **** off fans line up by Maurice

ehlers Little Wheeler
Perrault Schiefle Armia
Matthias Lowry Laine
Tanev Hendrick Dano

copp

Trouba Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Kulikov chairot

Morrissey

Mason Hutchinson

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Copp-Dano

(Matthias / Hendricks)

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

(Chiarot)

Mason / Hellebuyck

Moose:

Lemieux-Roslovic-Spacek
De Leo-Harkins-Lipon
Beauvillier-Cormier-Lodge
??-??-??

Niku-Poolman
Melchiori-Green
Kulevich-Kostalek

Comrie / Phillips

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Lowry-Armia
Petan-Copp-Dano

(Matthias / Hendricks)

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Enstrom-Myers

(Chiarot)

Mason / Hellebuyck

Moose:

Lemieux-Roslovic-Spacek
De Leo-Harkins-Lipon
Beauvillier-Cormier-Lodge
??-??-??

Niku-Poolman
Melchiori-Green
Kulevich-Kostalek

Comrie / Phillips

Green isn't eligible for the AHL is He?

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The big battle IMO will be between Roslovic, Petan, Hendricks and Tanev.

I fully expect Hendricks and Tanev to be press boxers and in for injuries.
Roslovic and Petan will duke it out for a roster spot. I expect Roslovic to win as he is more of a line driver than Petan.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Roslovic and Petan will duke it out for a roster spot. I expect Roslovic to win as he is more of a line driver than Petan.

That's not too bad.

I call Roslo and Petan a little differently but only because Roslo's readiness is unknown. If he takes another step forward then I agree.

Petan called up for injury b4 Hendricks dressed, please.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
That's not too bad.

I call Roslo and Petan a little differently but only because Roslo's readiness is unknown. If he takes another step forward then I agree.

Petan called up for injury b4 Hendricks dressed, please.

For me it will come down to who can play in the bottom 6. I don't think Petan possesses the two-way game to be a center and he doesn't elevate the players around him enough to be a bottom 6 winger.
Roslovic has more speed, better two-way play, and IMO has better finish. Petan will need to take a big step forward to keep Roslovic from passing him on the depth chart. At least in my opinion.

I agree though. I'd rather see Petan called up then Hendricks dress. On the road though it's likely one of Hendrick/Tanev until they fly someone out.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
I think Tanev has played himself off the team; wouldn't be surprised if he's traded or becomes a permanent Moose player.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
To **** off fans line up by Maurice

ehlers Little Wheeler
Perrault Schiefle Armia
Matthias Lowry Laine
Tanev Hendrick Dano

copp

Trouba Byfuglien
Enstrom Myers
Kulikov chairot

Morrissey

Mason Hutchinson

BWhahaha thats amazing I literally was gritting my teeth while looking at that line up! well played well played

ffh

Jul 16, 2016

lets assume you are right about Hendricks for the moment. then the 4th line will be mathias copp dano. roslovic has a very small chance of bumping copp but then copp would bump dano. and 4th line would be mathias roslovic copp.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers
Connor-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Petan-Dano
Copp-Lowry-Armia
Matthias-Hendricks

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Byfuglien
Enstrom-Myers
Chiarot