Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
cagney said:
Link

Not too impressive, IMO. I don't have too much hope for a strong US showing. Hopefully some young players will really develop between now and 2010.

I'm curious, but is there anyone not on the list you would have added? While I would agree we're in a transition period, we can still ice a competitive team. At first glance:

Goaltenders:

DiPietro
Esche
Conklin

Defensemen:

Gill
Leopold
Rafalski
Martin
Liles
Miller
Tanabe
Orpik

Forwards:

Cole
Drury
Gomez
Guerin
Knuble
Weight
Tkachuk
Parrish
Halpern
Rolston
Blake
Modano

Here's how I would line it up:

Tkachuk/Modano/Guerin
Drury/Weight/Parrish
Cole/Gomez/Knuble
Rolston/Halpern/Blake

Miller/Liles
Gill/Tanabe
Rafalski/Martin
Leopold/Orpik

DiPietro
Esche

espo*

Make room for Gionta and maybe get rid of Tanabe.........................i know he's got great skills but he's inconsistent and you need more jam.Take Schneider

lametis

Nov 15, 2003
NY
During the press conference, USA hockey mentioned that they left some guys off the list because they felt some players didn't really need to worry about orientation (Chelios, Roenick, Hull, etc.). Some of the veteran guys are there just to help the younger guys.

joe_shannon_1983*

Noodles said:
During the press conference, USA hockey mentioned that they left some guys off the list because they felt some players didn't really need to worry about orientation (Chelios, Roenick, Hull, etc.). Some of the veteran guys are there just to help the younger guys.

That would explain why those guys are not there, along with the likes of Leetch.

I would be very surprised if Chelios, Roenick, and Leetch are not on the final roster. Even if Hull was left off it would somewhat surprise me, though he did get benched for the 2nd half of the World Cup and showed a poor attitude in the process.

CDeeps

Apr 15, 2005
Evaluation Camp surprises

To me, I was surprised to see Legwand, York, and Adam Hall left off the list. Actually, Legwand and York played like crap at the Worlds this past May and Waddell obviously took that into account. I don't think either of them scored any points.

I am a bit surprised Hall wasn't invited because his contributions don't show up on the stat sheet. He is mainly a third line energy winger and has been loyal to USA Hockey, so I think he deserved an invite.

He is only 24, but Legwand better start producing more or he will be labled a bust. Remember, this was the guy selected #2 right behind Vinny Lecavalier.

I was glad to see guys like Richard Park and Andy Roach make the team. They always answer the call to play for USA Hockey and they seem to overachieve on the international ice surface.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I'd be surprised to see Hull make the team, after his poor showing at the World Cup of Hockey, both on and off the ice. This is a transition time for the U.S., and you can't have someone like Hull with his bad attitude around these young players. Roenick will likely be there, as he can still contribute, as can Chelios and Leetch. As good as they've been for USA Hockey, I think it's time to leave guys like LeClair and Amonte at home, unless they show something in the first half of the next NHL season.

A projected roster:

Forwards: Roenick, Blake, Cole, Drury, Gionta, Gomez, Guerin, Halpern, Konowalchuk, Modano, Rolston, Tkachuk, Weight. I can see a guy like Parise, Kesler or Brown cracking the team as a 13th forward. (Parise has been brilliant in international play). York could play his way into contention, too.
Defence: Chelios, Leetch, Leopold, Martin, Miller, Rafalski, Liles. Suter might make it as an eighth defenceman. Hatcher could be in there, too, if he rediscovers his form from a couple years ago.
Goalie: Esche, DiPietro, Conklin.

I think you'll start to see the transition to the next generation for American hockey. There is some talent there, some veterans who can still contribute (Guerin, Modano, Tkachuk, Weight, Chelios, Leetch and Rafalski), but I don't think they'll be enough for the Americans to win. The goalies will have to steal a couple games for the U.S. to be in medal contention - and they're capable of that.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
GameFace247SON said:
Is there any doubt in anyone's mind as to whether Robert Esche will be the #1 Goaltender? It seems pretty open and shut to me but I was advised that he is #3 on the depth chart.

I would think he's ahead of Conklin, but it's Dipietro's spot to lose after his outstanding performance at the World Championships. And I don't expect him to lose it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->