Line Combos: Roster Discussions

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Armia

Could also come down to something like:
Armia @ 1.5 + an asset for Petan
Petan @ 800k + an asset for Armia

I could see trimming salary and recouping picks as priorities.

Perreault or Little could also end up in on the chopping block instead. I mean, I expect the Jets to try to trim salary via Myers or Kuli first, but that may not be an option.

Yeah. I'm not sure they trade Little right now, but I am wondering whether they trade Perreault; put Petan with Litts and Rosie for a year on the 3a line; and then trade Petan after his value is recouped and Vesa/Apps are breaking down the door. Guess we need a second line centre under this scenario, so maybe I need to think about it more.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Armia

Perreault or Little could also end up in on the chopping block instead. I mean, I expect the Jets to try to trim salary via Myers or Kuli first, but that may not be an option.
light on d depth, heavy on forward depth. so i doubt Kuli or Myers are gone this season. Nike isn't a replacement for either of them or Enstrom.
Myers, you keep and let him walk.
Moz, you bridge deal and pay him heavier once Myers is gone.
Kuli isn't being moved with his injury and all. and he's only a headache for 2 more years. a proper salary structure with Moz and Trouba and it's not a worry.
Another option?
Mason to the minors for next year.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
OK, where did this "we hate MP" narrative come from?

The poster you're referencing has been bashing Frenchie since he joined 2 years ago. One has him trading Perreault for a bucket of chicken. Another suggests Petan is already twice the player Perreault was at his peak. There's dozens more proposing/predicting Chevy trades him to Montreal, I'm assuming for no other reason than because he's French

Ridiculous.

Perreault is arguably the best defensive forward on the team. The line of Little, Perreault & Armia are shutting down the NHL's best lines game after game, controlling the puck, tilting play to the offensive zone, outshooting the opposition & getting off the ice during sustained offensive pressure setting the stage for a wave of offence off the bench.

Come the playoffs I'm sure Mathieu will be making fans of everyone. Players like him shine in this environment.

Reactions: JetsUK and Maukkis

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Do you guys think Hellebuyck will start Saturday?

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Also wondering. Should have sat him yesterday and then played him saturday so he's not sitting too long before playoffs. Don't play him saturday now he'll be sitting for a week.
You guys are locked in, this game has no implications?

Reason I'm curious is I'm in first in our pool, guy in 2nd is 10 points behind and Hellebuyck is his goalie.
I'd be running away with the pool if it weren't for Hellebuyck.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
ESL 2
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

I like Tanev's motor a bit more. Armia obviously more skilled, but CLT's results have been better than CLA's

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Given the impending cap crunch it could make sense for the Jets to try and unload a player from the bottom of the roster and keep cheap fill ins like Petan or Dano. I'm not sure that he'll be gone.
Not sure who that might be. Most of the Jets' bottom 6 won't be making that much (Copp, Tanev, Armia, etc.). To be honest, the best option might be Perreault. He'd be tough to replace, but the Jets now have some very good bottom-6 players that can hold their own, and his $4.1M cap hit would give them more room for some other younger players.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
The poster you're referencing has been bashing Frenchie since he joined 2 years ago. One has him trading Perreault for a bucket of chicken. Another suggests Petan is already twice the player Perreault was at his peak. There's dozens more proposing/predicting Chevy trades him to Montreal, I'm assuming for no other reason than because he's French

Ridiculous.

Perreault is arguably the best defensive forward on the team. The line of Little, Perreault & Armia are shutting down the NHL's best lines game after game, controlling the puck, tilting play to the offensive zone, outshooting the opposition & getting off the ice during sustained offensive pressure setting the stage for a wave of offence off the bench.

Come the playoffs I'm sure Mathieu will be making fans of everyone. Players like him shine in this environment.
Perreault's on-ice results are undeniably good. I am in awe with some of these takes.

Do you guys think Hellebuyck will start Saturday?
I can't see Maurice not giving him a chance to take the sole possession of the one-season win record by an American goaltender. One of the Jets' insiders hinted this on Twitter, too.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
we say this, but i still am not 100% certain he's gone. we assume both armia and tanev are back. we assume Hendricks is gone. if Chevy were smart, he'd see if there's a market for Little....or our beloved Matty P.
stastny is gone.
soooo....if one assumes that the only roster move is letting Stastny go? then sure, Petan's gone. there's also little harm in having him Dano it up for the year. a burnt asset's a burnt asset.

I think we can safely assume that Stastny, Hendricks and Matthias are gone. That makes room for Rosie, Petan and Dano.

Vesalainen, Lemieux, Appleton and Spacek could take a step and challenge Petan and Dano. It seems that just about every TC has at least 1 surprise contender.

I really think it is time to thin the herd a bit. At least 1, maybe 2 of Petan, Dano, Lemieux, Lipon and Appleton should be moved this off-season. Maybe packaged with a roster player.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
As discussed, who could be a possible suitor for Perreault if he were a cap casualty? Still has 3 years left on his contract. Any teams with a mid round first have any interest for their 1st plus something small??

Just something to ponder as it keeps the pipeline of young talent flowing.

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
Given the impending cap crunch it could make sense for the Jets to try and unload a player from the bottom of the roster and keep cheap fill ins like Petan or Dano. I'm not sure that he'll be gone.
Unloading a player from the bottom of the roster doesn't really do anything for an impending cap crunch, however a mid level one does.

The logical choice ( for some ) seems to be a forbidden thought to many though.

Decisions and moves will be made that aren't popular but should be beneficial for the big picture.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Armia

Not much point in moving Armia unless someone makes a really good offer. His cap hit will likely be less than his on ice value.

Extremely unlikely Little is moved this off-season. Full NMC, no replacement 2C ready yet.

There is no real need to trim salary this year unless we need room for a FA signing. It is the next year when we will need to make room. That is when I think Perreault is likely gone. Myers might be moved this year in order to get some value before he walks the year after, but only if Trouba is extended.

Kuli would be tough to trade with his injury and heavy contract.

Not sure who that might be. Most of the Jets' bottom 6 won't be making that much (Copp, Tanev, Armia, etc.). To be honest, the best option might be Perreault. He'd be tough to replace, but the Jets now have some very good bottom-6 players that can hold their own, and his $4.1M cap hit would give them more room for some other younger players.

No need to move anybody this year. I think MP is gone the year after. Of course, if some team makes a good offer for him that changes.

I think 1 or 2 of the fringe forwards should be moved. Any of several roster players might be packaged with them to get a significant return.

We have F's we just can't use who are NHL level players. We either get something for them or lose them for nothing sometime soon.

Reactions: Jack722

kittiecarlyle

Nov 1, 2016
I think we can safely assume that Stastny, Hendricks and Matthias are gone. That makes room for Rosie, Petan and Dano.

Vesalainen, Lemieux, Appleton and Spacek could take a step and challenge Petan and Dano. It seems that just about every TC has at least 1 surprise contender.

I really think it is time to thin the herd a bit. At least 1, maybe 2 of Petan, Dano, Lemieux, Lipon and Appleton should be moved this off-season. Maybe packaged with a roster player.
Dano is already here and has been all season. So no room needs to be made for him on the roster. If he stays and isn't dealt playing time will come if deserved, or it won't and he'll be a depth forward again.

Moves will be made factoring in the return and the salary savings. I expect the Jets to move players above the bottom of the roster line a year too early rather than a year too late. At least I hope so.

Big picture planning, what other teams are willing to part with, additions the jets want to make. Lots of components.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Here's a WAR chart of this season for Jets forwards by Sean Tierney based on Corsica's data:
eoDCXM6.png

You can check out all players here: Tableau Public

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Here's a WAR chart of this season for Jets forwards by Sean Tierney based on Corsica's data:
eoDCXM6.png

You can check out all players here: Tableau Public

Morrissey and Trouba are the best two WAR dmen again which isn't surprising. What is surprising is Buff being dead last on the team. It looks like they are really punishing him for his lack of discipline.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Morrissey and Trouba are the best two WAR dmen again which isn't surprising. What is surprising is Buff being dead last on the team. It looks like they are really punishing him for his lack of discipline.
Yeah, WAR for defenders seems a little suspect to me.

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
Unloading a player from the bottom of the roster doesn't really do anything for an impending cap crunch, however a mid level one does.

The logical choice ( for some ) seems to be a forbidden thought to many though.

Agree, but I'm scared of a world where we keep all the "super talented" guys but have no real solid all-around line drivers, and then are stuck midway through next season wondering why so many players seem to lack chemistry.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
7th in ppg on our team. That means Connor, Wheeler, Chef, Stas (or little) Ehlers, Laine and Lowry play with a 7 man roster so 2 and 1/3 lines =)
Last I checked, a team ices twelve forwards.

Opinions are opinions, but f***ing hell, is yours a misinformed one.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Last I checked, a team ices twelve forwards.

Opinions are opinions, but ****ing hell, is yours a misinformed one.
You missed the smiley face which means I was being sarcastic. Of course you can't play with 2 lines. Don't you look foolish for getting all worked up.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Agree, but I'm scared of a world where we keep all the "super talented" guys but have no real solid all-around line drivers, and then are stuck midway through next season wondering why so many players seem to lack chemistry.
Hopefully these line drivers are putting up more points than 3 in 22 games. You know, assists passing the puck to those "super talented" guys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->