Line Combos: Roster Discussions

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
If I was his advisor I'd tell him to play in Russia a few more years. Make some money, hopefully build a name for himself there and then look to join the Jets when he will be closer to UFA. Which gives him more options then coming over and trying to make the Jets off the Moose where it will be pretty tough and possibly ruining his NHL career to early.

He's got a good reputation in Russia. If I were him, and I wanted an NHL career, I'd give it a year or two while I was still young, to make a name for myself over here. If I'm still toiling in the A after that, then I go back to the motherland.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I could see Vesa signing. Kraskovsky and Suess will be wildcards. Suess could very well go straight to FA and have a better chance at playing in the NHL. Kraskovsky will depend on how much he gets offered by Yaroslavl to come back.

None of which will have any effect on whether Rosie is with the Jets or not. The only way he doesn't stay with the Jets is if someone else plays better than he does.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
He's got a good reputation in Russia. If I were him, and I wanted an NHL career, I'd give it a year or two while I was still young, to make a name for myself over here. If I'm still toiling in the A after that, then I go back to the motherland.

That's the thing. He can still continue to develop in Russia. He's a 3rd line shutdown C on his team and from what I hear he's not really even that good over there. He has played internationally for them for his size and shutdown abilities but it's a big gamble to take early on in his career. Burmi was a similar style player and was much better at the same age. He'd be better off developing in Russia. Come over here when he's closer to UFA and if he can't make the Jets then and he can produce fairly well at the AHL level some team will take a chance on him in FA. If he comes over now and can't produce with the Moose he's going to have an uphill battle and likely heads back to Russia. He's not even close to his prime yet. On top of that he'd be signing cheaper in Russia after a failed NHL stint right now as his production is pretty low over there.

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
If i remember correctly (and I might not) they scored a lot while the team was trailing and the games were very open. My biggest issue with them was if they didn't score off the rush they were likely spending the rest of their shift in the Dzone. I don't understand how people want to return to something that didn't work team wise...

People often forget the circumstances of that lines scoring prowess. Playing versus the Dallas Stars AHL team as they were riddled with injuries. I believe it was almost exclusively home games where PoMo had control.

They were not going to be able to sustain that success if left together.

Reactions: DashingDane

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
People often forget the circumstances of that lines scoring prowess. Playing versus the Dallas Stars AHL team as they were riddled with injuries. I believe it was almost exclusively home games where PoMo had control.

They were not going to be able to sustain that success if left together.

That may have been true at the time. Laine and especially Ehlers have improved their defensive play since then. They have also gotten much better at maintaining possession in the O zone.

That said, I'm happy to leave EsL together. But putting E-Scheif-L back together would bump Connor and Wheeler to play with Little. MP and Rosie with Stas. Everybody's happy. :vhappy:

Dayofthedogs

Bettman's hammer
Feb 20, 2016
Winnipeg
That may have been true at the time. Laine and especially Ehlers have improved their defensive play since then. They have also gotten much better at maintaining possession in the O zone.

That said, I'm happy to leave EsL together. But putting E-Scheif-L back together would bump Connor and Wheeler to play with Little. MP and Rosie with Stas. Everybody's happy. :vhappy:

I would be much more open to try it at the moment while Laine and Ehlers play has really stepped up.

But now that we have Statsny why bother is my take.

It was more about the almost mythical status Laine-chef-Ehlers has recieved from their point production... A look under the hood showed it was in trouble. It's not just the kids, Chef really isn't a defensive wizard imo.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
The jets will go to the usual and I don't blame them

Connor shief wheeler
Laine stats ehlers
Perrault little roslovic
Copp lowry armia

I wldnt doubt If they even sent roslovic down to moose to play in the Calder cups and call up if needed

I agree that this is the optimum lineup. It’s a good balance of offensive potential on all 3 top lines, and if the Scheif and Copp lines match up with the opposition’s top lines, our 2nd and 3rd lines would feast on the leftovers!

Re: Kraskovski - I think that he is going to surprise people. He’s not a sniper, but from what I can remember in my limited viewings he plays very much like Lowry... big, physical, steady, smart. And even though he’s played against men in the KHL for a couple of years already, he was one of the youngest players in his draft and is still just 21. Now, I’m not sure what we’d do if we had another Lowry, but the more depth the better! I can’t wait to see him North America.

Reactions: 204hockey

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
I think long term Scheifele needs to be with Laine and Ehlers, but right now with Stastny and the kids having something really nice brewing, I love spreading out the skill the way 204Hockey put it.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The jets will go to the usual and I don't blame them

Connor shief wheeler
Laine stats ehlers
Perrault little roslovic
Copp lowry armia

I wldnt doubt If they even sent roslovic down to moose to play in the Calder cups and call up if needed
I think this is exactly the line up Mo runs with a fully healthy forward group. Though our numbering is a bit arbitrary as they will be hard matched especially at home. If Mo tries to match Lowry in a shut down role against the other team's top offensive line we just may find some of the best mismatches imaginable. The thought of MP-Little-Roslovic getting a 4th line matchup makes me giddy.

Reactions: 204hockey

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
As much as I like Tanevs overall game vs Roslos skill set, I think PMo needs to use them both at the appropriate times.
Stop using 3rd pair D with 4th line all the time.....it makes the 4th line mismatch....less.
Wheeler needs a rest.
Comrie needs relief duty.
Overtime needs a practice session with the kids.....it'll be important next year.
Little wasn't worth 5 mill plus neither is Enstrom but we need them both.
Morrow and Charoit are a very good 7/8 ...Poolman not so much.

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017
Morrow and Charoit are a very good 7/8 ...Poolman not so much.
say what? :skeptic: Poolman was great in the beginning of the season 2 lesser great games does not Change that.. Morrow Very good? :huh: ahhh but he was okay last game he played..

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Maybe its just everyones initial distain for Morrow but his Nhl resume is much better than Poolmans accomplishments so far.
I also don't really get the disdain for Morrow. As our #5 LHD at NHL minimum with an expiring contract he was a great pickup. He can at least play hockey at an NHL level when called upon. This is more than can be said by our actually LHD 3rd pairing D last season.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Little isn't washed up and is still a decent player. I like him and like having him on this team... but he is not playing up to the level of his contract and if this is his level of play from now on or even worse.... his contract is going to feel like the Pavelec contract.
I feel the same way about Buff. The man is playing great hockey but I don't think he is playing 7.6 mil dollar hockey. For that he would need twice as many points as he has right now. If Buff was around 6 I would think we had a real steal. At 7 I think we overpayed.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I feel the same way about Buff. The man is playing great hockey but I don't think he is playing 7.6 mil dollar hockey. For that he would need twice as many points as he has right now. If Buff was around 6 I would think we had a real steal. At 7 I think we overpayed.
He would have got more had he hit free agency.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He would have got more had he hit free agency.
Probably not. He is not in the same league defensively as Doughty. He is not a Norris winner like Karlsson nor does he have as many points this season as PK. His role on the cup winning Chicago was as a forward and was negligible at best. If anyone wants to pay 8-9 mil for him we should have let them as it would have meant they would not have been able to afford other great players so would be weaker.

Reactions: Ippenator

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Probably not. He is not in the same league defensively as Doughty. He is not a Norris winner like Karlsson nor does he have as many points this season as PK. His role on the cup winning Chicago was as a forward and was negligible at best. If anyone wants to pay 8-9 mil for him we should have let them as it would have meant they would not have been able to afford other great players so would be weaker.
that said there is always someone who is willing to overpay. So if everyone is overpaying I guess that becomes the new average. I also would only pay Lanie 9 mil but since everyone is overpaying players like Drai 10 mil doesn't sound insane.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
that said there is always someone who is willing to overpay. So if everyone is overpaying I guess that becomes the new average. I also would only pay Lanie 9 mil but since everyone is overpaying players like Drai 10 mil doesn't sound insane.

I really hope Chevy doesn't give him 10. He's managed the cap pretty well with our top guys. Hopefully Laine has more interest in winning a cup then filling his bank account.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Points influence pay but a Dman doesn't need the same points as a F for the same contract. He is expected to play D some of the time.

Buff is on a 53 point pace. That would have been ~5th in the league for Dmen last year. He has also been excellent defensively, at least for the last 20-30 games.

I don't know if his D got better after he finally got his first goal of the season or if it was after the injuries started. Whatever the trigger he has been playing some of his best hockey ever in the last 2-3 months. Maybe he has just realized that, with the offense we have from the rest of the team, he no longer needs to take risks to help the team score.

I hope it is that last because he has been outstanding defensively and is still scoring. A full season of this and we would be talking about Norris Buff.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I really hope Chevy doesn't give him 10. He's managed the cap pretty well with our top guys. Hopefully Laine has more interest in winning a cup then filling his bank account.

A lot will depend on the rest of this season and the PO's. I think his recent hot stretch is padding his bank account.

I dislike the terms 'team friendly contract' and 'home team discount'. I honestly think that those are about as rare as hen's teeth. If people are talking about a player leaving 1 or 2 mil x 8 years on the table you need to look at the total, not the AAV. That is 8-16 million dollars. Nobody leaves that there.

There are other factors, like local taxes and potential endorsements. I believe players also consider the chances of winning cups and sticking with a team to see the payoff after years of building, but I don't like putting it into those kinds of words. It sounds too much like fans expecting the players to act too much like fans.

I believe there is a range for each player at each contract signing. Some of these factors might influence a player to sign closer to the bottom of the range but I don't think they will go below the range.

I'm thinking about 9 for Laine now, up from 8. His agent may encourage him to go for less term also, so he can have another chance at big money sooner. In addition to Matthews, I think the Drai contract will have some influence. Like maybe that is the floor. I could see Laine signing 5x8.5.

It is going to be interesting to watch what happens this off-season. :popcorn:

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
A lot will depend on the rest of this season and the PO's. I think his recent hot stretch is padding his bank account.

I dislike the terms 'team friendly contract' and 'home team discount'. I honestly think that those are about as rare as hen's teeth. If people are talking about a player leaving 1 or 2 mil x 8 years on the table you need to look at the total, not the AAV. That is 8-16 million dollars. Nobody leaves that there.

There are other factors, like local taxes and potential endorsements. I believe players also consider the chances of winning cups and sticking with a team to see the payoff after years of building, but I don't like putting it into those kinds of words. It sounds too much like fans expecting the players to act too much like fans.

I believe there is a range for each player at each contract signing. Some of these factors might influence a player to sign closer to the bottom of the range but I don't think they will go below the range.

I'm thinking about 9 for Laine now, up from 8. His agent may encourage him to go for less term also, so he can have another chance at big money sooner. In addition to Matthews, I think the Drai contract will have some influence. Like maybe that is the floor. I could see Laine signing 5x8.5.

It is going to be interesting to watch what happens this off-season. :popcorn:

Yeah maybe a bridge is in our best interest in the short term. Then lock him up to the big money contract later on. I don't know...

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Yeah maybe a bridge is in our best interest in the short term. Then lock him up to the big money contract later on. I don't know...

I wouldn't think of a 5 year deal as a bridge, although it would take him to UFA. Actually it would include 1 UFA year. But I can see some mutual benefit to the shorter term if the AAV is a little lower. Some. Of course I would prefer him locked up as long as possible but it isn't always that simple.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I wouldn't think of a 5 year deal as a bridge, although it would take him to UFA. Actually it would include 1 UFA year. But I can see some mutual benefit to the shorter term if the AAV is a little lower. Some. Of course I would prefer him locked up as long as possible but it isn't always that simple.

The Hawks bridged Kane and Toews to enable them to keep winning. But at the end they had to hand out the big money contract and it has completely handicapped their depth. I think I'd trade a few years of being handicapped later on to win some cups in the short term. Rather then being handicapped right from the get go like Edmonton is.

Reactions: Ippenator

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->