Line Combos: Roster Discussions

Zhamnov10

Jul 17, 2011
I think it’s time Armia gets real shot in the top 9 with skilled players.He has some chemistry with Perreault and will bring some defensive help and puck control to that line and he may even find his scoring touch with a little confidence.

Connor/Scheif/Wheeler
Perreault/Little/Armia
Ehlers/Stastny/Laine
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Roslovic can slip into the line up replacing Tanev or Armia depending on who we are playing and team needs.Roslovic will be a top 9 guy soon enough but we need to do what’s best for our team in the short term.

Reactions: Ippenator

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I think it’s time Armia gets real shot in the top 9 with skilled players.He has some chemistry with Perreault and will bring some defensive help and puck control to that line and he may even find his scoring touch with a little confidence.

Connor/Scheif/Wheeler
Perreault/Little/Armia
Ehlers/Stastny/Laine
Copp/Lowry/Tanev

Roslovic can slip into the line up replacing Tanev or Armia depending on who we are playing and team needs.Roslovic will be a top 9 guy soon enough but we need to do what’s best for our team in the short term.
I think Roslo is what's best for the team and that he is better then Armia offensively already.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
We don’t look at, talk about or even think about changing the Stas line. If anything we give them more minutes.
Oh, we do. The entire autumn was spent arguing whether the red hot first line should be broken up to "fix" the dysfunctional second line.

The notion of breaking up the Stastny line to fix Scheifele and Little's is absolutely f***ing valid, for we seem to have two lines that are struggling to get going (particularly the second line). Applying the same logic in this scenario, there should be a horde of posters calling for ESL being split up at this point.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
I just can't fathom how some people can be so clouded by Maurice. His decision-making and line utilization has been poor at best. The mistakes are still there and he doesn't seem a whole a lot better coach than he was during 16-17. We have now clear evidence of ELL being one of the biggest, if not the biggest mistakes of the year yet he would overlook it (regardless or not by his own will) for frigging half a season. The biggest differences coming from 16-17 to 17-18 are improved net minding, somewhat better defense and of course special units. When you look at netminding, did P.Mo coach Hellebuyck to become All-Star level goalkeeper? I think not, they have different coaches for that. As for defense, that's the only improvement I can find to give the guy thumbs up, but then again the team hasn't suffered through an injury spree of 16-17 (and hasn't had the previously mentioned netminding issues), so who knows the exact difference. Now should we look at special units and power play in particular, he promoted Laine to the first powerplay unit and what happened? The Jets improved from 18th to 3rd best in the entire league. That begs the question - why was Laine, who's shot in particular was desperately been needed even back then - not playing in the first powerplay? Most likely answer: because he was a rookie. This worship he has for veterans has always been a trademark for Maurice and is even today which to me signals that he fears losing the locker room. Insecurity isn't a strength for someone that is supposed to be a leader. We watched him ice his guys who where by far the most unreliable against the Preds at the last minutes and this blind trust cost the team 2 points vs a team they pretty much the least wanted to lose against. At the end of the day he was given one of the best rosters to work with in the entire league, arguably one that's top 3 on the paper (and even better now than then). I have little doubt that most of the coaches could and would have achieved what he has or even do better given the exact same tools to work with.

I think you need to begin paying closer attention to games. Are you actually watching every game or cherry picking stats & comments from others?

You speak of "decision making" & "line usage" with zero examples of the most important decisions that occur within each game...who the opposition sends over the boards.

Line match up against the opposition are the biggest factor & dictates who the Jets counter with. Powerplay & penalty kill opportunities also play a huge role in allocating individual minutes. These decisions are fluid within the game & each game is different.

As already brought up countless times Laine has played the #1 line on the PP basically every game this season.Laine (3:11), Wheeler (3:13) & Scheifele (3:15) average PP ice time all mirror of each other within 4 seconds. Compared against the rest of the league each of these three are all in the top 40 for PP usage amongst forwards.

No one has ever made the claim Maurice is responsible for Bucky's improvement this year. You compound your false claim by assuming the Jets goaltending "coaches" (ps we don't have "coaches"...there's one Wade Flaherty) are the ones responsible for Bucky's improvement. He actually owes it all to the time spent this past summer with Adam Francilia of Apha Hockey Inc. He's overhauled his conditioning & now concentrates on his core. This has been the major reason for this seasons break thru.

Recent votes among experts have Maurice in 5th place in Jack Adams voting. A strong push towards the finish line may have him win it. Many Jets not only support Maurice & his coaching methods, they refer to him as the best coach they've ever had. Strong words from NHL players!

People aren't clouded by Maurice. They are well informed & impressed with the job he's done. The results speak for themselves.

Go Jets go!

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
Oh, we do. The entire autumn was spent arguing whether the red hot first line should be broken up to "fix" the dysfunctional second line.

The notion of breaking up the Stastny line to fix Scheifele and Little's is absolutely ****ing valid, for we seem to have two lines that are struggling to get going (particularly the second line). Applying the same logic in this scenario, there should be a horde of posters calling for ESL being split up at this point.
If you want to "fix" the second line, throw Wheeler in there. Voilá – the line is fixed. Little and Wheeler have proven success together, and Wheeler can get any line going with his relentless work effort and leadership.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
If you want to "fix" the second line, throw Wheeler in there. Voilá – the line is fixed. Little and Wheeler have proven success together, and Wheeler can get any line going with his relentless work effort and leadership.
You missed the point in its entirety, but other than that, a decent suggestion. I wonder how Connor-Scheifele-Roslovic would work, though.

Reactions: Hulide

Hulide

Jul 12, 2017

The notion of breaking up the Stastny line to fix Scheifele and Little's is absolutely ****ing valid, for we seem to have two lines that are struggling to get going (particularly the second line). Applying the same logic in this scenario, there should be a horde of posters calling for ESL being split up at this point.
Agree and not agree :) the different is we have 3 great offensive centers and a Roslovic now ;) Stastny and Roslovic makes the different.. we can have 3 great lines and a shutdown line now.. Before we only had Little and Schefele.

Farmboy Patty

Senior Hockey Analyst
Nov 2, 2017
You missed the point in its entirety, but other than that, a decent suggestion. I wonder how Connor-Scheifele-Roslovic would work, though.
I didn't have time to skim through the whole conversation, so sorry for that. I would just really like to see Wheeler play with Little, since I believe that Scheifele can work with pretty much anyone and that could give us 3 high scoring lines.

Reactions: Hulide

Lowered Expectations

Marner money
Feb 3, 2017
When Jets have secured the playoff spot, do You think it would be good to try to put Roslo to center and Little to his wing? Little is after all moro goal scorer than playmaker. MP would still be the other winger.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017

No, no, no...:nono:

You don’t risk hurting a young players confidence when they finally get it. If the Jets want to balance out the lines they should consider putting Wheeler on the 2nd line for depth and tbh Roslovic has been playing really well lately so he deserves a shot with Scheifele and the big 5v5 minutes.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
No, no, no...:nono:

You don’t risk hurting a young players confidence when they finally get it. If the Jets want to balance out the lines they should consider putting Wheeler on the 2nd line for depth and tbh Roslovic has been playing really well lately so he deserves a shot with Scheifele and the big 5v5 minutes.
Where was this mindset when CSW was tearing the league apart in November? It was all about "maximising the results" back then, and somehow, the central part of that approach was to break up the one successful line we had to fix the others. Now when the shoe is on the other foot, it's all dead quiet on the front that once was so vocal.

As if I expected anything else, but boy oh boy, Laine's production and the general panic about the line combos sure seem to correlate.

Jun 15, 2013
Winnipeg
When Jets have secured the playoff spot, do You think it would be good to try to put Roslo to center and Little to his wing? Little is after all moro goal scorer than playmaker. MP would still be the other winger.

I wouldn't say highly possible, but I do think it's possible that Little moves to RW & Roslovic shifts to centre...next season.

I doubt such a major overhaul occurs this year, even once our playoff position is secured.

Once that happens I'd rather be resting players that having line auditions. I'm sure there are nagging injuries that we are all unaware of that could use a few days rest before beginning a playoff series.

Reactions: ulf

grieves

silent prayer
Apr 27, 2016
Where was this mindset when CSW was tearing the league apart in November? It was all about "maximising the results" back then, and somehow, the central part of that approach was to break up the one successful line we had to fix the others. Now when the shoe is on the other foot, it's all dead quiet on the front that once was so vocal.

As if I expected anything else, but boy oh boy, Laine's production and the general panic about the line combos sure seem to correlate.

Not for me they don't. I'm extremely worried about our first line. They need to get to November levels. This is March.

I have been pretty vocal about PLE, but looking at PLR closer, it seems I was wrong. PLR seems to be a stronger line, although more games will of course show us more meaningful data.

Now all we have to do is fix the first line, but if we can't touch the other lines, we can't do that, unless we put Armia in the first line.

I think the key here is to start with something other than CSW eating the big minutes. We need a better line combo in that spot.

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB

I wouldn't be opposed to trying it a couple times. Just as long as we flip them back for the playoffs

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018

Poisoning the well a little bit here aren't you?

I can see reasons the situations may be different (other than assuming bias); the Little line was abysmal and never worked well, while each of our current top two lines have had great stretches before.

I agree with whoever said that Perreault and Roslovic are too similar, and it kind of feels like they're wasted together. A week ago I'd have agreed with grieves' suggestion to swap Ehlers and Roslo, but now... it seems like Ehlers and Laine have developed some chemistry, and it's really hard to break that up before trying other things.

Swapping Perrault and Wheeler might work but that would put them on off wings.

Swapping Roslo and Wheeler would put Schief with two kids...

Last edited:

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo

Nope. Because the Stastny line has now combined better excellent offense with also very good defensive play. Although sample size is still small, but of course you don’t split a line that has both offence and defence going on really well. The talks about splitting ESW or CSW earlier this season came mostly because those lines were seriously bleeding at their own end, so you couldn’t really say that they were that great in anything else than offence. And even then it should have been questionable to split them when their offence was going on really hot. Most of us were really demanding to do just any kind of line changes with the other lines and to at least somehow break up ELL , as that line was just the worst kind of a misuse of the three players playing in that line.

Your claim here is without any consistent logic and seems really more like just somekind of your own ”bitter” justice for players that you want to like more than some others. This is at least how it seems to me.

Once more, you never split up a very well offensively AND defensively working line, if you don’t have any other really balanced lines like that at the moment. Then you keep that kind of a line together, and start experimenting with the rest of the lines, how to make each of them better.

I think it would be probably good to put Perreault with Scheifele and Wheeler, and have Connor play with Little and Roslovic at the moment. At least try this for a couple of games.

Last edited:

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Not for me they don't. I'm extremely worried about our first line. They need to get to November levels. This is March.

I have been pretty vocal about PLE, but looking at PLR closer, it seems I was wrong. PLR seems to be a stronger line, although more games will of course show us more meaningful data.

Now all we have to do is fix the first line, but if we can't touch the other lines, we can't do that, unless we put Armia in the first line.

I think the key here is to start with something other than CSW eating the big minutes. We need a better line combo in that spot.
The main key in "fixing the 1st line is getting Lowry back. That alone will fix a lot.

Trouba and Enstrom won't hurt either.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
think it would be probably good to put Perreault with Scheifele and Wheeler, and have Connor play with Little and Roslovic at the moment. At least try this for a couple of games.
This is an interesting idea.

I would then treat the Stastny line as the 2nd line. I think the Little line would have the same problem as ELL, but if it's the third line, that's a bit more acceptable, and Little has proven he can carry a line with two very young players defensively already like he did in ELL. As well, they'll have easier matchups as the third line so their offence might actually be not so bad.

Reactions: Ippenator

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The main key in "fixing the 1st line is getting Lowry back. That alone will fix a lot.

Trouba and Enstrom won't hurt either.

Great point - at least for home games
I'd like to hear thoughts on how our 4th will get matched on the road - especially against teams that are rolling 3 solid lines

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
3 best center
Put 1 each of your 3 best wingers

Little Wheeler
Schiefele laine
Stastny Ehlers

Lowry Copp

Then spread out

Perrault
Connor
Roslovic
Armia
Tanev

One of them will need to sit with Hendrick in the pb though and Dano . Definitely not going to be Matty.

#reunite18&26 :)

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Whatever combos you want to put out there, the Jets aren't going to have a problem scoring. Heading into the playoffs Maurice is looking for the combinations that are going to cost him the least amount of goals. He knows what he has in Lowry, which in turn helps C-S-W, he's comfortable with PLR, as he should be and now he appears to have a lot less to worry about with Ehlers and Laine with the way Stastny is working with them, provided it continues.

I don't see much need to be shuffling the deck with the lines right now, when all they really need is to get healthy. They control the matchups at home and they will be tough to matchup against on the road with the balance they have.

The biggest issue I see with the Jets right now is their gaps are off and their puck retrieval and zone exits are labouring without the presence of Trouba and Enstrom. They aren't dictating the game as much as a result and are spending a bit more time on their side of centre.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->