New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Really wish we called up Fritz instead of Gionta. Gionta was terrible the last time he played in the NHL.

Surprised we didn’t. Trotz spoke highly of him since camp

I also don’t understand why they put Martin on the IR. Gionta for Czikas; MDC for Ladd; no one for Martin. Weird that after almost 2 weeks of being hurt they move him to the IR, then don’t call up a replacement.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Scrolling through AGross's twitter, he characterized Ladd and Cizikas yesterday as "nicked up". I guess that changed somewhat overnight.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Scrolling through AGross's twitter, he characterized Ladd and Cizikas yesterday as "nicked up". I guess that changed somewhat overnight.

That might've been a quote from Trotz. Everyone who saw Ladd knew it was a major injury. He couldn't put his leg on the ice to get off during play, then needed two people to help him to the locker room.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
That might've been a quote from Trotz. Everyone who saw Ladd knew it was a major injury. He couldn't put his leg on the ice to get off during play, then needed two people to help him to the locker room.
Sorry - I meant to say he was quoting Trotz.

Reactions: IODCPiper

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Surprised we didn’t. Trotz spoke highly of him since camp

I also don’t understand why they put Martin on the IR. Gionta for Czikas; MDC for Ladd; no one for Martin. Weird that after almost 2 weeks of being hurt they move him to the IR, then don’t call up a replacement.

His replacement is Ross Johnston and is already on the roster. Going to IR probably means his injury takes longer than they first thought

dlawong

Nov 24, 2011
Vancouver, Canada
Got to say Nelson has opened my eyes. He is a different player this season - is it because of his UFA contract year, new coach or just improved by experience? He definitely is playing smarter and with more grid.

Reactions: IODCPiper and SI

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Not that I'm commenting on either his worthiness or your opinion, but remember that many posters here didn't believe that either Filppula or Komarov belonged on the team.

Let's not be too quick to judge.
I still don't like Komarov at his four year contract. Flip I always endorsed. But Gionta is not in the same sentence. If not for LL Gionta wouldn't be around. He certainly didn't earn the call up. And all I keep hearing about lack of production as a reason why certain players are still stuck in the Ahl. Nonsense when Gionta gets the nod. Or Trotz saying that MDC is playing so well in Bridgeport he deserves the call up only to healthy scratch him.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Not that I'm commenting on either his worthiness or your opinion, but remember that many posters here didn't believe that either Filppula or Komarov belonged on the team.

I still don't like Komarov at his four year contract. Flip I always endorsed. But Gionta is not in the same sentence. If not for LL Gionta wouldn't be around. He certainly didn't earn the call up. And all I keep hearing about lack of production as a reason why certain players are still stuck in the Ahl. Nonsense when Gionta gets the nod. Or Trotz saying that MDC is playing so well in Bridgeport he deserves the call up only to healthy scratch him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

HE PLAYED THE NIGHT BEFORE. Dal Colle, a rookie, isn't going get a promotion and then play on back to back nights unless it's absolutely necessary. He also doesn't play center, so why are we talking about him and Gionta the same way?

Reactions: IODCPiper

Hunn

Feb 23, 2017
HE PLAYED THE NIGHT BEFORE. Dal Colle, a rookie, isn't going get a promotion and then play on back to back nights unless it's absolutely necessary. He also doesn't play center, so why are we talking about him and Gionta the same way?
Gionta also played the night before.

Reactions: Thrasymachus

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

You could not be more correct. I think that the impetus for the disdain for Gianta, and to your larger point, Leo and Flip, is that the fans always want the new and shiny toy. What I mean by that is that in my short time on this board (or any board) it is the obvious bias of most of the posters here is that they want to see the prospects playing NHL hockey right away. You can liken it to technology; people don't know what's in the box, or if it's better than what they already have, but they have heard the hype and so just have to have the thing NOW (even though it may still need to be in beta testing and is somewhat buggy or outright doesn't work).

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
If many of you had your way, this team would feature JHS, MDC, KB and DT. It would have no veteran presence at all and would be an out of control train wreck. Lets hope that every one of those guys become core players for the Islander dynasty of the future, but right now I'm glad we have cooler heads running the show.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Nothing against Gionta, he serves many purposes being experienced and a model pro who can teach the kids, but bringing him up as first callup shows how thin this team is down the middle. That needs fixing if this team is gonna keep going through the entire season

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
You could not be more correct. I think that the impetus for the disdain for Gianta, and to your larger point, Leo and Flip, is that the fans always want the new and shiny toy. What I mean by that is that in my short time on this board (or any board) it is the obvious bias of most of the posters here is that they want to see the prospects playing NHL hockey right away. You can liken it to technology; people don't know what's in the box, or if it's better than what they already have, but they have heard the hype and so just have to have the thing NOW (even though it may still need to be in beta testing and is somewhat buggy or outright doesn't work).
If many of you had your way, this team would feature JHS, MDC, KB and DT. It would have no veteran presence at all and would be an out of control train wreck. Lets hope that every one of those guys become core players for the Islander dynasty of the future, but right now I'm glad we have cooler heads running the show.

For the most part all the Islanders have are veteran players. We don't have any exciting young rookies or prospects on the team. We have enough grinders and fourth liners. Gionta isn't a better player than JHS and all he does is waste a roster space. MM, RJ, LEO, Casey, Clutter, Fritz,. Did I miss a few?

We have several guys that do what the former NJ Devil does and it's redundant. It's obvious the moves LL makes is redundant. Very short sighted.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Gionta hasn’t been a regular NHL player in 3 years. At least both Komarov and Filppula have been playing. Would much rather see Fritz over Gionta. And I still don’t like Komarov. Certainly not for another 3 years after this, that’s a bad contract.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin,
That all, with one accord, praise new-born gauds
Though they are made and moulded of things past,
And give to dust, that is a little gilt,
More laud than gilt, o'er-dusted."

William Shakespeare

Reactions: Thrasymachus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad