New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Martin, Cizikas, and Ladd to IR.

Martin is day to day. Cizikas is week to week. Ladd is out indefinitely.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I feel bad for the guy personally, but he is just stealing 5.5 million from the team at this point.

For sure. I don't like that he's injured and wouldn't wish it upon him, but that contract is terrible. If there's a silver lining to his injuries, it's that he might just be LTIR'ed for the rest of his career at some point.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
Hopefully the new CBA comes before the expansion draft so we don't have to waste a protection slot on Ladd.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Hopefully the new CBA comes before the expansion draft so we don't have to waste a protection slot on Ladd.

We won't have to anyway. He has a NTC, which wasn't protected in the last expansion draft, only NMC were.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Losing Cizikas is a huge blow to the bottom 6.

Especially when his replacement is Gionta. Czikas is showing signs of wearing down.

We need some Center depth in the organization. If another one of our Cs go down we are cooked.

Also, they put 3 on the IR but only recalled 2 players....

Last edited:

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
The people complaining about Ladd because he's paid too much remind me of the people who advocated letting Tavares walk so we would have all that money left over to build a better team.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The people complaining about Ladd because he's paid too much remind me of the people who advocated letting Tavares walk so we would have all that money left over to build a better team.

I think it's fair to say that he hasn't lived up to his contract. You don't? It's more about all the protections he has that is the issue for me. He's a really tough contract to move out.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
We won't have to anyway. He has a NTC, which wasn't protected in the last expansion draft, only NMC were.

IIRC, his contract had a NMC for the first few years (specifically so he wouldn't have to go to Vegas) but that has now changed to a NTC so we can leave him exposed in the Seattle draft.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
IIRC, his contract had a NMC for the first few years (specifically so he wouldn't have to go to Vegas) but that has now changed to a NTC so we can leave him exposed in the Seattle draft.

That is correct. In the 2020-21 season it becomes a modified NTC as well, protecting him from only 15 teams.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I think it's fair to say that he hasn't lived up to his contract. You don't? It's more about all the protections he has that is the issue for me. He's a really tough contract to move out.

He hasn't been the top six 25-30g, 50-60 point winger many expected. He's been a solid defensive forward, and has played with grit and he's produced when used in the top six. The truth is he is exactly what he's always been... a solid complimentary winger who can play anywhere up and down the lineup and chip in 20 goals. That has plenty of value... and helps teams win a hell of a lot more than cap space does.

This place is infatuated with unproven rookies (the younger the better), cap space and trashing any prospect that hasn't made an allstar team by age 21.

Tell me that statement isn't accurate.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005

I think the Isles are OK on that end, because his NMC only ran from the 2016-17 through 2017-18 seasons.

He is now on a NTC clause for the next two seasons, then a Modified NTC (15-team protection list submitted by the player) for the following three seasons.

So Ladd should be available to be exposed in the next expansion draft. At least assuming only NMC players need to be automatically protected.

I have said it many times, Ladd's litany and list of injuries (before even joining the Isles) are extremely long. The guy is probably held together by duct tape and baling wire at this point. Those chronic injuries alone will severely limit his effectiveness, let alone the bumps, bruises and daily grind sapping his strength and reflexes.

His upper body is probably shot, shoulder injuries are particularly troubling, and now he has a leg injury. He needs to be 100% healed or he will probably risk compensating for the lower-body injury, which could impact his back and around and around we go.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Tavares often led the isles in scoring and was their franchise player.

No one is ever gonna make either statement about Ladd.
He has not had 1 good and injury free season on LI.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He hasn't been the top six 25-30g, 50-60 point winger many expected. He's been a solid defensive forward, and has played with grit and he's produced when used in the top six. The truth is he is exactly what he's always been... a solid complimentary winger who can play anywhere up and down the lineup and chip in 20 goals. That has plenty of value... and helps teams win a hell of a lot more than cap space does.

This place is infatuated with unproven rookies (the younger the better), cap space and trashing any prospect that hasn't made an allstar team by age 21.

Tell me that statement isn't accurate.

I think the issue with Ladd is that he was brought in and paid like a guy who was going to produce 50-60 points and not be injured all the time. He's okay when he's in the lineup, we're just so starved for players who can drive play on their own that having another complimentary winger locked up, and one that is always hurt, is a really bad look.

There is definitely an infatuation with unproven players, cap space, and needing to get rid of prospects that aren't actually a problem yet. The sky is always the limit for prospects, until it isn't. Some people never learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad