New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Pelech is our #1 defenseman today :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Literally the worst defenseman on our roster not named Mayfield and that includes Aho and Toews

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Only in islanders country can we finally get rid of snow and after decades of mismanagement finally hire a guy who is one of the most respected executives in the NHL and hire top5 winningest coach and Stanley cup winner only tonhsve the fans still upset and complain.

Here’s an idea. Why doesn’t everyone post the offesson moves they would have made.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Only in islanders country can we finally get rid of snow and after decades of mismanagement finally hire a guy who is one of the most respected executives in the NHL and hire top5 winningest coach and Stanley cup winner only tonhsve the fans still upset and complain.

Here’s an idea. Why doesn’t everyone post the offesson moves they would have made.

Hickey for Karlsson
Nelson for Crosby
Eberle for Ovechkin

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

If the team had literally not made a single player personnel decision this off-season they would be far better than they are right now. If the team had kept Garth and he made every single player personnel decision that Lou made everyone here would be crucifying him (and rightfully so).

Reactions: Newsworthy

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
If the team had literally not made a single player personnel decision this off-season they would be far better than they are right now. If the team had kept Garth and he made every single player personnel decision that Lou made everyone here would be crucifying him (and rightfully so).

The only bad move in my mind is the Komorov Signing/Contract.

Matt Martin is debatable. He’s a fan favorite and will bring a much need moral boost after loosing Pajama Boy.

This is a team in transition and by the time Pajama mad his decision the tampering period already saw agreements in place with guys like Stastny.

Pajama boy leaving changed the direction of this team. Vets like Filpula on 1 year deals are low risk and won’t have much impact.

Sbisa was an odd one for me but sabwhat you want the guy is a veteran Defensman and it’s depth on the blue line.

Let’s wait to see how he handles the Lee and Eberle impending free agency before we crucify him.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Not only would the fans have pitchforks out for Snow, but there would be a lot more mocking from the national media if Snow had made the moves Lou made this offseason.

Looking at the final roster...it feels like a tank season. Sibsa for example has been in the nhl 9/10 seasons and has long had the all tools, no toolbox label.
Lou & Trotz have not seen Sbisa in 9/10 seasons?

Reactions: Newsworthy

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Not only would the fans have pitchforks out for Snow, but there would be a lot more mocking from the national media if Snow had made the moves Lou made this offseason.

Looking at the final roster...it feels like a tank season. Sibsa for example has been in the nhl 9/10 seasons and has long had the all tools, no toolbox label.
Lou & Trotz have not seen Sbisa in 9/10 seasons?

Lou has earned the benefit of the doubt whereas Snow hasn't.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
It sucks that we're half-way through the season and management has been icing shit veterans when we have exciting young players rotting in Bridgeport.

It sucks that they can't promote Toews now that he's been demoted.

It sucks that teams are stuck with players the whole season because you can't trade/waive/demote until the end of the year.

It sucks that we aren't going to the playoffs, because I completely expected to win the Stanley Cup this year.

Oh wait....

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008

I said this exact thing in another thread. Everyone just says "get a 2C and top 4D" as if they just fall out of the sky. Nobody has an actual plan, they just bitch and moan because that's all they know how to do.

The good thing is this board has been around a while and so have a lot of us. We all know who each other are for the most part -- it's getting easier to know when to skim and when to read.

The Lighthouse

Aug 1, 2011
Again, there were people in this fanbase that were jumping up and down and screaming because Ted Nolan didn't want to play Jeff Tambellini. Jeff. Tambellini. Which is why I can't take these complaints too seriously yet.

If we're going to suck, I'd rather not expose the kids to a garbage atmosphere with no leadership, like we had for so many years here - at least let the vets instill the right work ethic while the younger players are learning.

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
Just in the last two years, we've witnessed a GM and or owner make horrible decisions that most fans would not have. They cost the isles the playoffs. Maybe they cost the isles JT. The first is keeping halak in the minors when he was playing great. He should of been brought back 2, or 3 weeks prior. Then they demoted Barzel, one of the greats in the game, without giving him more time. They missed the playoffs by one point. Without those two mistakes they should of made the playoffs by six points. The great players, become great no matter what. Another year of junior didn't make Barzel great. His skating and passing made him.great. he probably had NHL skating and passing ability by 15.
Then you have Malkin costing the ISLES 4 1st round picks due to his JT disaster. So, I generally don't have much confidence in any GM before he wins the team something and earns it.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Again, there were people in this fanbase that were jumping up and down and screaming because Ted Nolan didn't want to play Jeff Tambellini. Jeff. Tambellini. Which is why I can't take these complaints too seriously yet.

If we're going to suck, I'd rather not expose the kids to a garbage atmosphere with no leadership, like we had for so many years here - at least let the vets instill the right work ethic while the younger players are learning.

Plus, it's game 1. The amount that changes by game 41 is always pretty remarkable.

I also think it's funny that when you read here, Twitter, Reddit, wherever -- how many of these people do you think have watched Toews play even ONE game? I'll be honest. I've seen Toews play ONCE -- one game that I was able to catch this preseason. And I'm a pretty damn avid fan of this team. I followed along the GDTs during all the preseasons -- it's pretty evident there really aren't a lot of people watching. There's like 5 people in there (yes, I understand you don't have to post in the GDT to be watching the game, but it is directional data). I'm sure everyone who is hopping mad on social media went and found the stream on the Isles websites to watch our preseason games. Or it's gotta be all those people that tuned into Quinnipiac and Bridgeport games... obviously.

I've been following this board for years, have read the recaps after Bridgeport games (damn, where's DRex), the scouting reports, seen his stats (especially before he got hurt), have seen other fans' takes -- so I am definitely excited for the promise of this kid. But I just find it hilarious that the vast majority of people spewing garbage are just people that are reading a very small minority of other people's reactions and echoing it. And then add in the fact that it's a long season, a lot of the first moves are based on contracts, the culture they are trying to build, keeping players like Bellows in top 6 roles, etc.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
There is going to be a shift in approach, philosophy....."systems".....in regards to how they play the game under Trotz. The vets are more likely to pick up on this faster with less mistakes, in theory of course. One would assume the same can be said to happen in BP in so far as "systems". Assuming it is so, the "kids" can learn it all playing quality minutes....up here, they will not get that time. Theory....when the time comes, they will have the experience of playing within the new team "systems" and that, will be one less thing they need to adapt to.

Reasonable approach from veterans leaders.
Patience.....

Reactions: dood and Macch

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Plus, it's game 1. The amount that changes by game 41 is always pretty remarkable.

I also think it's funny that when you read here, Twitter, Reddit, wherever -- how many of these people do you think have watched Toews play even ONE game? I'll be honest. I've seen Toews play ONCE -- one game that I was able to catch this preseason. And I'm a pretty damn avid fan of this team. I followed along the GDTs during all the preseasons -- it's pretty evident there really aren't a lot of people watching. There's like 5 people in there (yes, I understand you don't have to post in the GDT to be watching the game, but it is directional data). I'm sure everyone who is hopping mad on social media went and found the stream on the Isles websites to watch our preseason games. Or it's gotta be all those people that tuned into Quinnipiac and Bridgeport games... obviously.

I've been following this board for years, have read the recaps after Bridgeport games (damn, where's DRex), the scouting reports, seen his stats (especially before he got hurt), have seen other fans' takes -- so I am definitely excited for the promise of this kid. But I just find it hilarious that the vast majority of people spewing garbage are just people that are reading a very small minority of other people's reactions and echoing it. And then add in the fact that it's a long season, a lot of the first moves are based on contracts, the culture they are trying to build, keeping players like Bellows in top 6 roles, etc.

giphy.gif

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Costigan77

Oct 7, 2014
Manhasset, NY
Just in the last two years, we've witnessed a GM and or owner make horrible decisions that most fans would not have. They cost the isles the playoffs. Maybe they cost the isles JT. The first is keeping halak in the minors when he was playing great. He should of been brought back 2, or 3 weeks prior. Then they demoted Barzel, one of the greats in the game, without giving him more time. They missed the playoffs by one point. Without those two mistakes they should of made the playoffs by six points. The great players, become great no matter what. Another year of junior didn't make Barzel great. His skating and passing made him.great. he probably had NHL skating and passing ability by 15.
Then you have Malkin costing the ISLES 4 1st round picks due to his JT disaster. So, I generally don't have much confidence in any GM before he wins the team something and earns it.

So its BarzAL.....aAron.

15 year olds do not have NHL ability. ...if he did, he wouldn't have lasted to the 16th pick of the 1st round

Really would love to understand the "4 1st round picks" angle, but I have a feeling I will just be disappointed by your response.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
The great players, become great no matter what.
A true statement if ever I saw one. Impossible to disprove.

Of course, there is an entirely different category: the guys who could have been great but didn't become great because they were mishandled.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
So its BarzAL.....aAron.

15 year olds do not have NHL ability. ...if he did, he wouldn't have lasted to the 16th pick of the 1st round

Really would love to understand the "4 1st round picks" angle, but I have a feeling I will just be disappointed by your response.

I'm guessing it's the idea that there was tampering.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Seems like we need this...

I wanted to sign Pulock to a long azz contract

I'm also down with giving Barzal the C today since we need to start kissing his azz pronto and making him feel like this is his team.

Other than that - I got nothing

scott99

May 13, 2005
This thread and others just reinforces that Islander's fans are the worst. Been a fan since 1975, have seen greatness, AND complete and utter shit. Islander's fans have been beaten up the last 25 years with minor league GMs and minor league coaches. So they don't realize when they have something good (possibly great) in Lamoriello and Trotz (and his great coaching staff). Therefore I will excuse the nonsense in THIS thread and others. Lots of young guys only know the shit years, so I understand.

burana800

Dec 5, 2010
Finland
I just don't understand why LL didn't trade Nelson for Vezina caliber goalie and Ho-Sang and 2022 3rd for second line center. f***in amateur.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Greiss getting the starting nod is concerning to me. Didn’t he look awful in preseason too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad