New York Islanders: Roster Discussion: Filppula out 4 weeks; Boychuk, Eberle day to day

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Filppula was 5th among forwards in ice time for Philly and Komarov was 7th among TOR forwards (ahead of JVR), so their coaches didn't think they were that horrible.
Hakstal is a bottom 5 coach in the entire league and Babcock had a soft spot for Leo but late in the season even he saw what was obvious and used him less. The fact Toronto had absolutely no interest in keeping him says it all.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Hakstal is a bottom 5 coach in the entire league and Babcock had a soft spot for Leo but late in the season even he saw what was obvious and used him less. The fact Toronto had absolutely no interest in keeping him says it all.
Up until Leo was injured, he was one of the favorite players to protect leads late in the game (which, oddly enough, is when the other team is pressing the most, and using only their best players, and why a higher percentage of time is spent in their end). And he was one of the best at keeping the lead, even when playing against a 5-on-3, or a 4-on-3 in OT.
Yes he was used less when injured, and the Leafs did make him an offer, but only two years.

Reactions: dood

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Only in islanders country can we finally get rid of snow and after decades of mismanagement finally hire a guy who is one of the most respected executives in the NHL and hire top5 winningest coach and Stanley cup winner only tonhsve the fans still upset and complain.

Here’s an idea. Why doesn’t everyone post the offesson moves they would have made.

Most days I'd agree with you but in an offseason where Hoffman, Karlsson and Paccioretty were all traded you cannot say players weren't available. I think it's pretty fair to complain when three names like that changed teams and we got Komarov, Fillipula and Martin and have Tanner Fritz in the opening day lineup. I'm not complaining because I'm actually one of those who knows the tank is on and embracing it. I just wish Lam and Trotz didn't keep trying to force feed us this nonsense they are trying to be competitive. Every team's GM/coach say those things one time in the beginning of the season, but then they know to shut up about it because it's just false hope. Don't know why Lou and Trotz are still positive. Half this roster better be gone by the trade deadline with lots of picks to work with in the next draft.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Pelech is our #1 defenseman today :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Literally the worst defenseman on our roster not named Mayfield and that includes Aho and Toews

Come on. He played one season under a bad coach. He obviously is good enough to be here or Trotz would have sent him down. It wasn't even in question that he would be sent down, so don't be that guy that pretends he was rooting for him all along when he becomes a number 2 defenceman.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Everyone here is nuts considering the roster.

1. You already had your top 6 set with the exception of 2C which was Nelson or Kovar with Nelson being the obvious choice. Bellows and Ho-Sang are top 6 type players. Better for them to get those minutes in Bridgeport than waste away on the third line. Kovar is still adjusting to the North American game. So he's a work in progress.

2. The bottom six was abysmal last year. Basically a liability every night they have the MC2 line back and Komorov/Filpula/Ladd, Fritz is a giant upgrade over Quine/Prince/Kulemin/Wagner/Chimera/and whatever other garbage they were trotting out. There will be a lot less goals allowed even though they won't be as productive as we'd like.

3. For the defense Toews should have been in the top 6. Only reason I see him being down is to give the guy 20 minutes a night since he hasn't played since December. Other than that we all knew this is what they have. They will be better just based off of team strategy. The D was handled abysmally last year by Weight.

4. Lehner/Greiss will be fine. They are both good goalies and we've seen it in the past. No reason they both don't come out playing well. And they have actual goalie coaching now with Korn and Pierro. I expect good things out of them.

As for coaching Weight isn't even in the same solar system when it comes to coaching as Trotz. We all appreciate the guy but it'll become more and more apparent by games 20, 40, and 60 the differences. Say goodbye to those awful months this team always experiences. It's no wonder why they always happened. Teams playing the Isles were making adjustments and they never kept up. So they would get exposed constantly.

This season is a mix of A)punting the season away and B)being competitive. The long term keys to this teams success will stay and the dead weight will be cut. 365 days from now this team will look very different.

Finally, I'd like to see Lee signed sooner rather than later and given the "C." He deserves it.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Come on. He played one season under a bad coach. He obviously is good enough to be here or Trotz would have sent him down. It wasn't even in question that he would be sent down, so don't be that guy that pretends he was rooting for him all along when he becomes a number 2 defenceman.
He’s also up because Garth Snow signed him until 2021.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Everyone here is nuts considering the roster.

1. You already had your top 6 set with the exception of 2C which was Nelson or Kovar with Nelson being the obvious choice. Bellows and Ho-Sang are top 6 type players. Better for them to get those minutes in Bridgeport than waste away on the third line. Kovar is still adjusting to the North American game. So he's a work in progress.

2. The bottom six was abysmal last year. Basically a liability every night they have the MC2 line back and Komorov/Filpula/Ladd, Fritz is a giant upgrade over Quine/Prince/Kulemin/Wagner/Chimera/and whatever other garbage they were trotting out. There will be a lot less goals allowed even though they won't be as productive as we'd like.

3. For the defense Toews should have been in the top 6. Only reason I see him being down is to give the guy 20 minutes a night since he hasn't played since December. Other than that we all knew this is what they have. They will be better just based off of team strategy. The D was handled abysmally last year by Weight.

4. Lehner/Greiss will be fine. They are both good goalies and we've seen it in the past. No reason they both don't come out playing well. And they have actual goalie coaching now with Korn and Pierro. I expect good things out of them.

As for coaching Weight isn't even in the same solar system when it comes to coaching as Trotz. We all appreciate the guy but it'll become more and more apparent by games 20, 40, and 60 the differences. Say goodbye to those awful months this team always experiences. It's no wonder why they always happened. Teams playing the Isles were making adjustments and they never kept up. So they would get exposed constantly.

This season is a mix of A)punting the season away and B)being competitive. The long term keys to this teams success will stay and the dead weight will be cut. 365 days from now this team will look very different.

Finally, I'd like to see Lee signed sooner rather than later and given the "C." He deserves it.

Just adding that injuries are going to happen and we'll see Toews/Bellows/Kovar/Ho-Sang before you know it. And at that point, if those players deserve to stay in the NHL, they'll do so.

Other than that, /thread.

Reactions: Quicklime

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017

Im not pretending to be anything.

Im that guy who thinks Pelech sucks from watching him every game last year. The fact that he is our #1 now is embarrassing. Also putting Boychuk and Sbisa together is embarrassing. I like Sbisa but he needs to be with a Hickey/Leddy/Toews partner. Boychuck at #6 is also embarrassing since he's probably our best defensive defenseman.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Im not pretending to be anything.

Im that guy who thinks Pelech sucks from watching him every game last year. The fact that he is our #1 now is embarrassing. Also putting Boychuk and Sbisa together is embarrassing. I like Sbisa but he needs to be with a Hickey/Leddy/Toews partner. Boychuck at #6 is also embarrassing since he's probably our best defensive defenseman.

Good thing this isn't set in stone for 82 games right? I'm sure Trotz won't make any adjustments based off of what he sees.

Since you watched every game last year I guess you'll agree that there was zero structure played by this team and the forwards and coaches barely gave a lick of thought to any type of defensive game right?

Reactions: Quicklime

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Most days I'd agree with you but in an offseason where Hoffman, Karlsson and Paccioretty were all traded you cannot say players weren't available. I think it's pretty fair to complain when three names like that changed teams and we got Komarov, Fillipula and Martin and have Tanner Fritz in the opening day lineup. I'm not complaining because I'm actually one of those who knows the tank is on and embracing it. I just wish Lam and Trotz didn't keep trying to force feed us this nonsense they are trying to be competitive. Every team's GM/coach say those things one time in the beginning of the season, but then they know to shut up about it because it's just false hope. Don't know why Lou and Trotz are still positive. Half this roster better be gone by the trade deadline with lots of picks to work with in the next draft.

Have you ever thought Hoffman didn't want to sign with us? Karlsson wouldn't agree to an extension, so what's the use in that...we could have gotten Patches, but what for? If JT wasn't staying, it wasn't worth it.

We had a need to tighten defence because third line last year was non-existent and the rest was just a plain bad system. Komarov was the best out of the bunch and he wanted term..should we have done nothing and have players that weren't taught well. This is a teaching system, not a "learn on the job" kind.

I honestly don't think we will tank this year and people will be surprised at the outcome. Previously, we gave up, we didn't know what hard work was or how to win. All these guys acquired keep their feet moving and are hard workers and Trotz leads by example. I think Trotz rewards hard work and that's why Fritz is up. I am sure if things aren't going as planned, you will see some moves. We just have to see 10-20 games before he can make that assumption that things need to be changed up.

Not only have we have been improving defence, we now have depth. We can call up players and not worry about their lack of experience. Our depth can hold their own and can easily be a temp stop-gap until inuries are over instead of the season going south when 1 or 2 injuries happen.. for example..last year when cool lemon and dehaan went down.

Reactions: dood

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006

Let's play that game on players being available.

Hoffman and Paccioretty are top 6 wingers. Does this team need more top 6 wingers? And if you trade for them which top 6 wingers do you want to replace? And personally with the state of the team I'd rather have one of Dobson/Wahlstrom for at minimum 3 years plus a second contract than Paccioretty for 5 years.

Karlsson didn't want to sign an extension here. If you don't think Lou was trying to get him your out of your mind. But trading him without an extension is a dumb move. Plus it was said that if he stayed in the East the cost was a hell of a lot higher.

The fact of the matter is outside of Duchene(pending UFA) there was no top 6 centers that moved who I think they should have been in on.

What top 4 D outside of Karlsson would you have liked?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What top 4 D outside of Karlsson would you have liked?

Well they could've given a legit top 4 D 500k and kept him. They also had another guy who was top 4 quality but they sent him to the AHL to make room for probably the worst defenseman in the league.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Only in islanders country can we finally get rid of snow and after decades of mismanagement finally hire a guy who is one of the most respected executives in the NHL and hire top5 winningest coach and Stanley cup winner only tonhsve the fans still upset and complain.

Here’s an idea. Why doesn’t everyone post the offesson moves they would have made.

Filppula -> Matthew Peca

Komarov -> Michael Grabner

Lehner -> Carter Hutton

Hickey -> Calvin de Haan

Still would have done the Martin trade and signed Kovar and Kuhnhackl.

Beauvillier-Barzal-Bailey
Lee-Peca-Eberle
Nelson-Kovar-Grabner
Martin-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Kuhnhackl, Fritz

de Haan-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Pelech
Mayfield

Hutton
Greiss

IR: Ladd

Johnston -> waived
Sbisa -> never signed

Reactions: SI90

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Hey Isles fans. Good luck tonight!

How did your Sebastian Aho do in camp this year? Sad to see he's not in the lineup for a Sebastian Aho vs Sebastian Aho matchup tonight.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

How did your Sebastian Aho do in camp this year? Sad to see he's not in the lineup for a Sebastian Aho vs Sebastian Aho matchup tonight.

He looked pretty good, but there's a logjam on the back end this season at the start. I'm hoping he'll make his way into the lineup later on.

Reactions: MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

He wasn't bad at all really. Got caught up in a numbers crunch on defense. As in last year he would be the 2nd defenseman called up from the AHL in case of injury or if someone shits the bed.

Reactions: CandyCanes

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Filppula -> Matthew Peca

Lehner -> Carter Hutton

Hickey -> Calvin de Haan

Lee-Peca-Eberle
Nelson-Kovar-Grabner
Kuhnhackl, Fritz

de Haan-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Pelech
Mayfield

Hutton
Greiss

Johnston -> waived
Sbisa -> never signed

Those are all reasonable moves but nothing overwhelmingly better except for maybe deHaan.

I would have definitely preferred Grabner to Komorov.

Peca is still unproven and can’t be penciled into the #2 Center spot.

Hutton had an incredible season last year and supposedly the isles tried to actually sign him and he chose BUF.

The moves you mentioned are realistic but let’s be honest even though they are slight upgrades they’re still not moves that would be earth shattering enough for people around here.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
Well they could've given a legit top 4 D 500k and kept him. They also had another guy who was top 4 quality but they sent him to the AHL to make room for probably the worst defenseman in the league.

I would have liked to have kept CDH but with the shoulder injuries and the lack of insurance they might have had their limit dollar wise. Could have been a factor but we don't know.

Toews will be a lot sooner than later. I suspect this is just go give him 20 minutes a night since he didn't play since December. If he's not up by game 15 I'll be complaining.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Filppula -> Matthew Peca

Lehner -> Carter Hutton

Hickey -> Calvin de Haan

Lee-Peca-Eberle
Nelson-Kovar-Grabner
Kuhnhackl, Fritz

de Haan-Pulock
Leddy-Boychuk
Toews-Pelech
Mayfield

Hutton
Greiss

Johnston -> waived
Sbisa -> never signed
Which Grabner do you think we would get? The one on the Rangers 2 years ago or the one from last year who the Devils got who didn't score for either team? That's the one the Islanders had who was missing wide and ringing rockets off the glass. The Coyotes signed him for 3 years. Let them have him.

Peca is all based on potential. He wasn't taking a 1 year deal.

I was never the biggest deHaan fan on this board. With his history of shoulder problems I wouldn't have committed the term to him that he was seeking.

Agree with you on Carter Hutton. I wish we would have made a play for him.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Which Grabner do you think we would get? The one on the Rangers 2 years ago or the one from last year who the Devils got who didn't score for either team? That's the one the Islanders had who was missing wide and ringing rockets off the glass. The Coyotes signed him for 3 years. Let them have him.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the love affair Isles fans have with Grabner is nauseating. He wasn't that good.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I've said it before and I'll say it again, the love affair Isles fans have with Grabner is nauseating. He wasn't that good.
He'll give you that one year where everything he touches goes in, then the other 3 years he can't put the puck in the ocean. Yes, he's fast but what good is it when he can't finish a breakaway? That's the Grabner I remember on the Islanders.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Good thing this isn't set in stone for 82 games right? I'm sure Trotz won't make any adjustments based off of what he sees.

Since you watched every game last year I guess you'll agree that there was zero structure played by this team and the forwards and coaches barely gave a lick of thought to any type of defensive game right?

Yes absolutely. Doesn't change the fact that Pelech is the worst defenseman out of the 6 starters listed.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

He’s definitely carved out his place in the league in my opinion. When he’s used properly (bottom six minutes 5v5 with PK minutes), he can be effective.

I think he’ll do well in Arizona. Tocchet wants to play fast while Capuano wanted to slow everything down.

Reactions: PK Cronin

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
He’s definitely carved out his place in the league in my opinion. When he’s used properly (bottom six minutes 5v5 with PK minutes), he can be effective.
Then there are too many restrictions on Grabner’s usage to justify signing him to a 3 year deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->