Roster Decisions to watch down the stretch

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
After a season of lots of roster flux, it seems like we've finally settled on a lineup going forward and are likely to stick with it.

There are a couple of variables that we should keep on an eye on down the stretch, however.

1) Which pair emerges as the 2nd pair?

Gardiner-Franson has been our 2nd pair for most of the season. Playing 20+mpg and in all situations. Unfortunately, after a great playoffs last year, they've been pretty damn bad this year. Just far too many mistakes by both players on a consistent basis, with not enough reward on the offensive end to make up for it.

Meanwhile, not only has Gleason been a rock solid add to the team, but he's also been a nice steadying presence for young Rielly. Rielly is now starting to eliminate the glaring defensive mistakes from his game, and becoming much more consistent in moving the puck effectively out of danger.

Last night we finally went back to a 6 man defense (with Ranger dropped), and we ended up seeing the Gleason-Rielly pairing used at least as much, and actually a little bit more than, the Gardiner-Franson pairing.

Last night:

Gleason 19:34 - Rielly 17:00
Gardiner 15:56 - Franson 19:36

And really, it makes sense - Gleason-Rielly is looking to be better defensively than Gardiner-Franson, and every bit as good in terms of puckmoving ability.

It'll be interesting to see if this was a one-off, or if at least subconsciously Randy is starting to feel the Gleason-Rielly pair is more reliable than the Gardiner-Franson pair.

2) Who's our 2nd line RW?

They signed Clarkson to be the 2nd line RW, they want him to be the 2nd line RW, but the problem is that he's godawful at the game of hockey. Kadri and Lupul were red hot with Kuly on their line, and went ice cold as soon as Clarkson was back on their line.

By the end of the game last night, Randy flipped them back and Kadri-Lupul instantly looked more dangerous with Kuly back on their line.

And to be honest, Clarkson hasn't even earned a spot on our 3rd line this year. When Bolland gets healthy, in all fairness Holland would have a 3rd line spot ahead of Clarkson, all things being equal.

Unless Clarkson steps up in a huge way, I'll be annoyed if Randy doesn't keep Kuly on that 2nd line.

And I might even start complaining about Clarkson even being on the 3rd line if Bolland comes back playing well.

3) Who are our 4th line wingers?

of course we've got the 2 goons McLaren (L) and Orr (R).

we've also got the 2 older borderline NHLers Smith (L) and Bodie (R).

And we've also got the kids Ashton (L), D'Amigo (L), Holland (L).

For the life of me I can't see how Randy can live with playing Orr over Bodie anymore. Bodie has proven to be simply much more effective and is a legit quality 4th liner with speed, size, toughness, and energy. I'd be surprised if Bodie comes out of the lineup anymore even when we're healthy....and I'll complain if he does.

But of course, Randy needs a goon in there, so that means that McLaren is the frontruner for the LW spot - even though he sucks at hockey.

Smith or Holland seem to be natural fits there, though Ashton brings more of the physical/energy game that randy might want from his 4th line. D'Amigo might be the best choice of all, since he brings legit PK and defensive ability to his speed/grit package.

Basically, IMO, the goons have to be gone. We just have too many better options to have either of these stiffs in the lineup when the games are important.

So this will be something to keep an eye on going forward - exactly how stubborn will Randy be in keeping a goon in the lineup when there's clearly a whole whack of much better options?

Durkin67

After a season of lots of roster flux, it seems like we've finally settled on a lineup going forward and are likely to stick with it.

There are a couple of variables that we should keep on an eye on down the stretch, however.

1) Which pair emerges as the 2nd pair?

Gardiner-Franson has been our 2nd pair for most of the season. Playing 20+mpg and in all situations. Unfortunately, after a great playoffs last year, they've been pretty damn bad this year. Just far too many mistakes by both players on a consistent basis, with not enough reward on the offensive end to make up for it.

Meanwhile, not only has Gleason been a rock solid add to the team, but he's also been a nice steadying presence for young Rielly. Rielly is now starting to eliminate the glaring defensive mistakes from his game, and becoming much more consistent in moving the puck effectively out of danger.

Last night we finally went back to a 6 man defense (with Ranger dropped), and we ended up seeing the Gleason-Rielly pairing used at least as much, and actually a little bit more than, the Gardiner-Franson pairing.

Last night:

Gleason 19:34 - Rielly 17:00
Gardiner 15:56 - Franson 19:36

And really, it makes sense - Gleason-Rielly is looking to be better defensively than Gardiner-Franson, and every bit as good in terms of puckmoving ability.

It'll be interesting to see if this was a one-off, or if at least subconsciously Randy is starting to feel the Gleason-Rielly pair is more reliable than the Gardiner-Franson pair.

2) Who's our 2nd line RW?

They signed Clarkson to be the 2nd line RW, they want him to be the 2nd line RW, but the problem is that he's godawful at the game of hockey. Kadri and Lupul were red hot with Kuly on their line, and went ice cold as soon as Clarkson was back on their line.

By the end of the game last night, Randy flipped them back and Kadri-Lupul instantly looked more dangerous with Kuly back on their line.

And to be honest, Clarkson hasn't even earned a spot on our 3rd line this year. When Bolland gets healthy, in all fairness Holland would have a 3rd line spot ahead of Clarkson, all things being equal.

Unless Clarkson steps up in a huge way, I'll be annoyed if Randy doesn't keep Kuly on that 2nd line.

And I might even start complaining about Clarkson even being on the 3rd line if Bolland comes back playing well.

3) Who are our 4th line wingers?

of course we've got the 2 goons McLaren (L) and Orr (R).

we've also got the 2 older borderline NHLers Smith (L) and Bodie (R).

And we've also got the kids Ashton (L), D'Amigo (L), Holland (L).

For the life of me I can't see how Randy can live with playing Orr over Bodie anymore. Bodie has proven to be simply much more effective and is a legit quality 4th liner with speed, size, toughness, and energy. I'd be surprised if Bodie comes out of the lineup anymore even when we're healthy....and I'll complain if he does.

But of course, Randy needs a goon in there, so that means that McLaren is the frontruner for the LW spot - even though he sucks at hockey.

Smith or Holland seem to be natural fits there, though Ashton brings more of the physical/energy game that randy might want from his 4th line. D'Amigo might be the best choice of all, since he brings legit PK and defensive ability to his speed/grit package.

Basically, IMO, the goons have to be gone. We just have too many better options to have either of these stiffs in the lineup when the games are important.

So this will be something to keep an eye on going forward - exactly how stubborn will Randy be in keeping a goon in the lineup when there's clearly a whole whack of much better options?

Holland on the 4th line doesnt make sense. Hes best served playing meaningful minutes in the AHL if he cant get 13 minutes a game with the Leafs.

4th line duty is for people with a physical skill set. D'Amigo isnt in that category. Ashton, like Holland, is better off gunning for a calder cup than riding the pine with the big club.

Bodie isnt borderline- he's an excellent, low maintenance 4th line option all day long. He forechecks, creates panic down low for opposing D, and he's a coachable player with a big body. He's the perfect foot soldier.

When the war of attrition also called the playoffs starts and other goons start throwing Kessel, Rielly and Kadri around like rag dolls, our "goons" will be of service...

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
For his development I agree Holland on the 4th line doesn't make sense longterm.

But when it comes down to playoff games (and any crucial regular season games down the stretch), when we're talking about icing our best possible roster, than Holland on the 4th line has to be in the discussion.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
As for Bodie - he's been a borderline NHLer his whole career. Nothing controversial about that statement.

The way he's playing now, of course, I think he has to be in the lineup.

Durkin67

As for Bodie - he's been a borderline NHLer his whole career. Nothing controversial about that statement.

The way he's playing now, of course, I think he has to be in the lineup.

I think you are measuring him by past performance. Besides, it can be said that just about all 4th liners are "borderline" or damn near. If they weren't, they wouldnt be on the fourth line.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
Bodie has earned his way into the lineup right now through his actual play. He really hasn't shown much enforcer wise but he has actually played better than both D'Amigo and Ashton.

Ashton simply isn't doing anything in the NHL. He's scoring a lot in the AHL so I would let him keep going on that hot streak right now. It can only help him in the long run to be putting up great AHL numbers.

D'Amigo should be in the AHL

McLaren should be in the same role as always - a guy you spot in occasionally depending on injuries or how tough the other team is

Smith is completely useless on the 4th line playing 4-6 minutes a night. He would be my last choice out of everyone here for a 4th line spot. He's a good AHL callup to play 3rd line if there are injuries but he adds nothing at all on the 4th line as we've seen all season

Holland needs to be developed, no 4th line for him

Our 4th line should be Bodie-Mcclement-Orr with Holland up playing 3C until Bolland is back

As for the 2nd line RW, it seems like a fairly easy choice with Kulemin. He is at his best on that line and the line as a whole works better. Clarkson on the other hand was at his best when he was on a line with Raymond and Bolland however that didnt last long for obvious reasons. Bolland will likely be back this week so they can be reunited.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Time to start leaning on Gleason-Rielly for all the 2nd pair minutes, and cut Gards-Franson down to strict 3rd pair minutes. Maybe even replace Franson with Rielly on the top PP unit.

Rielly has already passed Gardiner, btw.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Time to start leaning on Gleason-Rielly for all the 2nd pair minutes, and cut Gards-Franson down to strict 3rd pair minutes. Maybe even replace Franson with Rielly on the top PP unit.

Rielly has already passed Gardiner, btw.

I agree.

Issue is we cant depend on Rielly too much. You see him make mistakes when he is trying to force the play too much. Defensively though you can see the improvement. Not where Id like it to be for a guy in the top 4, but the sad thing is id take him in our own end over both Cody and Jake.

IMO Franson is just a liability. Gardiner has the ability to be a good two-way defenseman, I dont think Franson does. We need someone to replace Franson and calm Gardier down.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad