Roster Building XIX - Did we blow the deadline? Need to ask the magic 8-ball

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Gustav Forsling? I guess he never technically even made the NHL with Carolina.
I’ll never get over them putting Forsling on waivers vs Fleury that year , especially when Forsling outplayed Fleury in preseason.

That CDH trade, viewed by most Canes’ fans as horrible at the time, with Chicago really could have been a win if the Canes had gotten any value out of Forsling or Forsberg.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think we'll see a few more of our prospects either getting released or traded. Pashin feels like a clearing of a contract. We're at 43 out of 50 contracts currently. Now that's going to change after the post-season, but now is the time to cull the Pashin's in our prospect pool.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Well, keep in mind what “making it” meant under the past regime vs. the current one. In the past regime you had 1-2 slots every year just red carpeted and ready for whatever AHL guys had the best camp to come in and take. Suzuki, Rees, etc. all would’ve played games over the last several seasons under the past regime.

Under new management, the roster is stacked going into every training camp, and you’ve gotta prove you’re truly an NHL player to break into those spots.

So, by definition, the guys that do that are going to be a) fewer and b) better. And guys that are better are typically guys you’re less likely to give up on.
Fair but after the transition to the new regime we still had plenty of players the old regime acquired who did "make it" in a much more competitive environment here under the new regime, and then we let them go. I mean is Drury necessarily much better than some of the other guys we've had here and let go like Foegele? I love me some Drury and am excited to see him continue to develop and contribute here as we'll probably keep him but on the surface I don't see him as being any better right now than McLovin when he left. One notable difference is the regimes who acquired the players though.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Fair but after the transition to the new regime we still had plenty of players the old regime acquired who did "make it" in a much more competitive environment here under the new regime, and then we let them go. I mean is Drury necessarily much better than some of the other guys we've had here and let go like Foegele? I love me some Drury and am excited to see him continue to develop and contribute here as we'll probably keep him but on the surface I don't see him as being any better right now than McLovin when he left. One notable difference is the regimes who acquired the players though.
Don't you think $$$$$ matter for lower parts of the roster. Foegele & McLovin became too pricey whereas Drury is still inexpensive.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad