Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVIII:

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Haven't studied shown that quality of teammates is a far bigger driving factor than quality of opposition?

I'd say staal has pulled down DeAngelo a ton more than him getting favorable matchups has helped him.

Tough to say for sure tho.
Maybe?

Not sure that I buy that let's say if you paired DeAngelo with Lindgren and then had that duo take on Trouba's usage, that DeAngelo's defensive numbers would be come better.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
The simplest solution is not necessarily the most easiest one. I do not know many defenseman that play the off side
The thing is it’s something that can be tried with little to no risk. Look at their games, talk to the players about the possibility, and and make a logical deduction about who might be best on their offside. Try it a few games, maybe look for a run against relatively soft opponents if possible. Better yet, try it in preseason where there any zero stakes. If it doesn’t work, ok now you know for sure and can look into making trades, which are both irreversible and risky.

I don’t have the time to look much into it right now but generally there’s not a near perfect balance of righties and lefties in the league, so there must be handfuls of guys playing their offsides.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Maybe?

Not sure that I buy that let's say if you paired DeAngelo with Lindgren and then had that duo take on Trouba's usage, that DeAngelo's defensive numbers would be come better.
It depends on..who the forwards are, how lindgren plays, and how DeAngelo adjusts to lindgrens game.

Honestly the rangers too d pair is fox lindgren...I wouldn't break em up. What I would do is give them the hard minutes and let trouba and DeAngelo get the mid range minutes.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I don't see much good from forcing DeAngelo to try and take tough matchups and minutes

He stinks defensively, plain and simple. But I'm not expecting him to be some defensive stalwart out there. As long as he puts up offense I could care less

If getting away from Staal can make DeAngelo even average on defense, it's a huge win

Mikachu93

Formerly MacTruck
Aug 1, 2010
NY
How much would it cost to acquire Hampus Lindholm this offseason? I think there is a chance Anaheim moves him and he would be a great partner and anchor for Trouba on the first pair.

NHL 20 arm-chair GM time, assuming we were able to acquire Lindholm for futures and buyout Smith.

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Panarin Strome Kakko
Kravtsov Chytil Gauthier
DiGiueseppe Howden Barron/UFA Vet (Boyle?)

Lindholm Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Staal DeAngelo
UFA Vet

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I don't see much good from forcing DeAngelo to try and take tough matchups and minutes

He stinks defensively, plain and simple. But I'm not expecting him to be some defensive stalwart out there. As long as he puts up offense I could care less

If getting away from Staal can make DeAngelo even average on defense, it's a huge win

Does he? Or has he been massively dragged down by one of the worst players in the league?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
We don't need great defensive players. If we think Shesterkin is this elite goaltender we should be playing a very offensive run and gun style strategy where we trade chances back and forth expecting Shesterkin to do a much better job of stopping them than the opposition. This is what we should have done during prime Lundqvist as well. Why are you paying a goalie big money (Lundqvist) if you're going to play a defensive game and do everything to support him (Torts)? It defeats the purpose of having that goalie in the first place if you're going all out to limit chances against him.

Reactions: egelband

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
The thing is it’s something that can be tried with little to no risk. Look at their games, talk to the players about the possibility, and and make a logical deduction about who might be best on their offside. Try it a few games, maybe look for a run against relatively soft opponents if possible. Better yet, try it in preseason where there any zero stakes. If it doesn’t work, ok now you know for sure and can look into making trades, which are both irreversible and risky.

I don’t have the time to look much into it right now but generally there’s not a near perfect balance of righties and lefties in the league, so there must be handfuls of guys playing their offsides.
Sure you can try it, but what I am saying is that you go into it with eyes wide open believing that it is not the long term plan.

And while there are certainly not a perfect balance, my bet is that there is a very little minority that is playing that way.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
It depends on..who the forwards are, how lindgren plays, and how DeAngelo adjusts to lindgrens game.

Honestly the rangers too d pair is fox lindgren...I wouldn't break em up. What I would do is give them the hard minutes and let trouba and DeAngelo get the mid range minutes.
While they were certainly getting more ice time and tougher matchups that ever before, I still believe that Trouba is their best defensive defenseman and would get the tougher minutes. I also believe that that his game dramatically will go up with a better partner

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
He's 20 years old as well. So projecting forward to 23-24 we should assume some improvement
Or not. Again, Tim Erixon.

Look, I believe that he is a very good prospect. And yes, I believe that he will eventually make the NHL and be a solid performer (whether it's with the Rangers is a different discussion), but I am certainly not banking on it nor would I begin to make any plans for the future whatsoever with the belief that he is a bona fide NHL player.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
We don't need great defensive players. If we think Shesterkin is this elite goaltender we should be playing a very offensive run and gun style strategy where we trade chances back and forth expecting Shesterkin to do a much better job of stopping them than the opposition. This is what we should have done during prime Lundqvist as well. Why are you paying a goalie big money (Lundqvist) if you're going to play a defensive game and do everything to support him (Torts)? It defeats the purpose of having that goalie in the first place if you're going all out to limit chances against him.
but what if youre a really bad coach

brians1128

Nov 1, 2016
How much would it cost to acquire Hampus Lindholm this offseason? I think there is a chance Anaheim moves him and he would be a great partner and anchor for Trouba on the first pair.

NHL 20 arm-chair GM time, assuming we were able to acquire Lindholm for futures and buyout Smith.

Panarin Strome Kakko
Kravtsov Chytil Gauthier

Lindholm Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Staal DeAngelo
UFA Vet

what about expansion draft? It works if you get him after the draft in his last year

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
NHL 20 arm-chair GM time, assuming we were able to acquire Lindholm for futures and buyout Smith

i don't think the Ducks move him
but really key to consider, as noted above,
adding him to Trouba, ADA, Lindgren ahead of Expansion draft just means you very likely lose a more important player than otherwise....

it does not seem worthwhile to me to both
(A) pay the cost of Lindholm,
and then (B) lose Lindgren or ADA to Seattle ...

Reactions: Nickmo82

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
At this point I don’t think the Rangers need to make any big trades. Maybe a role player or two. Maybe a salary dump if the opportunity presents itself.
But I’d say the main pieces are in place for the next couple seasons.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Premier League is discussing finishing the season in China according to the Athletic...

I wonder if the NBA would consider the same thing?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Not all the cap is tied down. And a team friendly deal means different things to different people. The kid at 24 has just produced the best offensive season by a Rangers defense man in 25 years. Let that sink in for a bit. And has just run the best power play in probably the same time frame. Let that also sink in for a bit.

With Panarin and Zibanajad. We haven't had those type players on the pp in years either. It's always amusing to me that everyone ties Stromes point totals to Panarin but dont do the same with Tony. This is his best year by a landslide. I like him but I dont 7 mill like him, Fox in his first season is what 10 points behind and playing on pp2. Our offense has been dynamic, everyone has had a big year, it's no coincidence that it happened when Panarin arrived. If the deal is not super long and cap friendly I'd love to have him but if it's in the 7 range we can add to a position of need and use Fox on the top pp,and I feel we are better for it as long as the trade gets us a top 6 forward or a top pair left dman

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Unless something falls into their lap or the unlikely event DeAngelo is moved, there will not be a defenseman brought in that will require expansion draft protection. It’s Trouba, Lindgren and ADA.

The Rangers could sign a veteran defenseman (perhaps Brendan Dillon, Marco Scandella, Joel Edmunson) to a 2-3 year contract and then expose him in the expansion draft. That kills a couple of birds — expansion draft veteran and someone to plug the hole until the kids are ready.

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Unless something falls into their lap or the unlikely event DeAngelo is moved, there will not be a defenseman brought in that will require expansion draft protection. It’s Trouba, Lindgren and ADA.

The Rangers could sign a veteran defenseman (perhaps Brendan Dillon, Marco Scandella, Joel Edmunson) to a 2-3 year contract and then expose him in the expansion draft. That kills a couple of birds — expansion draft veteran and someone to plug the hole until the kids are ready.

The more I have thought about who to protect, the more I believe Rangers could go 4+4. Kreider, Zibanejad, Panarin and Chytil for forwards. If a very good LD is available, you dont stay away because you want to protect 3 of Strome, Buch, Gauthier, Lemeuix, Howden etc. You will only loose one of them if they are all unprotected.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY

Panarin Strome Kakko
Kravtsov Chytil Gauthier

Lindholm Trouba
Lindgren Fox
Staal DeAngelo
UFA Vet

Too much, then we'd lose Lindgren in the expansion draft on top of it. Trouba, ADA, and Lindholm would have to be the 3 you protect with Fox exempt. Of course, you could trade Lindgren as part of the return to ANA, but how much better does that make your team while losing a cheap player for a pricey one in addition to sending multiple other assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad