Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVII: It's the Final Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Seems crazy that this would be a possibility, but remembering that Buch talks with Edmonton for the 8th overall went down to the buzzer, and he never put up anywhere close to 60 points...

... if you could get a top 10 pick for Strome that would be amazing.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
One of the benefits of a two year contract would be the ability to expose Strome in the expansion draft. If he is worth protecting in a year, fine. If not, he could be traded at the deadline next year. No one is give him a long term extension.
There are cheaper ways to get players to fulfill the exposure requirements

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
The organization knew the night before the deadline about Igor’s injury. It was unrealistic of the front office to believe that Georgiev and Lundqvist combination could match Shesterkin’s level of play.
It might have been to late to trade Kreider (there maybe have been an offer on the table that they believed would be unprofessional to withdraw) and maybe going forward they wanted to keep the tandem of Shesterkin/ Georgiev together for a few years but there is no excuse for keeping Fast or Strome.
I am sure there were offers available especially after Tampa Bay giving away their first for Goodrow.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
Again where do they attach their timeline? Do they have one?

I don't know myself where I'd go with this at this point if it were me. I know what I would have done at the deadline. Yet now that they made those choices, it kind of leaves them with even tougher choices.

Reactions: Clark Kellogg

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
The organization knew the night before the deadline about Igor’s injury. It was unrealistic of the front office to believe that Georgiev and Lundqvist combination could match Shesterkin’s level of play.
It might have been to late to trade Kreider (there maybe have been an offer on the table that they believed would be unprofessional to withdraw) and maybe going forward they wanted to keep the tandem of Shesterkin/ Georgiev together for a few years but there is no excuse for keeping Fast or Strome.
I am sure there were offers available especially after Tampa Bay giving away their first for Goodrow.

Honestly, keeping Fast surprised the heck out of me.

Strome, I could see why they decided to keep him.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Strome's requests are unreasonable regarding term, just have him go to arbitration and work out a short term arbitrated contract. It's a zero risk move. There's no one that we could get to UFA even close to as useful as Strome for 1-2 years at 4-5 million.

I realize he's a polarizing figure around here, but 2 years is a slam dunk. Worst case scenario he becomes our 3C and plays a utility role while Chytil takes over the top 6. Strome's 2 year deal expires the same time that we'll have to give Zibanejad a raise.

As for picks and prospects- I'm all for "Maintaining" a good team over time by getting picks, but Strome is 26. He doesn't need to be taken out to the metaphorical shed and shot yet.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Strome last year when he got here produced at a similar clip that he had in his career. There was no extra boost in his numbers that were showing some progression in his career. Sure coming here last year got him back on track. But it was not something out if his normal capability.

But this year...this year he has road the coattails of Panarin all season long. He f***ing stinks. He is lazy shit who takes the most consequential penalties, the most frustrating stick penalties. And he takes these penalties all over the damn ice. Offensive zone, neutral zone, defensive zone. And he is soft as charmin to boot.

Move on from him. You think you cant find someone else to produce at the rate he has with Panarin? Get real.

Reactions: Inferno

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Also- Kreider takes more minor penalties than Strome, and I didn't even see that mentioned in conversations about his usefulness.

Reactions: pld459666

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Move on from him. You think you cant find someone else to produce at the rate he has with Panarin? Get real.

If we could, we would have done it by now.

Is it just some random coincidence that Panarin is having the best year of his career at age 28? That he's doing better with Strome and Fast than he did with Patrick Kane? Chemistry is a genuine thing.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
If we could, we would have done it by now.

Is it just some random coincidence that Panarin is having the best year of his career at age 28? That he's doing better with Strome and Fast than he did with Patrick Kane? Chemistry is a genuine thing.
Lol. Now Ive heard it all. Strome unlocked Panarin's next gear!!

Reactions: RGY

Clark Kellogg

NYU Film Student
Aug 2, 2013
Vermont, USA
Strome can have two years. Buy out a year of UFA. See how it goes. If he’s not hacking it, that would be a trade-able contract. 2 years @ $4.5m.
This is not a bad idea as long as there is no NMC, NTC or Limited NTC attached. He is only 26 and if he matches or exceeds his play he will help the team in their effort to achieve a winning atmosphere and also the organization would still have the luxury of getting back assets for him for two deadlines.

Reactions: egelband

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Also- Kreider takes more minor penalties than Strome, and I didn't even see that mentioned in conversations about his usefulness.
I think a big issue is that Strome’s penalties are often stick infractions which are usually lazy and needless penalties so they stick in our minds.

Plus Kreider draws his fair share of penalties. I believe Strome has one of the worst penalty differentials in the league among forwards. He takes a lot and doesn’t draw a lot.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
It's not just that Strome takes penalties, it's that he takes more than normal, and does so while not drawing any. He's taken 16 minors this year at 5v5 (the league-leader has 19) and has only drawn 3. Kreider has taken 8 minors this year and has drawn 11. We've spent over half a game on the PK this season just because of one player lol. This guy is Zibanejad's age was just benched for an entire 3rd period in a must-win game.

Here are his stats from last year and this year...

upload_2020-3-1_23-25-41.png

upload_2020-3-1_23-26-16.png

Last edited:

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
Lol. Now Ive heard it all. Strome unlocked Panarin's next gear!!

While I don't think anyone is saying that Panarin's season is down to Strome (although stranger things have been typed on this forum), Strome is likely going to eclipse the points totals of everyone who has played major minutes with Panarin not named Patrick Kane.

Strome is already 15 points higher than Anisomov's best season playing with Panarin and Kane. He's 3 points away from passing Dubios' totals and 10 from Atkinson's, and they are both much better players.
Panarin improves Strome (considerably) without a doubt, but is it not possible that Strome happens to play a type of game that lends some benefit to Panarin? And if so, even to small degree, maybe we should at least entertain the idea of keeping them together for longer than this season to see whether they do keep bringing out the best in each other (obviously depending on Strome's contract demands)

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Strome last year when he got here produced at a similar clip that he had in his career. There was no extra boost in his numbers that were showing some progression in his career. Sure coming here last year got him back on track. But it was not something out if his normal capability.

But this year...this year he has road the coattails of Panarin all season long. He f***ing stinks. He is lazy shit who takes the most consequential penalties, the most frustrating stick penalties. And he takes these penalties all over the damn ice. Offensive zone, neutral zone, defensive zone. And he is soft as charmin to boot.

That's false...even to start the year he wasnt playing with Panarin until Mika got hurt, he was around a point a game then too. He is benefitting but so is Panarin. They work well together and it gives us the ability to not play Mika and him together all the time. Until a better option comes along he should stay.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
While I don't think anyone is saying that Panarin's season is down to Strome (although stranger things have been typed on this forum), Strome is likely going to eclipse the points totals of everyone who has played major minutes with Panarin not named Patrick Kane.

Strome is already 15 points higher than Anisomov's best season playing with Panarin and Kane. He's 3 points away from passing Dubios' totals and 10 from Atkinson's, and they are both much better players.
Panarin improves Strome (considerably) without a doubt, but is it not possible that Strome happens to play a type of game that lends some benefit to Panarin? And if so, even to small degree, maybe we should at least entertain the idea of keeping them together for longer than this season to see whether they do keep bringing out the best in each other (obviously depending on Strome's contract demands)

Not to mention Fast is on the other wing. Love the kid but he isnt helping find the net.

Reactions: Nickmo82

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods
lol - thread title should really entice some positive energy.
A lot of the time when a negative thread is made it gets results. Remember the “this is a bad hockey team” title? It worked wonders. Sometimes I feel if thousands of people are putting out the same energy and feelings it sometime gets positive results. We’re all superstitious so it’s sorta like that.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
There are cheaper ways to get players to fulfill the exposure requirements
I have no doubt Gorton will move Strome under the right circumstances. I just don't think the league will view him as an emerging star, especially given his contract status and the potential return will be light.

Things will change a lot over the next few months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad