Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXVII: It's the Final Countdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So...he did burn a year ? If so...the Bruin fan that told me that then was wrong . Anyone ? Thanks AK.

Signed April 2017, McAvoy was born in 1997, so it was the calendar year of his 20th birthday, which means there is no ELC slide

He played 6 play off games, which was enough for the 1st year of his ELC to count, but not enough to accrue a pro season.

You can only offer sheet RFAs who have accrued 3 pro seasons if they are aged 21 (Other examples last year were Boeser and White).

Now, what McAvoy did in negotiations was absolutely genius. He signed a 3-year, backloaded deal with only base salary in year 3, making his QO in 2022 at age 25, a whopping $7,3m. Boston can give him a QO, or he walks and is UFA at age 25.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I think what @Oscar Lindberg is saying is that he’s eligible for a 3 year ELC now and a 2 year one over the summer.
That’s right

Although looking at it now, I may be wrong. He doesn’t turn 22 until October.

I’m not 100% on how that works if he were to sign in the summer because while technically he’d be 21, he would turn 22 during that contract year

@Amazing Kreiderman would you know if that’s the case?

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Oh, god, no one said that education is not important. However,

1. We are talking about someone to whom formal learning does not seem to come naturally (we are not talking cum laude valedictorian here)
2. A very good opportunity to make a $1m in a short-term and with more to come after, while just potentially delaying getting a degree instead of passing on it
3. Other opportunities that come from entering NHL fraternity, that are much more financially lucrative "foot in the door" than Wisconsin liberal arts degree (no offense), lol

P.S. If anyone should be called ignorant of the real world in this situation it would be you.
Oh would you look at that, youre again opposing me. Not surprising here. You didnt like my push back in our previous disagreement and I see you are continuing onward here with this subject. Take your shots over the internet message board, hope it fulfills your day.

To the subject at hand, as others have pointed out, you are making the same mistake assuming he makes even a $1 million. Meaning he would play all 3 years of his ELC at the NHL level. That right there brings ignorance. You then think its perfectly ok to take the risk with the ASSUMPTION and HOPE he could make millions. You say hey no big deal this will only “delay” his degree. If you maybe read the whole discussion from start to finish, at least from my end, is that it almost plays to your first point...formal learning does not come naturally. He is taking online classes. I said he should continue to do so over the next 1.5-2 year rather than take a break. Because imo if he takes a break this kid may be even less willing to go back and finish after his hypothetical NHL career came to an end.

Furthermore, lets then ASSUME that he doesnt want to finish his degree because he distanced himself from schooling, he has $1 million (potentially), to get by with for a few years while he finds a trade or industry that does not require a college degree.

But since you brought up these wonderful opportunities of the NHL “fraternity”, why dont you list them. This must be easy for you to do if they are so plentiful and the occurrence that former NHLers land jobs within this “fraternity” so often. And not just any NHLers like Brad Richards, but how about young kids who maybe shuffled around a bit for 3-6 years and never made a name for themselves within the NHL. Because you just saying that without providing examples is really just conjecture.

My argument from the beginning is to finish his education while playing. My opinion*, is it would be the wise thing to do. Not everyone is Mike Richter who will be extremely motivated to go back to school after their career ends, and at Yale especially. And this is a guy who could have been afforded really any position within the NHL “fraternity”

Reactions: leetch99

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
That’s right

I’m not 100% on how that works if he were to sign in the summer because while technically he’d be 21, he would turn 22 during that contract year

normally the league bases age off of the players age on 12/31 of that year...so if he turns 22 in October, than he is considered 22 from Jan 1st of this year forward. at least thats how it works for WJC eligibility, contract sliding etc (I believe)

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
normally the league bases age off of the players age on 12/31 of that year...so if he turns 22 in October, than he is considered 22 from Jan 1st of this year forward. at least thats how it works for WJC eligibility, contract sliding etc (I believe)
That’s what I thought but I wasn’t 100%

If that’s the case with how they view his age then it doesn’t matter if he signs now or in the summer. He just gets the added benefit of a signing bonus

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

That’s right

From looking at the CBA, it's going to be a 3 year ELC no matter when he signs it.

(Article 9 is about Entry Level Compensation)
9.2 Age of Players. As used in this Article, "age," including "First SPC Signing Age," means a Player's age on September 15 of the calendar year in which he signs an SPC, regardless of his actual age on the date he signs such SPC

Khodorenko will still be 21 on September 15, so he's eligible for the 3-year ELC whether it kicks in now or July 1st.

I still wouldn't be surprised if they burned the year.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Khodorenko will still be 21 on September 15, so he's eligible for the 3-year ELC whether it kicks in now or July 1st.

That’s for the clarification

I agree though, they’ll probably burn a year regardless. That’s usually one of the bigger selling points with these college FA’s

Not the end of the world by any means

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
So with the Guiattari and Khodorenko signings we have 48 contracts signed.

2 slots remaining for Miller and Barron?

Or do some of these slide? Does Khodorenko’s slide?

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
From looking at the CBA, it's going to be a 3 year ELC no matter when he signs it.

(Article 9 is about Entry Level Compensation)

ok so Sept 15th cutoff like the draft not 12/31

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Oh would you look at that, youre again opposing me. Not surprising here. You didnt like my push back in our previous disagreement and I see you are continuing onward here with this subject. Take your shots over the internet message board, hope it fulfills your day.

To the subject at hand, as others have pointed out, you are making the same mistake assuming he makes even a $1 million. Meaning he would play all 3 years of his ELC at the NHL level. That right there brings ignorance. You then think its perfectly ok to take the risk with the ASSUMPTION and HOPE he could make millions. You say hey no big deal this will only “delay” his degree. If you maybe read the whole discussion from start to finish, at least from my end, is that it almost plays to your first point...formal learning does not come naturally. He is taking online classes. I said he should continue to do so over the next 1.5-2 year rather than take a break. Because imo if he takes a break this kid may be even less willing to go back and finish after his hypothetical NHL career came to an end.

Furthermore, lets then ASSUME that he doesnt want to finish his degree because he distanced himself from schooling, he has $1 million (potentially), to get by with for a few years while he finds a trade or industry that does not require a college degree.

But since you brought up these wonderful opportunities of the NHL “fraternity”, why dont you list them. This must be easy for you to do if they are so plentiful and the occurrence that former NHLers land jobs within this “fraternity” so often. And not just any NHLers like Brad Richards, but how about young kids who maybe shuffled around a bit for 3-6 years and never made a name for themselves within the NHL. Because you just saying that without providing examples is really just conjecture.

My argument from the beginning is to finish his education while playing. My opinion*, is it would be the wise thing to do. Not everyone is Mike Richter who will be extremely motivated to go back to school after their career ends, and at Yale especially. And this is a guy who could have been afforded really any position within the NHL “fraternity”

What irked me was you calling a poster with a valid opinion "ignorant" (a couple of times) before you went on your little rant. Everything else is your typical nonsense that I don't care to address any further than I already did.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
That’s right

upload_2020-3-9_21-27-4.png

Signing age is what matters here

Reactions: egelband

haohmaru

boomshakalaka
Aug 26, 2009
Fleming Island, Fl
Honestly, speculating/advising what somebody you don't know should do with the next year or the rest of their lives is like firing at a dart board at night in a room with no lights. Miller, or whoever, will make whatever decision(s) they feel are best for them and not to suit someone else's narrative. Everybody travels down these roads differently and the wrong path for you might be the right path for them.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
FWIW: This was 3 years ago

He was 4th in points on a very mediocre Spartans team, while only being 18 years old. I certainly see the upside with the way he plays. He deserves more minutes but some of those guys on his team seem to have been there forever. Haag, Stenglein, Ebbing, Cox. At least the latter two have moved on and Khodorenko should get some better minutes next season.

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad