Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXV: Calm Before the Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ardi44

Jan 31, 2011
I could see Arizona being interested in paying nicely to swap Fast with Grabner. Get a big upgrade and get out of Grabner's contract for next year. They really need some cap flexibility.
frankly, so do we. only way grabner makes any sense whatsoever is if we get out from smiths /staal's contract in addition to Fast

Reactions: RGY

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
frankly, so do we. only way grabner makes any sense whatsoever is if we get out from smiths /staal's contract in addition to Fast

Wasn't necessarily vouching for it from our side. Just spitballing some stuff as we wait for real news to come out.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Is Bracco still not playing for Toronto's AHL club?

I didn't think he'd be a good Georgiev return but I'm still intrigued to see if he can play at the NHL level. There's an opening here at RW is Fast is moved.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Arizona has no use for Grabner.

We have no use for Smith.

If they can find use for Smith then theres a deal there. If not then we cant afford to give up anything of value. If AZ was willing to retain 50%, which I doubt because I dont think they are that desperate to move him, then maybe we could see what they would want in return for doing that. Any more than a 4th or 5th round pick even with the 50% retained is too much.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Timashov probably doesn't make it past Detroit.

And if he does, Ottawa won't be far behind with their claim. Lots of teams will be in on him with claims.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
While I agree, to be fair couldn’t you have said the same thing about Grabner before he came to the Rangers?

It was a different situation for us at that time. I wouldn't be against it if it results in a net reduction in our cap commitment (ie. Smith for Grabner), but otherwise, no thanks.

interesting. I hadn’t heard about an eye injury. In the same vein as Marc Staal?

the way it appears is that gorton has to be conscious of every dollar. One million saved. Personally, I’d rather not buy out any more players. How much would grabners cap be in the minors?

Moving him to the minors reduces his cap hit by 1.075 mil this year. I assume it will be the same for next year, but I haven't looked. If the league minimum goes up for next year, then the cap reduction will go up, but it wouldn't be more than at 25k difference.

Reactions: Salvage21

gump116

Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
New York
Continuing the conversation in the last thread, I doubt Buffalo would trade Eichel unless he demands a trade. If he did, I don’t think we’d get him without trading Kakko. He’s easily a top 10 player both in terms of play and value at 23. Guys like that don’t get traded. Would have to be something crazy like Kakko, ADA, Chytil and a 1st and honestly that might be worth it. An offense with Eichel, Panarin, and Zibanejad as the anchors can win the cup with a mediocre supporting cast and we’d be better than that with Buchnevich, Kravtsov etc

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Is Bracco still not playing for Toronto's AHL club?

I didn't think he'd be a good Georgiev return but I'm still intrigued to see if he can play at the NHL level. There's an opening here at RW is Fast is moved.

pretty sure that Fast's spot will go to Kakko...if a spot remains for bracco that means that kravtsov never makes it, gauthier is never better than a 4th liner. bracco is their letteri

Reactions: jas and Lone Ranger

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Moving him to the minors reduces his cap hit by 1.075 mil this year. I assume it will be the same for next year, but I haven't looked. If the league minimum goes up for next year, then the cap reduction will go up, but it wouldn't be more than at 25k difference.

Thanks! That's pretty significant. And by significant, I mean, in the hypothetical smith for grabner swap, you save a million and also keep him on the roster as fourth liner = The "fast replacement". Or ship him to the minors which clears room for a entry level player to play the bottom six. win win win. Or something like that.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I agree with which ever poster suggested it would be a grabner for smith swap. Save 1 million in cap space. Same amount of years. Trim as much cap off as you can.

Yea save the space with that swap

Grabner still fast but may have blurred vision from his last injury ?

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
We are 26 hours from the deadline and I hear crickets. Kreider got to know if they aren’t close to a contract then he will be dealt.
I joined this board all those years ago for trade updates and prospect info.
What’s the scuttlebutt right now!”?

Salvage21

Jan 11, 2009
The Poconos, PA
Yea save the space with that swap

Grabner still fast but may have blurred vision from his last injury ?

Yeah, that's been brought up a couple of times. It's certainly news to me. I haven't been able to follow the NHL as closely since I switched my work schedule to the sunrise shift. Now I'm in bed by 7pm!:laugh:

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Brooks made a great point today, if the Rangers and Kreider can’t agree on a contract, they have no choice but to trade him. As much as it will hurt.

And it will hurt. To my eyes, Kreider is the de facto captain of the team. With the impending departures of Henrik, Staal and the possible losses of Strome and Fast in the next year or two, that doesn’t leave a lot of adults in the room. Young teams need leadership. Mika can’t do it himself.

I continue to hope, as I have all year, that the Rangers find a way to sign Kreider. The opportunity cost of not signing him is massive.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Arizona has no use for Grabner.

We have no use for Smith.

If they can find use for Smith then theres a deal there. If not then we cant afford to give up anything of value. If AZ was willing to retain 50%, which I doubt because I dont think they are that desperate to move him, then maybe we could see what they would want in return for doing that. Any more than a 4th or 5th round pick even with the 50% retained is too much.

I would actually like us to package Smith with prospects/picks just to get rid of his salary for next year. Say Smith and Gettinger or Smith and a 3rd for some garbage prospect who is not going to effect any more than our 50 contract limit. For instance Smith back to Detroit can still play at the NHL level (better at defense than forward though) for them and Gettinger might actually be able to give them 4th line minutes next year.....and they have the cap space.

Reactions: egelband

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Brooks made a great point today, if the Rangers and Kreider can’t agree on a contract, they have no choice but to trade him. As much as it will hurt.

And it will hurt. To my eyes, Kreider is the de facto captain of the team. With the impending departures of Henrik, Staal and the possible losses of Strome and Fast in the next year or two, that doesn’t leave a lot of adults in the room. Young teams need leadership. Mika can’t do it himself.

I continue to hope, as I have all year, that the Rangers find a way to sign Kreider. The opportunity cost of not signing him is massive.

I posted this in the last thread, but what if that number has to be 7 years at $7MM per? Or more? A few years down the line that is likely going to make things more difficult to re-sign the Fox's, Chytil's and Kakko's of the world. Also may not allow them to add that final piece to the puzzle. That's the other type of opportunity cost one has to think about in this situation.

Its difficult but if Kreider feels he worth that 7th year and/or the higher salary there is nothing Gorton can do.

Trading ADA is not the solution to offset re-signing Kreider to a larger contract.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens

At some point the kids become the adults too. That also isn’t allowing for any trades the Rangers might make to bring it young vets.

Reactions: mschmidt64
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad