Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Man oh man dude... yea im reaching because I didnt spell it out for you that the $22 million coming off the books next season plus 2 cap increases, this year and next, would be applied toward Fox, DeAngelo, Mika, and apparently Kakko who is scoring 70 points in the next 2 seasons.

Talk about basing things off assumptions and reaching hard...
Yea a 2nd overall pick scoring 60 points his 3rd NHL season is such a reach.

Keep using Lias, Howden, and Lindgren as your examples of why we have nothing to worry about with 2nd contracts and put down the NHL 2020, this isn't a video game :laugh:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I know we aren't likely to help out Carolina right now, but man they sure look like they could be ripe for the picking on a Georgiev deal.
I’d rather them have Georgiev than Lehner. If the price is worth it, I’m still in.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I didn’t realize Chicago has no long term goaltending plan

I still think Sorokin ends up there, but if Lou pulls the plug on that, Georgiev would be an obvious fit for them

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Yea a 2nd overall pick scoring 60 points his 3rd NHL season is such a reach.

Keep using Lias, Howden, and Lindgren as your examples of why we have nothing to worry about with 2nd contracts and put down the NHL 2020, this isn't a video game :laugh:
Youre right this isnt a video game. Kakko has a lot of work to do to get to 60 points. His skating at the NHL level needs work. His defensive play which is atrocious needs a ton of work to get the ice time to get to 60 points in the next 2 seasons.

Best you had to come back with in response was centered around Kakko.... laughable.

You’ll go to every length possible to come up with reasons why they shouldn’t sign Kreider. Its laughable. Wait how many times did we scratch him this past week? By my count you had him scratched for 4 games.

Too funny.

Reactions: Tossed Medal

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Headlines: Tyson Barrie a storyline to watch as deadline approaches - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman is discussing how Calgary are willing to bring up big names in trade discussions. I mentioned it yesterday, of course anything big always is unlikely to happen, but they are a team to watch.

I wouldn't say that something is brewing under the surface, but they are team that should be peaking but they are on the outside looking in. I think a legit, maybe not outspoken, question is -- to what extent are their US core players really committed to Calgary? Friedman referred to it in the 31 podcast before the deadline. In relation to Calgary, he remarked that a team like that ultimately has the drive and identity of its core players, and kind of asked what Calgary had there?

Wouldn't rule out that one or both of Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk are on the move the coming years.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
I’d rather them have Georgiev than Lehner. If the price is worth it, I’m still in.

Same here, I just have to imagine that Gorton's demands for Georgiev is going to be too high for Carolina. 2nd rounder and a B prospect isn't going to do it for him when they are one of the teams we are trying to chase down.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I didn’t realize Chicago has no long term goaltending plan

I still think Sorokin ends up there, but if Lou pulls the plug on that, Georgiev would be an obvious fit for them

Lehner want a big pay-day, reportedly they would love to keep him on a team friendly deal. People are giving Lehner props for his status and how he behaves for the team. At the same time, teams aren't willing to commit to him. Hard to tell if its just money or some uncertainty under the surface.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Headlines: Tyson Barrie a storyline to watch as deadline approaches - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman is discussing how Calgary are willing to bring up big names in trade discussions. I mentioned it yesterday, of course anything big always is unlikely to happen, but they are a team to watch.

I wouldn't say that something is brewing under the surface, but they are team that should be peaking but they are on the outside looking in. I think a legit, maybe not outspoken, question is -- to what extent are their US core players really committed to Calgary? Friedman referred to it in the 31 podcast before the deadline. In relation to Calgary, he said that a team like that ultimately has the drive and identity of its core players, and kind of asked what Calgary had there?

Wouldn't rule out that one or both of Johnny Hockey and Tkachuk are on the move the coming years.

That's the player that Gorton would almost certainly target.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
It's interesting, because we've been talking for years about how at a certain part of the rebuild, Gorton will start moving some of our collected youth for a concentrated return in the form of a star player, like we did with Rick Nash, but we haven't tossed around many of those types of rumors here yet. It's early, but worth considering.

Guys like Nylander and Tkachuk certainly fit that mold.

And Viper- people talk about that a lot but I have yet to see one legitimate rumor suggesting it.

Reactions: Cawlidge Hawkey

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
Matthew Tkachuk is definitely someone I'd pony up assets for. Not sure what type of return the Flames would be looking for. ADA for Tkachuk if they need D? Small add on either side to balance out?

Same with Eichel. That would be ADA+++

Reactions: mschmidt64 and RGY

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's interesting, because we've been talking for years about how at a certain part of the rebuild, Gorton will start moving some of our collected youth for a concentrated return in the form of a star player, like we did with Rick Nash, but we haven't tossed around many of those types of rumors here yet. It's early, but worth considering.

Guys like Nylander and Tkachuk certainly fit that mold.

And Viper- people talk about that a lot but I have yet to see one legitimate rumor suggesting it.

I believe it was towards the end of last year that there were rumors Eichel was unhappy in Buffalo. Those were squashed after a while but after yet another wasted year where Eichel is easily one of the best players in the league I’m sure they will rekindle.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

I wouldn't say that something is brewing under the surface, but they are team that should be peaking but they are on the outside looking in. I think a legit, maybe not outspoken, question is -- to what extent are their US core players really committed to Calgary? Friedman referred to it in the 31 podcast before the deadline. In relation to Calgary, he remarked that a team like that ultimately has the drive and identity of its core players, and kind of asked what Calgary had there?

I would give up a decent chunk to get Matt Tkachuk here.

Skjei, Buchnevich, +

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Man oh man dude... yea im reaching because I didnt spell it out for you that the $22 million coming off the books next season plus 2 cap increases, this year and next, would be applied toward Fox, DeAngelo, Mika, and apparently Kakko who is scoring 70 points in the next 2 seasons.

Talk about basing things off assumptions and reaching hard...

I worry a lot about the cap.

The cap is 80m, if it goes up the ask from the players will go up. There is only so much money to go around.

Lets say that we can get 2 goalies and a 4th line for 15m per. That leaves 65m for the top 15 skaters. 4.3m on average.

Trouba and Panarin takes 20m of those 65m. 45m left for the remaining 13 top 15 skaters. 3.4m on average. If we have FOUR (say a combo of Ziba, Kreider, Buch, Kakko, TDA, Fox, Chytil and the likes) making 28m combined (seems really cheap to me, but just for example), it just leaves 17m for the remaining 9 top 15 skaters. Remember that those 17m basically have to cover our 1 or 2 second line players, our entire 3rd line and a 3-4 D and a 3rd pairing on the D.

Competing in this league is to a huuuuuuuuggggeee extent about finding cap steals, to be able to get performance/production from really cheap players and so forth.

Claiming that Gorton's by far biggest challenge will be vis-a-vis the cap, and not for example to get more top talent through the draft, is definitely hard to argue against. Our ability on the ice will be limited by the cap to a much bigger degree than it will be limited by lack of available talent.

Reactions: NewLife

Minmonster

May 13, 2018
The only reason I think the Rangers might sign Kreider, is because they dont have anyone at all that plays like him, and thats not easy to find.
I believe it will have more to do with the assessment of the timeline. Fox, Shesty, ADA, chrytil, and lindgrin each have demonstrated their value and in some cases measurable improvement. If the Rangers believe that the issues at LD can be solved, that smith, hank and staal can be subtracted and upgraded, then Gorton may believe that the window is open and krieder is necessary because the window started earlier than anticipated
I'm still on the trade krieder and stick with the rebuild group but I never expected panarin to be this good and the team to be this competitive this soon

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Eichel is the guy I’d be looking out for. I think it’s beginning to be a “smoke and fire” situation out there with him. Rangers will have the assets to pull the trigger on something like that. Pretty sure he’d love to play for his old coach at the worlds most famous. Would solidify us in the upper echelons of center depth in the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->