Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIV: Walk the line into the ring of fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
you had mentioned a few days ago that Calgary was lurking around CK...is that still the case?”

Not Kreider. Def. PB.
Would Hanifin be on a list somehwere? I feel like he fits their high draft pick rehab MO, but I'm also worried that Flames fans talk about him like he has literally forgotten how to play hockey

Reactions: Edge

NYRKING30

Apr 29, 2011
NYC
I doubt Glass or Krebs would be available in a trade for Kreider.
Wouldn’t hurt to aim high. Maybe they can be convinced to just part with 1 very,very good prospect instead of multiple prospects/picks/players. Although I’d be happy with a traditional package as well.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Vegas has 11 forwards on their roster, so gotta imagine Glass is coming up if they aren't trading for one. Unless Tuch was coming off IR shortly.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Vegas has 11 forwards on their roster, so gotta imagine Glass is coming up if they aren't trading for one. Unless Tuch was coming off IR shortly.
They don’t play tonight but they do play tomorrow

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Would Hanifin be on a list somehwere? I feel like he fits their high draft pick rehab MO, but I'm also worried that Flames fans talk about him like he has literally forgotten how to play hockey

Crack kills.

All joking aside, and everything is of course really unlikely, BUT Calgary have always had an inpatient side and they have been involved in many surprising big deals from basically the birth of the franchise.

They are a team that kind of should be peaking but they are trending in the wrong direction. They have had a few poor effort showings lately.

Wouldn’t be shocked if they did something a bit crazy.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
You have no vision. It's not going to take 7 years. The transition period should be taking place now. The goal should be to build a championship level and not a competitive middling team. @RangerBoy

Who are we transitioning to now? 20 year old Chytil? 19 year old Kakko? ADA? Fox? The transition happens in 5ish years when the boys turn to men and the rookies become vets.

This is the 1st iteration of the 'new team'

My vision is fine and more on par with what Gorton is doing. A sustainable force. Your vision is HFantasy, orgasmic amount of prospects picks and potential..

H00fHearted

Jun 20, 2018
As teams like the Bruins settle for lesser players I keep expecting St. Louis to swoop in and grab Kreider for Kostin and a first.

Come on Blues, swoop already!

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
I have at 60 percent he goes. I have two people matching those odds. One person at 50/50.
Does Boston dropping out change your thoughts in any way? Not just if the probability of a trade but in the return?

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
We have the best offense, for as far back as I can remember...

Trading it for Jost and a 1st... doesn't sit right

Also another thing is how the KZB line would be effected? I mean they have had awesome chemistry the second they were put together a couple years ago

JC704

Jan 6, 2012
The Keeps:
DeAngelo

The "Could Go Either Way" Tier:
Kreider
Strome

The "Expendables" Tier:
Skjei
Buch
Fast
Georgiev

The "Moveable Contract" Tier:
Smith

So I've believed a major reason for the Rangers "struggles" this season has come from the fact there was little to no depth scoring. Now that we've seen Di Giuseppe enter the lineup and give a bit of jolt to the third line, while allowing Lemieux/Howden to play on the fourth line, simultaneously getting Smith and Haley out of the lineup, the balance is way better. It is no coincidence the Rangers are also playing their best stretch of hockey. For anybody who has closely watched this team, the top guys have done MORE than their fair share of the work. Our top producers are comparable from a talent perspective and actual production angle to the best players around the league.

Because of what I've seen, the Rangers "rebuild" has actually much more closely resembled a typical "retool." What you're seeing the past few weeks is a combination of previous high draft picks, young promising roster players and the infusion of Igor expedite this process. While I'm still not high on David Quinn (and think Lindy Ruff is an issue), the effort and cohesiveness the roster has shown the past few weeks, dating back to before All-Star Weekend, has been nothing short of promising. They are hitting their stride, and the 3/4 teams immediately ahead of them in the standings are all not significantly better. The Rangers could theoretically jump ahead into a wild card spot and it wouldn't necessarily be that surprising.

1. Tony DeAngelo has become a revelation. So much so, he has to be kept and tried on the left side to improve the organizational balance moving forward. I believe in Trouba/Fox as our future top two RHD defenders, and know Nils has been impressive as a prospect.

2. I am in the "Keep Kreider" camp. He has elite chemistry with our top center, he has a skillset that is immensely difficult to replace, and we have a situation where in the coming years the organization will need players like him in the locker room. I don't think he will age bad, at all, although I totally understand the argument and skepticism giving him the rumored contract. I just think most of this forum is allergic to age 30 and has "shiny new toy" syndrome. I think trading Kreider, AND selling off Strome, Fast, etc., will be two steps in the wrong direction.

3. Which leads me to the "Expendables" tier. These are players in the organization who have talent, who have value to other teams, but inherently by nature are replaceable type assets. For example, has Skjei been inconsistent since signing that contract extension? Sure. Is he still promising and a type of player another team could target in a trade? Yes. Would his trade clear some cap space? Yes. Does Skjei have somebody in the organization who could replace his role eventually? Yes (K'Andre Miller). The logic for Buch (Kravtsov), Fast (Lias; the Rangers drafted and developed Hagelin once upon a time too, so scouts have a good eye for this type of role player), Georgiev (Benoit Allaire), etc. is all the same.

Strome (Chytil) is a true borderline case because he has talent, the former draft pedigree, and can play center/wing. It is important to remember when mentioning replacements for these players, that doesn't happen immediately, but if you're ever looking to diagnosis players who could be moved, it is always the players who have already peaked (McDonagh/Stepan), or players the organization feels like they can replace without having to pay top dollar too (Hayes and Zucc). I would love to keep him, but I can see the case for trading him too.

4. If we all believe in Zibanejad, Panarin, (some of us) Kreider, Trouba, DeAngelo, and the promise of Kakko, Kravtsov, Chytil, Miller, Fox, as well as Igor, now you need to start thinking playoffs. Continuing to accumulate draft picks and prospects will always lengthen the timeline because you're simultaneously attempting to replace production while developing secondary talent. If you keep looking to the future while you're in the present, the future will never come. Some people are OK with selling off now, maintaining the course, and pushing for the playoffs next season or the season after. That is great, but teams like the Oilers and Sabres have operated under this premise for years, and actually acquired the franchise-changing top tier talents in the Draft that Rangers fans have so highly coveted. The Penguins got lucky stringing together multiple generational talents, but in speaking for other teams that have won Stanley Cup titles this past decade (Blackhawks, Bruins, Capitals, Blues, Kings), there wasn't a process of picking in the top 5/6 for 5-10 straight years. The Rangers have now MULTIPLE former high first-round draft picks on the roster, as well as the actual youngest team in the NHL.

I think it is imperative the Rangers attempt to use extra assets accumulated to rid the salary cap hits of Smith and Staal first in order to retain some of what happened this season. I also don't agree with the idea of jettisoning Hank. Hank is still just as effective, and can be fine as the 1B in a scenario where he plays 35-40 games. Let his contract run out, through the remainder of this rebuild/retool, and if he wants to sign one final 1/2-year contract as a veteran backup to see one final playoff push, then that would ultimately be his and the Rangers' decision. If the Bruins can clear most of Backes' salary in the Kase trade from earlier today, then the Rangers can clear Smith in a trade where they sweeten the pot. With the asset(s) used to trade Smith (and I'd pray Staal), you can get those back in a scenario with a Strome/Buch/Skjei/Georgiev trade.

Reactions: duhmetreE

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Does Boston dropping out change your thoughts in any way? Not just if the probability of a trade but in the return?

for me. Not really. I’ve always been more conservative on the potential return.

@jas has worn me down a little and made me more receptive to keeping Kreider. But I still think it’s going to be an uphill challenge.

NYRangers0723

Apr 30, 2019
My sense is that the market is better for Buch and Skjei and maybe Strome than it is for CK.
Personally I’m fine keeping CK - for 5 years, ideally - and moving the above to make space.
that’s a good point. Obviously they have much more control than a rental. Like I said before if we got a good first rounder like the devils got for Hall then that’s fine but all the teams in on CK have very late firsts and nobody want to give up a top prospect/young player for a rental that’s just reality

Reactions: egelband
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad