Speculation: Roster Building Thread XXXIII: 33rd thread twds the line of dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Lol at 34% PP.

They're better than some of the teams there chasing but there is still a sizeable chasm between them and the top teams in the league.

Since Jan 7th here are the teams they've beaten.

COL
NJLOL
NYIx2
DETx2
TOR
LA
WPG
MIN
CBJ
CHI

They have 3 wins against teams currently in a playoff spot, 2 of them against the Isles who are falling fast. I mean you play who you play and they've played well. This isn't a gang of pushovers, but they havent exactly been slaughtering the 70's Canadiens.

Dallas, Boston and STL are the 3 best teams they've played in this stretch, lost all 3.

oh no way they’re not As good as the 70s Canadiens?! Tell me more!

this is a good team that’s going to run out of season but next year with more maturity they are a playoff team for sure. Gutting it of a core piece is a huge step backwards instead of forwards.

Reactions: egelband and jas

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Then they don't get him.

If the isles want him they need to pay through the nose.

Rangers aren't trading Brian Leetch here. Take the best deal out there. Isles 1st will probably be the highest out of the teams interested. The deal also weakens them for the future when the Rangers will be competing.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

this is a good team that’s going to run out of season but next year with more maturity they are a playoff team for sure. Gutting it of a core piece is a huge step backwards instead of forwards.

No I'm saying that their level of competition hasn't exactly been spectacular.

You don't let a string of 20 games influence a 6-7 year decision.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

Signing a 29 year old power forward for 7 years is also not the path towards competing long term

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Lol at 34% PP.

They're better than some of the teams there chasing but there is still a sizeable chasm between them and the top teams in the league.

Since Jan 7th here are the teams they've beaten.

COL
NJLOL
NYIx2
DETx2
TOR
LA
WPG
MIN
CBJ
CHI

They have 3 wins against teams currently in a playoff spot, 2 of them against the Isles who are falling fast. I mean you play who you play and they've played well. This isn't a gang of pushovers, but they havent exactly been slaughtering the 70's Canadiens.

Dallas, Boston and STL are the 3 best teams they've played in this stretch, lost all 3.
I think youre cherry picking quite a bit here. Yea today 3 of those wins are against “playoff teams”. TOR, WPG, MIN, CBJ are all teams who have either held a playoff spot at one point this season after December or have been in the hunt. The West is extremely tight. I mean why are we trying to minimize this team’s progress and success? Theyre beating bad and good teams

Reactions: egelband

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Our favorite former poster/retired wrestler/lover of goon hockey saying the Caps are all in on Kreider:sarcasm:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Insiders throw around the term "top prospect" too much. Could easily be the 4th or 5th best guy in any particular organization and probably will be.

the terms 4th or 5th best prospect is also meaningless without knowing the team and who those prospects are...our 4th or 5th best prospect from 5+ years ago might not crack our top 35 right now.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think youre cherry picking quite a bit here. Yea today 3 of those wins are against “playoff teams”. TOR, WPG, MIN, CBJ are all teams who have either held a playoff spot at one point this season after December or have been in the hunt. The West is extremely tight. I mean why are we trying to minimize this team’s progress and success? Theyre beating bad and good teams

It's not cherry picking.

None of those teams are world beaters and the CBJ they beat is one that has like three quarters of their team injured. Toronto has like 1.5 healthy D and they suck even when completely healthy.

They're not fattening up their record against the worst of the worst, but they haven't exactly been lighting up the top teams in the league either. It's a step forward because they were getting their teeth kicked in by shitty teams through the first 2.5 months of the season, but lets call it what it is.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
I still think Boston ends up paying a price higher than they want to. Something like 1st + Heinen + Vakaneinen + Conditional 2nd (becomes a 3rd if he doesn’t sign with Boston)

So the Rangers get a good LD prospect and a NHL player

Give me Beecher in place of Heinen and sold!

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I’m curious what people’s opinion would be:

Would we prefer this team just make the playoffs and get ousted in the first round in 4-5 games or not make the playoffs and get the better draft picks?

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
For the first time I’m getting the feeling that signing Kreider is a legitimate possibility.

I agree with Carp when he said he’s 50/50 on it. I feel similar about the chances of a trade/signing. I really do believe that Gorton does not WANT to trade Kreider, but may be forced to by contract demands.

I do wonder if Gorton will just tell teams to f*** off if they don’t offer enough, even if he doesn’t have a contract done by Monday. At some point, I wouldn’t hate a power move like that.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Would we prefer this team just make the playoffs and get ousted in the first round in 4-5 games or not make the playoffs and get the better draft picks?
Playoffs. The team seems to pick better with mid-late 1st rounders anyways. :dunno:

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015

Growth from chasing a playoff spot but ultimately failing. Then getting a top 10 player in the draft. Preferably center. I have always thought there was a need for a top 10 pick this year because next year they should be fighting for a playoff spot. My dream would be Stutzle, but I would be very happy with Lundell. I think getting wingers through trades is easier than quality centers.

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley

Most of us would obviously take missing the playoffs and getting the better picks but sneaking into the playoffs is no guarantee that they lose in first round. Who here thought Columbus would sweep Tampa? Answer - Nobody that is sane. You never know how things are going to play out in playoffs. You have to be in it to win it. I think the Rangers would be more dangerous than people think if they snuck in especially with there being no expectations whatsoever.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Hell just look at the deterioration of Rick Nash who was a MUCH better player than Kreider and was here in NY. That guy was also known as a big guy who skated VERY well.

Honestly the only example I can think of of a big skater who aged well was Jason Chimera. And he was never much more than a 3rd line winger. Maybe Fedorov but he was less physical and a much better player at his peak.

The examples of power forwards aging poorly however are legion.

A Kreider contract has the potential to be an albatross 3-4 years in. That's not ideal.

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com

At this point I’d rather make the playoffs and get booted early than lose a bunch after the deadline so we can get the 8th best odds at winning the lottery. Pretty easily. I think it would be very bad moving forward if the team completely collapsed post deadline.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Honestly the only example I can think of of a big skater who aged well was Jason Chimera. And he was never much more than a 3rd line winger. Maybe Fedorov but he was less physical and a much better player at his peak.

The examples of power forwards aging poorly however are legion.

A Kreider contract has the potential to be an albatross 3-4 years in. That's not ideal.

This is exactly my fear. There is just so much more data saying this is a bad idea than it’s a good idea. I could see the argument if this was a ppg, 35-40g guy. Because even if he deteriorates, you’re looking at a good player for a long time. But when the margin isn’t that great to begin with, I’m not enthused with a long term deal that will more than likely include trade protection for most of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad