Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
I think the Rangers have every intention of putting at least as competitive team on the ice next year as they have this year. I don't think we're moving Kreider. I don't think we're pulling the rug out from under Quinn and his coaching staff.

completely agree.

if we move 13 and 36 this year plus mcquaid and say smith, it will be to improve the team for next year. and to do that, you need players plus picks.

unless you get back a top 5 draft pick, its players i want back. not more late 1st/early 2nds.

yes, anything can happen and there is value in rounds 2 and 3. sure. but the odds are long and our track record -- hello mr. clark ???, isnt sparkling.

picking mid to late 1st is a crap shoot that perhaps in 2-4 yrs those players are ready. you dont want more of those picks, you want players for a guy like hayes or kreider. young cost controlled kids that are top prospects in an organization. thats how you build.

i dont buy for one minute that all JG wants is draft picks.

if kreider is moved- and im not against that at all, it will be for a true #1 young Dman and an impact forward coming back. not picks.

this infatuation with draft picks is risky.

this rebuild is gonna be long and painful if were banking on draft picks to save us.

Reactions: Ratelleitlikeitis

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Rangers talking to Hayes, Zucc could be as simple as them seeing what they'd go down to in an extension, however it could also be them asking them which teams they may be willing to extend with post their trade. If they can find a match, and allow them negotiating rights prior to the trade, the return is different than it is if they are pure rentals.

That would be against NHL rules.

But contract talks can trigger teams to offer more.
There are now many tweets out there saying that Calgary has thrown in their 1st trying to get Zucc.

Just be prepared, there's also a chance both Hayes and Zucc are still here on Tuesday.

Btw...TDL is Monday at 3PM EST, not noon.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
That would be against NHL rules.

But contract talks can trigger teams to offer more.
There are now many tweets out there saying that Calgary has thrown in their 1st trying to get Zucc.

Just be prepared, there's also a chance both Hayes and Zucc are still here on Tuesday.

Btw...TDL is Monday at 3PM EST, not noon.

It's not against the rules, they can literally ask their pending UFAs who they still hold the rights to which teams they'd be willing to extend with post trade.

Should they have answers

They can go talk to those teams and see if they have interest, if so workout a possible trade framework.

Then they can give those players and teams permission to talk extension with each other.

If that team and that player can work an extension out, they go back and figure out the specifics of the deal beyond just the framework they came up with before.

That is how after some trades the player almost instantaneously signs an extension, it was worked out prior.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
A team that doesn't currently hold the rights to a pending UFA, can not negotiate before July 1. This would prevent other teams from doing the same or make offers. That's why it's a rule. Players may have a trade list though.

apoptygma

2-5-9-11
Apr 9, 2011
I’m all for trading Kreider- if there’s a deal that makes sense for the Rangers. High draft pick or a Zbad for Bassard type deal..

But i completely disagree that Kreider will not be a productive player at 30/31. Barring some freak injuries - he’s going to stop going into the paint? He’s not going to be able to rip shots off the rush? Maybe he’ll lose a step. Maybe. But he’ll still be a faster skater than 80% of the league.

I can see a case being made for whether he’s worth 7 million dollar contract, sure. But if that’s all the cost and there is no deal out that that will bring back a young, top line player then I see no reason to move him. He’s a great team guy. Honestly, I’d be more inclined to give him “C” than anyone else currently on the team.

Kreider is at his best when he is forcing the opponents to keep further back so they will not be skated past and when he is giving defenders minimum time to move the puck in their own zone creating turnovers. His great speed is a thing the opponents have to adjust their game-plan to. It's a great tool to create space in transition and to force turnovers/bad passes. If he looses a bit of his speed it might not show directly on his own statline where lots of goals are scored around the net and on the PP. But I fear his days as a Corsi-superstar then might be over, and we are left with a 7 million 25/25 guy.

Reactions: Salvage21

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
It seems likely to me that Duchene is the prize of the deadline, and so a lot hinges on when he eventually is dealt.

TSN perception is reality. I think Duchene is massively overrated and doesn’t move the needle for anyone, but yes the dominos fall after he’s gone today.

Reactions: Ola

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
A team that doesn't currently hold the rights to a pending UFA, can not negotiate before July 1. This would prevent other teams from doing the same or make offers. That's why it's a rule. Players may have a trade list though.

Yes they do, teams hold the rights to a player until he is traded, or until July 1st of the year their contract ends. Other teams can not talk to said player unless permission is granted. (although there is now a interview period before July 1st)

Unless said player is a RFA where his contract has ended and the team still holds his rights, never mind I'm not going to spend time explaining what restricted means.

Last edited:

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
Kevin Weekes reporting the west is wide open and there aren’t as many sellers as people originally thought. Lot of teams holding their UFAs.

This is extremely good news for us.

Rangers too? That would not be good news for you ;)

Reijo29

Feb 8, 2015
No one is talking about Vesey, but he's having by far his best season so far. I think they can easily get a 2nd for him and a decent prospect

Depends on how much they want to gut this team
What the heck are they dealing Vesey for? He’s young. For a 2nd rounder? We’d do cartwheels if the 2nd rounder was as good as Vesey. So ridiculous.

Reactions: Boris Zubov

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
So when do the Rangers keep Zucc and Hayes off the ice to protect their assets?

3 games left until Monday's deadline. Let them go against Minny at home for one last skate? Or let them suit up for the Devs too?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
and man... literally all the teams the Rangers were jockeying with for the lotto won or got points yesterday. If the Rangers lost they would be at 7... instead they are at 12. Never wanted a Rangers team to tank more than this year...

Reactions: wafflepadsave

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
It's not so much 31 where I fear his play, it's 32, 33, 34, 35, 36 (as I think he gets a 7 year deal).

One must also remember that the league itself is getting faster every year. Will he keep that edge in speed
Yea but to his point Viper, even if Kreider loses a step, he would still be faster than a majority of the league. A large majority. So yes I uthink he can be effective well into his 30s.

Reactions: Salvage21 and jas

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
What the heck are they dealing Vesey for? He’s young. For a 2nd rounder? We’d do cartwheels if the 2nd rounder was as good as Vesey. So ridiculous.

Yeah as much crap as we give him he’s improved tremendously YOY. He’s already matched his career high. I think he’s probably a consistent 30-40 pt third line winger. He’s still fairly young with very few nhl miles on him. Have to give him another season to up his value. He’s a pending UFA at next year’s deadline. If he becomes a 40 plus point player going for his next contract he’ll be a valuable rental then and he’s cheap.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Yea but to his point Viper, even if Kreider loses a step, he would still be faster than a majority of the league. A large majority. So yes I uthink he can be effective well into his 30s.

I never worry about signing guys long term that are elite skaters. He’ll play for as long as he wants to. No problem giving him a 6 or 7 year deal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

He's a UFA at the end of next year so considering they aren't going to compete next year, getting something for him would be a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->