Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

PANARIN BREAD FAN

Feb 18, 2019
assuming kevin hayes is still around to man center, do the rangers have enough to spend on the below?
LW: panarin, skinner or dzingel
RW: stone, silfverberg, or nyquist
also would it cost about the same amount to sign brock nelson as it would for hayes?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
assuming kevin hayes is still around to man center, do the rangers have enough to spend on the below?
also would it cost about the same amount to sign brock nelson as it would for hayes?

If we’re doing a serious rebuild, signing any of those players is not a priority — unless we acquire him with the intent to exchange for a prospect or pick.

Reactions: The Crypto Guy

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY

I was 4 when the Rangers won the cup. If they continue to do shit like this, I can be assured I'll never see one in my lifetime that I actually get to enjoy.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Who has been our best PPQB statistically?

By my eye-test, Pionk of course played there for a while when everything went in, but I do think that TDA is doing the best job when being on it. I think we underrate TDA some, he is playing really good. Think it would show more if we had a better team.

I don't think Shatty is doing a great job on the PP anymore [sic?]. He is OK there, but not great from my POV.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Kreider's name is out there. If the Rangers weren't talking to teams about him, his name wouldn't be out there. TSN has him on their trade list. Why is Kreider such as indispensable part? He is very overrated by the Rangers fanbase. Every year it's the same thing with him. This is the year he breaks out. Next year is the year he breaks out. He has 4 goals in the last 22 games. His last goal was 7 games ago against Los Angeles. Kreider had 20 goals on December 29. He was pace for 44 goals. Now he is pace for 33. That number goes down every game. 28 goals is his career high. He will be 29 when his next contract begins. Look at the aging curves. A 5-6 year contract takes him to 34-35 at the end of that contract. He will not be a productive player for most of that contract. Ages 30/31 to the end. Kreider is a nice guy and everything but let another team pay him.

Teams didn't want to give Machado and Harper crazy term because analytics are so good. The Padres were desperate and they weren't the player's top ten choice of teams. Players decline in their early to mid 30's in baseball and teams didn't want to be left holding the bag. The Yankees didn't want to do it. Everyone had them signing one of those players to a 10 year plus contract. The Yankees employ 20 people in their analytics department. It's much earlier in hockey. The decline begins at the start of Kreider's next contract.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

If I were Panarin and I wanted to play in the NYC area I would seriously consider the Islanders. Just saying. You can play for a mediocre team next year that probably won't make the playoffs--actually if we're including the Devils--there are two mediocre teams or you can play for a team that will probably make the playoffs again and that's the Islanders.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I would most definitely not call the Islanders “probable” to make the playoffs next year considering the major factor in their record this year is two journeymen goalies putting up a combined.939 sv% at 5v5 and .925 overall.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Last game for Hayes, Zuccarello, McQuaid pls.

I got this feeling that the Rangers aren't going to do what they did at the deadline last year. First--Quinn is not AV and not in the doghouse and his team is not in a state of shellshock (like happened after the letter). Second--McDonagh had been banged up and quite possibly Nash too. Third--the team is actively trying to win games and I don't think Quinn would be pleased. 4th--we're going with 12 forwards and 8 more than less healthy D--the healthy forwards are going to play.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I would most definitely not call the Islanders “probable” to make the playoffs next year considering the major factor in their record this year is two journeymen goalies putting up a combined.939 sv% at 5v5 and .925 overall.

They're a lot more probable than we are and if Panarin does sign with them that just increases the likelihood. They've also got a pretty good chance of winning the division this year (despite or) because their goaltending has been pretty good.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I got this feeling that the Rangers aren't going to do what they did at the deadline last year. First--Quinn is not AV and not in the doghouse and his team is not in a state of shellshock (like happened after the letter). Second--McDonagh had been banged up and quite possibly Nash too. Third--the team is actively trying to win games and I don't think Quinn would be pleased. 4th--we're going with 12 forwards and 8 more than less healthy D--the healthy forwards are going to play.
It is irresponsible to play your big trade chips this close to the deadline. That's on Gorton.

Imagine Hayes or Zuccarello get injured before the TDL. Poof. There goes a few first/second round picks and prospects, and now you're forced to either lose them to free agency for nothing, get a low round picks for their UFA rights (like Yandle), or sign them to expensive extensions. None of these options are in the team's best interest.

Also, Quinn doesn't care. He will play the players provided to him. He understands that this is a business. He's even said as much. Multiple times. The team will try to win games with whatever lineup they have.

Reactions: Riche16

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Who has been our best PPQB statistically?

By my eye-test, Pionk of course played there for a while when everything went in, but I do think that TDA is doing the best job when being on it. I think we underrate TDA some, he is playing really good. Think it would show more if we had a better team.

I don't think Shatty is doing a great job on the PP anymore [sic?]. He is OK there, but not great from my POV.
I agree that DeAngelo has looked better on the PP than Shatty, though it's been tough for him recently to carry a unit with little talent on it. When he had Hayes (and Shatty for a stretch, to be fair) with him on the PP2 at the start of the year they were actually the second most dangerous unit in the league in terms of HDCF/60 after the Leafs' PP1. After Hayes was promoted to the first unit Tony hasn't been able to sustain that and for the minutes where he hasn't even had Buch on there the unit has basically not been able to do anything. He's only gotten 10 minutes in total on the PP1 and the results were fantastic, though such a minuscule sample is hard to draw conclusions from.

In terms of the eye-test, Tony is more dynamic, moves around more and subsequently makes more happen.

At this point I'd give him at least a five-game stretch to run the top unit to see how it goes, though it could spell trouble for the contract negotiations this summer if he starts to put up too many points.

Reactions: Ola
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad