Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XVII What will Santa Gorton bring us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
I agree that we aren't at a full tear down place, and the team isn't bad enough to pick as high as they would need to under that direction.

But I'm not sure I like 93, 13, and 21 down the gut.

Not only do cup winners generally have an elite center, the last team to win one without a Hall of Fame center was a long time ago. We need to do better there, or we're heading right back where we were (good but not good enough).

I’ve said before that re-signing Hayes is repeating the same pattern of the last run. If you’re not willing to move Hayes, why move McDonagh last year? He left a much more difficult hole to fill than trading Hayes does. I’d rather have paid McDonagh long term than Hayes.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I’ve said before that re-signing Hayes is repeating the same pattern of the last run. If you’re not willing to move Hayes, why move McDonagh last year? He left a much more difficult hole to fill than trading Hayes does. I’d rather have paid McDonagh long term than Hayes.

This feb-June will tell us more about this rebuild than last year did.

They did everything they set out to do, but now we’ll see how serious they are about following through.

It’s clear as f***ing day that they don’t need zuccarello, Hayes has played well though but I agree with MH and others who say that he is not a pivotal piece.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

We moved on from McDonagh because we're hoping K'Andre Miller wins a Norris on contract #2, just like we'd be moving on from Hayes because we want Center X to score 80 points on his ELC.

We need better talent than we had last run and paying very good talent a lot of money is going to hurt us down the road if we do find elite talent.

If we don't find elite talent and also got rid of Hayes, then we'll just suck with nothing to spend our cap on, but that's the risk you take to put together a true contender.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Zucc and Hayes both help a lot on many nights. But they are both pending UFAs and we are a rebuilding team. Thems the breaks. Have to see whats available out there for them and how we can put ourselves in a better position to chase the Cup in a couple seasons. Need a young top pairing LD, if Lindgren or Hajek won't be ready and Skjei can't step up.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
This feb-June will tell us more about this rebuild than last year did.

They did everything they set out to do, but now we’ll see how serious they are about following through.

It’s clear as ****ing day that they don’t need zuccarello, Hayes has played well though but I agree with MH and others who say that he is not a pivotal piece.

I believe that once the Rangers didn’t sign Hayes long-term, he was getting moved. But, until he gets moved, we’re going to be subjected to the ‘sign him’ posts. I reiterate...if the goal is simply to repeat previous success, sure, sign Hayes long-term and wonder why this team doesn’t win a Cup. If the goal is to win Cups, go out and get as much high-end talent as possible. I’ll take my chances that the group that just drafted Kravtsov and Miller will be successful with the same approach in the upcoming draft.

Last edited:

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Zucc and Hayes both help a lot on many nights. But they are both pending UFAs and we are a rebuilding team. Thems the breaks. Have to see whats available out there for them and how we can put ourselves in a better position to chase the Cup in a couple seasons. Need a young top pairing LD, if Lindgren or Hajek won't be ready and Skjei can't step up.
Likewise, moving Hayes does create a 2C void. Chytil might get there eventually, but he's being outplayed by Howden who is not himself projected to be more than a 3C. Andersson looking more like a 3C, but maybe someday a dominant one. We will need a solid, younger 2C.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
We moved on from McDonagh because we're hoping K'Andre Miller wins a Norris on contract #2, just like we'd be moving on from Hayes because we want Center X to score 80 points on his ELC.

We need better talent than we had last run and paying very good talent a lot of money is going to hurt us down the road if we do find elite talent.

If we don't find elite talent and also got rid of Hayes, then we'll just suck with nothing to spend our cap on, but that's the risk you take to put together a true contender.

This has been my mantra since the letter came out.

Reactions: Machinehead

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
That’s really a now issue and one that may be solved in a few months.

What they need is either a C to drop zibnajed to #2 or a winger who is so good that he can carry a line.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Likewise, moving Hayes does create a 2C void. Chytil might get there eventually, but he's being outplayed by Howden who is not himself projected to be more than a 3C. Andersson looking more like a 3C, but maybe someday a dominant one. We will need a solid, younger 2C.

Fortunately, the upcoming draft is chock full of of quality centers.

Reactions: Rongomania

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Fortunately, the upcoming draft is chock full of of quality centers.
but will they be ready in enough time? Or else we'll be having this same convo in a couple seasons re: Zibanejad and Buchnevich instead of Hayes and Zuccarello

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This has been my mantra since the letter came out.

My mantra has been: I don't wanna be the team that's good and has generational goaltending. I wanna be the team that's beating the shit out of everyone and can get by with good goaltending.

You either need a fistful of superstars (Pittsburgh, Washington) or you need to absolutely dominate the flow of play (Chicago, LA).

The 2012-2015 Rangers, as fun as they were, did neither.

Reactions: Riche16

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Its not paying off for them right now, but Blues used some magic in getting Schenn and ROR. Those deals were amazing, and if they had a G and maybe a winning system they'd be doing a lot more right now with that roster.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
I wouldn't have a problem with re-signing KH, but I can definitely understand the arguments being made against it. I just hope we find that other high-end center. Think our wings will be fine with Kreider (assuming he's re-signed), Buch, Chytil, Kravtsov, Panarin?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I wouldn't have a problem with re-signing KH, but I can definitely understand the arguments being made against it. I just hope we find that other high-end center. Think our wings will be fine with Kreider (assuming he's re-signed), Buch, Chytil, Kravtsov, Panarin?

If we sign Panarin, our wing situation is extremely dank.

With good centers, and provided Chytil and Kravtsov meet expectations, I put those 5 up against any 5 in the league.

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
What do you make of this comment? Couple of days ago Quinn said he's basically ready to play.

Sounds like Zucc has bailed out. He did say he's just waiting for a trade, this was probably not a joke.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
What do you make of this comment? Couple of days ago Quinn said he's basically ready to play.

Sounds like Zucc has bailed out. He did say he's just waiting for a trade, this was probably not a joke.

I take it as a guy made two false starts and set back his health by returning too early. So the team is holding him out until his easily re-injured groin is fully healed. Therefore, the coach would be surprised if he is deemed ready for tomorrow's game.

Was.... there more to really... read into there....?

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016

It just means he isnt ready yet

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
K'Awesome and KravtsHOF

upload_2018-12-9_21-2-55.gif

Reactions: Machinehead
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad