Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Okay, I don't disagree. But I would not be surprised if that's the directive from the front office. They may also be speculating it could be more than a 3rd.

Regardless, I voiced my concerns about the McQuaid trade when it was made and many here tried to reassure that it wasn't bad asset management because we could easily flip him for a profit come the TDL. Forward to today, McQuaid has been sidelined for several games and ADA/Pionk have taken the reins and demonstrated they deserve their spots in the lineup cemented unless one of them falls off a cliff. This is more applicable to ADA as I don't think Pionk is taking a seat again anytime soon. This brings me back to my original point which was McQuaid's presence is ultimately the source of tension between what has become basically two factions of HFNYR with respect to Pionk and ADA.

They Rangers are now in a situation where they're forced to weigh the importance of the potential assets recouped from McQuaid against biting the bullet and giving the ice time to a young defenseman who seems to be coming into his own. I know what I choose, but I'm not overly confident they see it the same way.

I think ultimately they will see it that way. I always bring up how McDonagh broke into the league. Rozy got hurt. McDonagh got called up, cemented his place in the lineup - and in the end, Rozy got traded for forward help (not that it helped much).

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
Pittsburgh isn't done. Boston is decimated on the blue line. L.A. doesn't seem to be packing it in. Nylander is creating a mini-deadline hurry up and wait. When Dec 1 comes, some more pieces may get moved. Carolina for instance, they will probably add offense if they miss on WN.

Reactions: TheTakedown

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Zibanejad
Hayes
Howden
Chytil
Andersson

Rangers think of both Chytil and Andersson as C's Guessing Strome will play wing? Or does he bump on of the other lads to the wing?

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Gorton made it pretty clear in today's presser that we will be using Strome on wing. He is a right handed shot that needs to learn a new system, we will not be throwing the responsibility of playin C on him right away. I think we give him a look in the middle 6 and see what happens. Should be a fun project for Quinn. In terms of D. I love that we have a logjam of vets right when teams are desperate for them. McQuaid and Smith are players that teams might start calling about if they need some good vet presence. We are in a good place asset wise right now. If Gorton can keep making good deals then we are on great pace with the rebuild.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Namestnikov - Zibanejad, Kreider - Hayes, Vesey - Howden - Fast each seems to be becoming a thing even though Quinn is proving himself a trigger happy when it comes to line shuffling.

Chytil, Andersson, Zuke, Strome (and Buchnevich) will be filling up the open spots.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
https://nypost.com/2018/05/12/only-one-way-a-lou-lamoriello-rescue-of-islanders-would-work/

In May Larry Brooks wrote that Ryan Spooner didn't fit in the Rangers long term plans. 26 years old. Perimeter player. He scored a lot last year when he came over for Nash. Where did that get them? He didn't continue with that production this year.

Did you read the letter? GMJG is looking to get younger. He doesn't want players who will be UFA at the end of their deal.

Quinn is a college coach. He values toughness. Grit. Engagement. Spooner has been a healthy scratch several times this season. Quinn won't stand for players who don't get involved in the play. Now he is no longer a Ranger. Good riddance.

Ryan Strome. 25 years old. Deal ends after next year. RFA. Deal him at the deadline for a third round pick. In 2006 Brad Marchand was a third round pick by the Boston Bruins. Who was the teams GM then? Gorton. Draft the next Marchand.

We should trade RB now. Over 25, started to show signs of breaking down. Do we give him a new contract? Will he take a one year only, no NMC? We already have a replacement. @SA16 nproved that he has the stuff and smarts he needs playing time.

Edit: Sincerely hope @RangerBoy recognizes flattery when we poke a little fun at his posting style. Definitely should not be taking as disparaging his contribution to this community even when quite a few here recently have been debating his position / approach.

Last edited:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Zibanejad
Hayes
Howden
Chytil
Andersson

Rangers think of both Chytil and Andersson as C's Guessing Strome will play wing? Or does he bump on of the other lads to the wing?
JG said in the press conference yesterday that they are looking at Strome on the wing

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Dubas is smarter than that.

I don't think him trading for McQuaid would be dumb. McQuaid can be a good depth guy and has experience. He isn't the upgrade they need on defense, but he can fill in if there are injuries. Kind of like how Boston traded for Holden last year.

On the flip side, is Dubas really that smart? Has he actually done anything yet that would make him seem smart? To date, his only accomplishment other than getting the GM job has been to go through a lengthy holdout with Nylander. I guess it can be said that he has been smart not to cave to Nylander's demands, but I don't think there's enough evidence yet to really know what kind of GM he is going to be.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
@GAGLine Nylander has soon missed 20 games already - not sure if it benefits the Leafs Franchise when they can`t find a solution on Nylander`s demand or what they are going to do with him. Dubas is not an experienced GM so really hard to figure him out recently about the Nylander topic.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Keep the Strome theme going...

Shattenkirk for D.Strome

Shattenkirk has to go. With ADA and Pionk, he's expendable. Trade him while he has some perception of value. Or the alternative would be to trade Pionk or ADA... not feeling that

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I’d call Boston about Brendan Smith. They don’t want to fall out of it. It’s an arms race in the Atlantic. They are dying on the back end

Reactions: TheTakedown

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Zibanejad
Hayes
Howden
Chytil
Andersson

We have too many centers and Jeff G. said it was important to use both Chytil & Lias as centers while they are develping in an interview earlier this year - so not sure why Chytil is playing a wing role at the moment. Maybe one of the reasons are that centers has usually better value in NHL - so will Chytil be moved back to center in near future?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We have too many centers and Jeff G. said it was important to use both Chytil & Lias as centers while they are develping in an interview earlier this year - so not sure why Chytil is playing a wing role at the moment. Maybe one of the reasons are that centers has usually better value in NHL - so will Chytil be moved back to center in near future?

I’m thinking as soon as Hayes is gone Chytil will go back to center. Quinn wants him there he just knows he can’t get him the ice time

Reactions: Ori

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Vesey Howden Fast
Lias Chytil Namestnikov
Mcleod Strome whoever

That’s my guess on how we look finishing up the season and we go into full tank mode but the kids get mins they need.

Next year you add Panarin and Kravstov and it slots guys like Vesey and Fast back down where they belong.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Vesey Howden Fast
Lias Chytil Namestnikov
Mcleod Strome whoever

That’s my guess on how we look finishing up the season and we go into full tank mode but the kids get mins they need.

Next year you add Panarin and Kravstov and it slots guys like Vesey and Fast back down where they belong.
You don’t think they’ll get an NHL body back?

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
No i do that’s why I said whoever on the fourth line. Could be a filler. But I don’t think we bring back anyone that’s playing for us long term. I think it’s picks and b prospects we prob get.

But yes we’ll get a filler or two

Reactions: Mac n Gs

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Keep the Strome theme going...

Shattenkirk for D.Strome

Shattenkirk has to go. With ADA and Pionk, he's expendable. Trade him while he has some perception of value. Or the alternative would be to trade Pionk or ADA... not feeling that
That’s a pretty underwhelming return for Shattenkirk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad