Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XV: Trading up or down? - Mod Warning post #450

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014

Purging any traces from our WHL draftees over the last few years.

Kid wouldn’t have been able to skate at the NHL level. C’est la vie.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Hags was really a casualty of the cap.

We don't have that problem now. The problem is as a player, I think he's worth more than both were at the time he was traded.

So when you factor those things together, the value is probably not to far off, tilting slightly towards Hagelin (the others probably don't return the prospect which is likely a good thing, I don't want an Etem)

Now here's the next thing, if that is their value currently when another team can negotiate the deal they will be getting next, what happens to their value once they are, or if they are re-signed by the Rangers?

My slight concern is that if the team doesn't move these guys this off-season, they may be stuck with them next off-season (assuming both get more than 1 year deals) which could hinder their ability to play in a nice UFA class.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Any reason to cut Zborovskiy at this moment? Do we need a roster spot:sarcasm:

35 contracts
17 pending FAs
15 on our reserve list

That brings the total to 67. With our 10(!) draft picks, that would bring us to 77. Could it be that this has something to do with the reserve list limit of 80 and not so much with the SPC limit of 50?

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Zadina
Tkachuk
Wahlstrom
Kotkaniemi

That is my personal list of players I want in descending order.

I could live if we ended up with one of Hughes/Dobson - assuming that is the player the Rangers wanted

Anyone but those guys and I really won't feel too good about it

I'd happily trade up for one of the aforementioned Wingers

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Now here's the next thing, if that is their value currently when another team can negotiate the deal they will be getting next, what happens to their value once they are, or if they are re-signed by the Rangers?

My slight concern is that if the team doesn't move these guys this off-season, they may be stuck with them next off-season (assuming both get more than 1 year deals) which could hinder their ability to play in a nice UFA class.

They can elect to sign them for just a year I think.

I think one of those 2 are gonezo for sure by Saturday so this will likely sort itself out.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Are Spooner and Namestnikov in the same situation Hagelin was in a few years ago prior to being moved? Are their values really that low (swap of a couple of 2nd's and a decent prospect each)?

I'm going to say that Namestnikov should be given a 2-3 year contract, and Spooner should be given a 1 year deal to take him to UFA. Spooner is the better player, he'll yield more at the deadline. Namestnikov would be a good depth piece

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012

Purging any traces from our WHL draftees over the last few years.

Kid wouldn’t have been able to skate at the NHL level. C’est la vie.

That 2015 draft and offseason literally could not have gone worse...

New York Rangers Draft History at hockeydb.com

2015 Entry
DraftNum.RoundPlayerPosDrafted FromGPGAPtsPIM
2015 Entry412Ryan GroppLSeattle Thunderbirds [WHL]
2015 Entry623Robin KovacsRAIK [Swe-1]
2015 Entry793Sergey ZborovskiyDRegina Pats [WHL]
2015 Entry893Aleksi SaarelaCAssat Pori [SM-liiga]
2015 Entry1134Brad MorrisonCPrince George Cougars [WHL]
2015 Entry1194Daniel BernhardtRDjurgardens Jrs. (Sweden)
2015 Entry1847Adam HuskaGSlovakia U-18
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not a single NHL GAME out of any player out of this draft after 3 years... That's horrendous

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
It's a smokescreen. They tried this by saying they were going defense. They want Kotkaniemi but don't want to need to take him at 3. Trying to make others fear them taking 'their' guy. I doubt someone will bite
This is exactly what it is. Media leaks too strong because Montreal is run by buffoons, too many people know too much and the guy 10th on the totem pole wants to feel popular by telling his buddies inside news, but their hand is now tipped.

They are desperately trying to drum up interest in their pick because they want to trade back to take Kotkaniemi and recoup value.

nyr__1994

Apr 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
35 contracts
17 pending FAs
15 on our reserve list

That brings the total to 67. With our 10(!) draft picks, that would bring us to 77. Could it be that this has something to do with the reserve list limit of 80 and not so much with the SPC limit of 50?

Is that before or after the Z contract termination? Only having 2 spots open would really handcuff any potential deals....

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

2015 Entry
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not a single NHL GAME out of any player out of this draft after 3 years... That's horrendous

The only guy who looks to have any NHL future is the guy we traded away.

What an ass draft.

Reactions: TheTakedown

member 116805

Don't forget they might actually extend his contract, how about 6 years at 5M per? That's a really good deal.

If he is re-signed, my guess would be 3-4 x 5,5

I think he is probably traded to a contender at the deadline though

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Is that before or after the Z contract termination? Only having 2 spots open would really handcuff any potential deals....
Interesting. Could simply be to let the kid go find opportunity elsewhere, since the Rangers as an organization tend to be pretty good about that kind of thing.

But by the same token, the timing, right before the draft... and with FA right around the corner at which point I'd imagine all but 1 or 2 of Carey, McCleod, Sproul, Pavelec, Catenacci, and John, as well as potentially Fogarty and Tambellini, are ticketed out of town, thus opening up spots... it does feel kind of like they want flexibility over the next twelve days.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
There is word today that Artemi Panarin has told CLB that he is not ready to consider an extension “at this time.” (UFA July 2019.) As a result, the Blue Jackets are testing the market for him.

Trade the whole damn team

He is actually the guy I am most hopeful the Rangers can snag in UFA next season. I like Karlsson, I LOVE Panarin

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
There is word today that Artemi Panarin has told CLB that he is not ready to consider an extension “at this time.” (UFA July 2019.) As a result, the Blue Jackets are testing the market for him.

Trade the whole damn team
Hayes and a late first this year for Panarin. Whom we then sign to a 6 year 6 million contract. Instantly become s our best forward and still young

Reactions: TheTakedown

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Hayes and a late first this year for Panarin. Whom we then sign to a 6 year 6 million contract. Instantly become s our best forward and still young

Board flaked out on me so editing my reply here:

No way Panarin takes a 6x6 contract. You are at least 2 million a year off and probably more.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

2015 Entry
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

But also not unexpected. Especially when you look at the picks around a lot of those guys.

The clear miss is Gropp at this point.

But these days, when you trade picks in the top 60, your odds of getting an NHL player probably go down to single digits.

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY

2015 Entry
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Not to mention this...

28Anthony Beauvillier (LW)
23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.png
Canada
New York Islanders (from NY Rangers via Tampa Bay)7Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Can we start a, "GET PANARIN", movement? This is exactly who I wanted us to target in two years when he's a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad