Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
I would be careful in DeAngelo trades....he reminds me a lot of Letang who was an integral part for the Penguins ....fight/score /PP and a Prick to play against . Guys like him don't fall out of the D tree everyday . Hold the line on spending or trading for two more seasons.....and then we should be ready to take off . If we get a steady improvement in Kravs-Gauthier -Chytil-Kakko-Lindgren-DeAngelo-Howden-Fox and add in the Swedish Dman Lundkvist and Miller / Robertson and who knows...our second first rounder might be a delight like the Bruins found with their sniper Pasternak late in a draft . Plus we still have some guys waiting to be Rangers like Barron . I doubt Gorton will do any panic moves until they absolutely know what we have in the system . Any problems we have would be what makes other clubs drool these days . I think Gauthier could be a huge factor for us this season . I would like to see him follow Kreider and see some crease on the 2nd PP unit .
This.

He is our most valuable (potential) chip. If he is moved the Rangers need to get real value and not a grab bag of spare parts. Krebs is real value but not enough for a 1-1 trade. Nylander is real value. Cirelli is a nice thought but you are smoking your underwear if you think Tampa is giving him up. Or taking Tony back.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
This.

He is our most valuable (potential) chip. If he is moved the Rangers need to get real value and not a grab bag of spare parts. Krebs is real value but not enough for a 1-1 trade. Nylander is real value. Cirelli is a nice thought but you are smoking your underwear if you think Tampa is giving him up. Or taking Tony back.

Have you been hearing similar things to Edge or is it too early to tell?

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
We've looked for a D-man like TDA since Leetch. 16 years. People can't wait to trade him. I don't get it.

For me, it's purely cap-related. We're going to have sign a lot of more important guys down the road and we already have a lot of money tied up in Panarin, Kreider, and Trouba. I love Deangelo, but I just can't commit to him long-term, especially in a flat cap era.

His politics don't bother me. His affinity for all things Philly bothers me more. Haha. But seriously, he's our best trade chip and for a team that severely lacks and needs a first-pair LD and 2C, he could be our best chance at getting one.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
For me, it's purely cap-related. We're going to have sign a lot of more important guys down the road and we already have a lot of money tied up in Panarin, Kreider, and Trouba. I love Deangelo, but I just can't commit to him long-term, especially in a flat cap era.

His politics don't bother me. His affinity for all things Philly bothers me more. Haha. But seriously, he's our best trade chip and for a team that severely lacks and needs a first-pair LD and 2C, he could be our best chance at getting one.

I will be very upset if we lose TDA because of Kreider or Trouba. Neither is as valuable as TDA, IMHO.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
How much would Lindholm realistically cost? I cant see him being moved unless overpaid.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Have the Rangers left the Georgiev market? That's the real question, I feel. Seems like they want to keep him(even though I personally would capitalize on getting assets for him)
FO reportedly doesn't see him as a starter. We have our starter in Igor, and Georgiev knows it. He's an RFA with arbitration rights and will not be motivated to sign long-term as a backup to someone his age and with less NHL experience. I think for these reasons Georgiev is available, and as long as the offers aren't insulting he'll get moved.

Reactions: jas

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
For real.

Nils is a great prospect, but this deal would be a no brainer.

I am reluctant to deal Nils at all. He seems to have a cannon of a shot from the point in addition to all the other skills that make him a quality offensive defenseman. He seems like he might be more complete than DeAngelo frankly. Like Fox but with a better blast.

If he’s going, I would want it to be as part of a package for a 1C not a 2C. If I’m 2C hunting, what can I get for some combination of Jones/Reunanon/Carolina first/Buch or Strome/Georgiev ?

Maybe once I know the answer to that question I’d be more willing to deal Lundkvist.

Reactions: McSauer

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I'm not in the trade DeAngelo bucket at all. I liked his moxie in the playoffs, but I thought he was disappointing in the post-season. Look he's done nothing but make Gorts look good.
  • The Derek Stepan Trade is now officially the Tony DeAngelo Trade
  • The Rangers missed on the 7th overall pick, but DeAngelo single handedly outscored all of the forwards in that trade this year, and will probably continue to do so for a while.
  • The need to pay Tony DeAngelo netted the Rangers another 1st round pick to give them another shot at a first as a byproduct of Tony's Play.
  • You get Skjeiky Brady off the team and that helped the team become better defensively. The Rangers kept winning without him.
  • Helped you clear $5.25M right away. That helped you get clearance to re-sign Kreider, and have the ability to pay the other RFA's.
Did Tony have a disappointing post-season, yeah he did. But he was fired up about it, and for him I think it was a great experience to help him harness his emotions in a big game. I loved the fact that he dropped the gloves to send a message, and I liked that he competed hard.

That said- I'd ding off a little bit on the signing bonus structure for the playoffs. Some sort of symbolic gesture. Rangers should lock him up to a 5-6 year deal. Anything between $5.8M to $6.3M on the cap is favorable. The Rangers can front load the deal and Tony can put the time value of money to good use.

Tony'll need some advice on how to put that to good use, but there are a lot of hockey guys in the investment world. Once he's papered up he'll be good. With some of the advisors around him, I don't think cap hit will be much of an issue as much as what Tony can do with the up-front money.

If Tony's producing, he's going to get a lot of sponsorship deals in the area. He just hasn't hit that level of fame or recognition yet but that comes with racking up a couple of years like the last one.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I am not so sure of that.

I get a bit of a Blake Wheeler vibe when I watch him in Finland. And these really big young forwards just takes time. Pulju just turned 22. He is the same size as Kevin Hayes and Wheeler and co. Both Hayes and Wheeler debuted in the NHL at the age of 22. It’s not his fault that EDM was brain dead and brought him to the NHL over 4 years ago...

I would not bet my mom on that Pulju — will — make it, even become a NHLer. But I definitely think that he has moved a long way in the right direction. And there is no reason to not expect a young kid with his size to keep developing and to grow into their body.

How is he still under contract since Andersson apparently expires this year?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
The cap isn't the massive issue that it's painted to be. Getting through this next year is going to be tough-ish, but long term we have a pretty clean cap sheet.

We have 3 long term deals on the books right now (Panarin, Kreider, Trouba) and a butt load of space after next year. I know some of that chunk is going to be eaten by guys who get extended this year but there is plenty of room to keep the guys who you want to keep while still having wiggle room to make adds along the way.

The secondary players will come and go for the most part, thats just how it works in this league. But I don't know, I think that when you have guys who are top 4 in the league in scoring at their position and top 3 at ES, those are the guys you try to keep around unless you can get a similar player at a different position where you may be lacking or as a centerpiece for a bigger fish. Those deals are hard to find but if one happens to present itself then sure, I'm all ears.

Forget the Staalweights for a second, is there anyone here who would actually elect to keep Chytil/Buchnevich/Howden/Lindgren over DeAngelo? Because really at the end of the day it's going to come down to 2 of them vs DeAngelo salary wise.

There’s incredibly more nuance to the Tony conversation than simply summing it up as people “wanting to trade him”

And yet people continue to post that exact phrase in these threads multiples times a week lol

Can you blame them?

We had a proposal from one of our own fans a few pages back which involved moving him PLUS a 1st with 2 expiring UFA's and a prospect as the return.

Things like that make it seem like people want to move him just to move him.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Not surprising, however I think Elliotte also mentioned on this weeks 31T that while Drury may be high on Florida’s list, he would be shocked if he left NYR to take that job.
Why wouldn't anyone, if offered, move to Florida for a promotion and a Lot More Money?

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We've looked for a D-man like TDA since Leetch. 16 years. People can't wait to trade him. I don't get it.

Well.... it’s cause we have three other long term options at RD. I don’t know what’s not to understand.

I don’t want to trade ADA but i don’t want to trade Fox or Lundkvist either. And Trouba will not be traded.

So it’s either move DeAngelo to the left or capitalize on his value, which seems like more than Lundkvist’s at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad