Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
I don’t think Brodin would be a better deal next season at all. Trouba needs a better partner ASAP. Brodin will probably get a raise in UFA, and getting him for a year let’s the Rangers see firsthand if he is worth it before committing. It’s a great move and probably wouldn’t cost anything that would hurt the Rangers.

If you don’t like RNH I listed 5 other options that make sense. You may not like RNH but the Rangers have been after him before.
I think Brodin being a better trade next year has something to do with the expansion draft and who we protect.

i'm not giving up any assets for a 2c so nothing really interests me. It's not a huge need.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think Brodin being a better trade next year has something to do with the expansion draft and who we protect.

i'm not giving up any assets for a 2c so nothing really interests me. It's not a huge need.
The point on trading for Brodin is that you don’t have to protect him. Not sure what the disconnect is here. Expansion draft is not relevant to Brodin

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
What do people think about Roope Hintz as a target for center? Dallas needs offensive help, they have cap space, and we have players we could trade.

He has really good size and would give Kakko a fellow Finn.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
What do people think about Roope Hintz as a target for center? Dallas needs offensive help, they have cap space, and we have players we could trade.

I like Hintz but isn't he a winger?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Would be amazing but doubt Dallas moves him.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

I don’t see why they’d want to trade him. Hintz is a beast.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I really want Cirelli.
Don’t think Tampa is moving him unless they have to. They won’t have to.

If you like Cirelli, maybe a cheaper alternating would be Danault from Montreal. Similar tool kit but Danault is a rental. Rangers liked Danault his draft year. Habs probably hold on but since he is UFA who knows.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don’t see why they’d want to trade him. Hintz is a beast.

What if we sent ADA the other way? They could use an offensive RHD. Or maybe they have an interest in Strome, Buch or even Kreider (add on either side as necessary). Maybe they still wouldn't do it, I don't know, but they need to improve offensively. Benn, Seguin and Radulov aren't getting any younger.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI

Why would the Stars move him if they need offensive help?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I've always been a big fan of Brodin but I don't think he's the right kind of partner for Trouba. Not to mention he's going to be expensive as hell to acquire and will need a hefty raise in a year. We saw it with Morrisey in Winnipeg: Trouba seems to play his best when has a mobile guy as his partner who can skate or pass the puck out of tough situations.

Unless you can find a guy who has cost control for a couple more years at least, you're probably better off trying to find a guy who might not have reached his full potential but is clearly an NHL defensemen right now. Even if it's Smith, Lindgren, and "that guy" down the left, we're probably still a better defensive group than we were while we tried to fit Staal or Hajek in ton that bottom pairing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I've always been a big fan of Brodin but I don't think he's the right kind of partner for Trouba. Not to mention he's going to be expensive as hell to acquire and will need a hefty raise in a year. We saw it with Morrisey in Winnipeg: Trouba seems to play his best when has a mobile guy as his partner who can skate or pass the puck out of tough situations.

Unless you can find a guy who has cost control for a couple more years at least, you're probably better off trying to find a guy who might not have reached his full potential but is clearly an NHL defensemen right now. Even if it's Smith, Lindgren, and "that guy" down the left, we're probably still a better defensive group than we were while we tried to fit Staal or Hajek in ton that bottom pairing.
I’d take a chance on Brodin. That’s why I want to get him early. See if it works or not before giving him a big raise. Carolina 1st and Georgiev are both pieces that should appeal that have value and that it wouldn’t hurt the Rangers to part with.

I’d rather rent Brodin for a year than either breakup Lindgren and Fox, or give a multi year UFA deal for a similar cap hit to a guy like Joel Edmundson (who I really like, slim pickings in FA). Unless the Rangers shoot the moon for a guy like Lindholm, I’m okay getting Brodin who won’t require expansion draft protection, and the Rangers can get a first hand look at low risk. If it doesn’t work let him walk and keep the cap space.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
What if we sent ADA the other way? They could use an offensive RHD. Or maybe they have an interest in Strome, Buch or even Kreider (add on either side as necessary). Maybe they still wouldn't do it, I don't know, but they need to improve offensively. Benn, Seguin and Radulov aren't getting any younger.
They have Klingberg and Heiskanen. I mean I’d be down, but Hintz is one of their most important sources of offense.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why would the Stars move him if they need offensive help?

Because they would be trading for a player who provides more offense than Hintz? Maybe they would trade their 1st for help, but they don't have a 2nd or 3rd. They could also sign someone as a free agent, but after Hall, the pickings are pretty slim.

I'm not saying they would do it, though. I really don't know. I'm just putting the idea out there.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
They have Klingberg and Heiskanen. I mean I’d be down, but Hintz is one of their most important sources of offense.

Fair enough. I'm just spitballing, trying to see if there's a way to address our center position.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Remember during the season when there were rumors about a Georgiev-for-Labanc swap? I wonder if that’s something Gorton revisits.

Reactions: Leetch3

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
He's listed at both LW and C, and he took 345 faceoffs this year, but I'm not totally sure if that's his natural position.
According to their board, this is what someone said.

Both. Provably not. He's our only current young guy with potential. That said with our gm
Have any 30+ yr olds that can bring leadership but otherwise nothing else?
Also a high dollar contract is a bonus

What can we offer them?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Fair enough. I'm just spitballing, trying to see if there's a way to address our center position.
This is one of those things you’d have to ask the other team’s fans.

But I’m pretty sure Hintz is playing as their #1C right now so I can probably guess the reaction lol

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I’d take a chance on Brodin. That’s why I want to get him early. See if it works or not before giving him a big raise. Carolina 1st and Georgiev are both pieces that should appeal that have value and that it wouldn’t hurt the Rangers to part with.

I’d rather rent Brodin for a year than either breakup Lindgren and Fox, or give a multi year UFA deal for a similar cap hit to a guy like Joel Edmundson (who I really like, slim pickings in FA). Unless the Rangers shoot the moon for a guy like Lindholm, I’m okay getting Brodin who won’t require expansion draft protection, and the Rangers can get a first hand look at low risk. If it doesn’t work let him walk and keep the cap space.

I think that's a lot to give up for a guy who could walk for nothing in a year regardless of whether or not he fits in. Just knowing his skill set, I think he's best suited to support a guy like Dumba as he has during his resurgence over the last year or so. I think you need a guy who can transition the puck more effectively paired with Trouba, otherwise I expect to see them stuck in their own end quite a bit.

There's no real reason to break up Lindgren and Fox. Keep them together regardless. If you can get the right partner for Trouba, great. Push Smith down to the bottom pairing. If you can't but can add a guy like Dermott, who I mentioned before, then you put him on the bottom pairing and experiment. Play Smith with Trouba but try Dermott there on occasion. Maybe you catch lightning in a bottle, maybe you don't, but at least this way you have some contractual control over the player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->