Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
If RNH wasn't one season away from free agency, he'd be an ideal candidate to trade some value for as the 2C of the future for this team.

But I'm highly skiddish of trading assets for a non-cost controlled, non-star player.

I like the Tampa options too, Gourde in trade or Cirelli.

But a few things.

1. We can never even remotely fit in another super star center under the cap down the road.

2. I am not even sure if I think Domi has good 2nd line C potential. I mean he was just the 4th C recently for MTL...

But I do like him because he is very good at getting the puck fast to his wingers. Quick feets, quick at turning up ice. Can get around the first forechecker. That is what someone like Kakko needs and I am sure he would work well on a non top line with a young Lafreniere too.

He is also not soft. There is that element to consider too in the division we are in.

3. I also agree with the defensive comments. Looking at someone like Cirelli’s PK ability, of course Domi leaves a lot to be desired.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
As I said in the draft thread go after Sheary. He's a Cup winner with speed who isn't ancient. He'll help.

I've loved Nieto since draft year. He's going to most likely go deep and potentially a WCF or SCF if all things go well. Bottom 6ers with speed who is a zillion times better than McKeg.

Girgensons is a good reclamation project.

Gorton talked about becoming a team that's harder to play against. Neither Sheary, nor Nieto accomplish that for us.

n8

WAAAAAAA!!!
Nov 7, 2002
san francisco
Visit site
If Kravtsov can make the team and nothing changes, we are looking this lineup.

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Panarin-Strome-Kakko
LAFs-Chytil-Kravtsov
Lemiuex-Howden-Gauthier

Lindgren-Trouba
Staal-Deangelo
Smith-Fox

• Areas that can be improved? Staal and Smith remain at the top.
  • Strome obviously could be improved. He was the #22 center last year though so maybe we just get a 1 year deal with him and let him drive up his 2021 UFA price riding off of Panarin's laurels. That'd be the smart move from his perspective. Still would like to flip him for someone else but he is the best option there for the time being. Don't see Chytil leveling up so quickly. He needs another 2-3 years to put it together. Does GMJG go out and grab a UFA on a two year deal (for exposing reasons) here? Spezza? Granlund? Haula?
  • I feel like it's a guarantee GMJG signs a UFA to replace Fast though. That is typical Rangers MO. There's going to be an opening for Kravtsov or one of the other players to earn but he'll go sign someone so unspectacular like Tom Kuhnhackl or Beau Bennet who will sort of blob their way into the roster. Granted, a young player should earn that spot but some teams leave it open for the best youngster to step in. Not the Rangers.
  • Big question mark is also which youngsters can come in a really surprise us? Can Morgan Barron step right in? He's supposed to be great defensively so he might fill in the defensive void Fast will leave. Will K'Andre, Lundkvist force the team's hand in some way? Does Robertson, Pajuniemi, or Reunanen surprise in camp?
  • Are there any actual UFAs the team has their eye on? Like a long time crush on Tyffoli, Kovalchuk, Hoffman, or randomly Tanev? These sort of surprise signings can throw our conception of the roster into disarray.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Expansion draft I would presume. Get some assets, sign vet UFA to expose, yeah....
Also, 1) trading from a position of strength to shore up one of weakness and 2) the Rangers tend to do right by players when they can (this is a young goaltender with a career in front of him, quite possibly as a starter if he can get a chance elsewhere).

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I guess if they trade Buch, either in that trade or outside of it, they could protect 8 players instead of 7F/3D.
Panarin
Zibanejad
Kreider
Chytil
DeAngelo
Trouba
Lindgren
Brodin

Brodin in a UFA in 2021. He doesn't need to be protected unless we sign him to an extension, but we could just wait until after the expansion draft to re-sign him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Georgiev for Brodin?

I'd rather have Spurgeon, but I definitely wouldn't hate Brodin
Was looking at rental LHD that would make sense. Brodin was literally the only one and I would be very happy with that. Georgiev and Carolina 1st for Brodin ish kind of deal might make sense.

Was also looking at rental Centers that make some sense. Landed on six (alphabetically):
  • Anisimov
  • Bonino
  • Danault
  • Krejci
  • Nugent-Hopkins
  • Stastny

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If RNH wasn't one season away from free agency, he'd be an ideal candidate to trade some value for as the 2C of the future for this team.

But I'm highly skiddish of trading assets for a non-cost controlled, non-star player.
RNH being a rental is a good thing. Doesn’t mess with expansion draft protection and at the WORST gives a lot of salary relief when he comes off.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Why would we move assets for a guy who is a rental?
Three reasons.
  • Don’t need to protect for expansion draft
  • The rebuild is over and Trouba needs a competent partner
  • Gives them a year to see if he works as Trouba partner. If he does they can re-sign him. If not, it’s even more free cap Summer of 2021 when all the dead weight is off the books. Cap is also an asset.
It’s a win-win. Rangers need Brodin more than they need a non-prime future asset and/or a 3rd goalie. If Rangers didn’t win the lottery I wouldn’t have advocated for this necessarily but here we are. The worst case scenario is an extra $4.17m in cap space.

Reactions: Leetch3

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
giphy.gif
Omg I love the new avatar :biglaugh:

Reactions: Thirty One

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Three reasons.
  • Don’t need to protect for expansion draft
  • The rebuild is over and Trouba needs a competent partner
  • Gives them a year to see if he works as Trouba partner. If he does they can re-sign him. If not, it’s even more free cap Summer of 2021 when all the dead weight is off the books. Cap is also an asset.
It’s a win-win. Rangers need Brodin more than they need a non-prime future asset and/or a 3rd goalie. If Rangers didn’t win the lottery I wouldn’t have advocated for this necessarily but here we are.
You said RNH, that's not Ryan Nugent-Hopkins you meant?

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You said RNH, that's not Ryan Nugent-Hopkins you meant?
Thought we were referring to Brodin but yeah same deal for RNH except replace “Trouba Partner” for “Secondary Scoring” and replace $4.17m of relief to $6m of relief.

Rangers394

Aug 5, 2020
Thought we were referring to Brodin but yeah same deal for RNH except replace “Trouba Partner” for “Secondary Scoring” and replace $4.17m of relief to $6m of relief.
Brodin is good but someone said it would be a better deal next season. I don't want RNH

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Brodin is good but someone said it would be a better deal next season. I don't want RNH
I don’t think Brodin would be a better deal next season at all. Trouba needs a better partner ASAP. Brodin will probably get a raise in UFA, and getting him for a year let’s the Rangers see firsthand if he is worth it before committing. It’s a great move and probably wouldn’t cost anything that would hurt the Rangers.

If you don’t like RNH I listed 5 other options that make sense. You may not like RNH but the Rangers have been after him before.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad