Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I remember a yr ago thinking the RD stinks .... now look

Now I think the LD stinks lol

When Lindgren is the best option it’s not deep enough but w that said Miller , Robertson , Jones are coming and Hajek , Reunanen , Rykov can’t be totally counted out yet

Player big P

no more striptease no more flashes
Feb 4, 2010
Prague
I don't know that I've ever seen a human who so resembles a cartoon character but Marchand has this exact face:

alicethegoon2.jpg

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I remember a yr ago thinking the RD stinks .... now look

Now I think the LD stinks lol

When Lindgren is the best option it’s not deep enough but w that said Miller , Robertson , Jones are coming and Hajek , Reunanen , Rykov can’t be totally counted out yet

LD is an easier position to fill by default since there are more left handed players in the league.

Lindgren, as long as he stays healthy, is someone who is fine in a 2nd pair role (may even become great in it) or an excellent 3rd pair option. They'll be able to fill another slot with one of the billion LD they have in the system, or simply by moving DeAngelo to the left. You can lean more on Lindgren or DeAngelo depending on the game situation.

Replacing Staal with a replacement level player would be the biggest improvement the team can make with out giving up assets.

Reactions: Cag29 and nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
LD is an easier position to fill by default since there are more left handed players in the league.

Lindgren, as long as he stays healthy, is someone who is fine in a 2nd pair role (may even become great in it) or an excellent 3rd pair option. They'll be able to fill another slot with one of the billion LD they have in the system, or simply by moving DeAngelo to the left. You can lean more on Lindgren or DeAngelo depending on the game situation.

Replacing Staal with a replacement level player would be the biggest improvement the team can make with out giving up assets.
Thank you. You and I are an echo chamber on the Staal thing. Buying out Staal and replacing him is the quickest way to improve the team.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Thank you. You and I are an echo chamber on the Staal thing. Buying out Staal and replacing him is the quickest way to improve the team.
I think most people want staal off the roster, the only problem is that while the buyout opens cap space this year, it also adds another small but not insignificant hit the following. We get alot of contracts off the books in 21 and that's when we're gonna need to really extend kids like chytil. I want to lock them up long term and while a couple million might not be the end of the world, it's also not great to keep kicking the can down the road.

Reactions: DutchShamrock

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I think most people want staal off the roster, the only problem is that while the buyout opens cap space this year, it also adds another small but not insignificant hit the following. We get alot of contracts off the books in 21 and that's when we're gonna need to really extend kids like chytil. I want to lock them up long term and while a couple million might not be the end of the world, it's also not great to keep kicking the can down the road.
I'm talking specifically about the scenario that is often-debated around here: do we buy out Staal, do we buy out Lundqvist, or do we buyout Smith and whatever else.

Buying out Lundqvist provides for the greatest amount of cap space and allows you to (for a couple seasons, anyway) keep Georgiev. However, you still have arguably the worst NHL defenseman still taking regular shifts.

Buying out Staal provides cap relief, but not as much; however you then have to trade Georgiev (which could net a good asset, or not, because who knows with goalies). Signing even an average third-pair guy would be a big boost to the team and I think the numbers show the difference between Lundqvist and Georgiev at this point is pretty minor, even if Georgiev probably possesses more skill at this point.

So that's what I'm referring to--of those two scenarios I think it's far preferable to buy out Staal and trade Georgiev. You may even be able to find a decent defenseman in a Georgiev deal to plug in for Staal. Staal, while I still love the guy, is truly awful and almost any regular NHL defenseman would be an upgrade on him and a huge boost to DeAngelo or whoever has to play with him.

Biting the bullet and keeping everyone is a different story, and it's an idea I'm open to. But if we have to do a buyout? Staal, all day and twice on Sundays.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
I'm talking specifically about the scenario that is often-debated around here: do we buy out Staal, do we buy out Lundqvist, or do we buyout Smith and whatever else.

Buying out Lundqvist provides for the greatest amount of cap space and allows you to (for a couple seasons, anyway) keep Georgiev. However, you still have arguably the worst NHL defenseman still taking regular shifts.

Buying out Staal provides cap relief, but not as much; however you then have to trade Georgiev (which could net a good asset, or not, because who knows with goalies). Signing even an average third-pair guy would be a big boost to the team and I think the numbers show the difference between Lundqvist and Georgiev at this point is pretty minor, even if Georgiev probably possesses more skill at this point.

So that's what I'm referring to--of those two scenarios I think it's far preferable to buy out Staal and trade Georgiev. You may even be able to find a decent defenseman in a Georgiev deal to plug in for Staal. Staal, while I still love the guy, is truly awful and almost any regular NHL defenseman would be an upgrade on him and a huge boost to DeAngelo or whoever has to play with him.

Biting the bullet and keeping everyone is a different story, and it's an idea I'm open to. But if we have to do a buyout? Staal, all day and twice on Sundays.

buying out hank saves you $3 mil and then you have to re-sign georgiev who probably gets over $2 mil...so compared to trading georgiev, you save under a $1 mil in cap space, get nothing in return and $1.5 mil in dead space next year.

as much as I hate the idea of trading georgiev for less than full value cause our hands are being forced. if you can get a decent return it might be our best option.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I still believe it's going to be Hank getting bought out

But Gorton should have traded Georgiev 8 months ago

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I love Lindgren's office...how he comes up to the blue line inconspicuously and body slams whoever
Agree 110 %....he will keep the opposing forwards honest and have them watching for him at the blueline . It has been a stretch since we had a heat seeking missile on the backend . He will become more valuable as he becomes more hated and that eventually will happen....love it !

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Firstov, I'm not convinced he doesn't know how to fight. Went bad against Kadri, but he was jumped. He seemed to know what he was doing in his short fight with Simmonds, who is a tough customer. And b) I don't think he does need to. Kasparaitis was a shitty fighter and he managed just fine when fighting was a far bigger part of hockey than it is today.
It will further aggravate the opposition even more if he does not fight ...pick his spots and go with the guys that are in his weight class and stay away from the SuperHW's . Worked for Holik as well .

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
buying out hank saves you $3 mil and then you have to re-sign georgiev who probably gets over $2 mil...so compared to trading georgiev, you save under a $1 mil in cap space, get nothing in return and $1.5 mil in dead space next year.

as much as I hate the idea of trading georgiev for less than full value cause our hands are being forced. if you can get a decent return it might be our best option.

I would be shocked if Georgiev got over $2m on his next deal from the Rangers. Maybe with another team who thinks he'll be on a bargain rate as a starter, but for a guy who has been brilliant at times but also very inconsistent? That's a lot. Especially with a flat cap.

That's not me saying we should keep him at all costs or anything. I just think he'll probably come in somewhere around $1.5m.

Reactions: wafflepadsave

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I still believe it's going to be Hank getting bought out

But Gorton should have traded Georgiev 8 months ago

Carp recently did a Q&A on the Athletic, and was asked who the Rangers goalies would be next year. He said Igor and Alex, so maybe Hank does get bought out.

We have no idea what sort of offers Gorton was getting for Georgiev, so saying he should have been traded is disingenuous. If Gorton had traded him for a 3rd round pick, half this board would have been ready to lynch him.

Reactions: bl02

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Igor Shesterkin +20000 for Conn Smythe.

Imagine that.

Where are you seeing that?

The William Hill app has odds for game 1 against Carolina. +1900 for either team to win in a shootout :help:

They also have a bet whether or not there will be a shootout. No is -2000. Can I bet my house on it? lol.

Reactions: McSauer

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Carp recently did a Q&A on the Athletic, and was asked who the Rangers goalies would be next year. He said Igor and Alex, so maybe Hank does get bought out.

We have no idea what sort of offers Gorton was getting for Georgiev, so saying he should have been traded is disingenuous. If Gorton had traded him for a 3rd round pick, half this board would have been ready to lynch him.
Why would Carp know that NYR is buying out Hank? If he had anything solid on that, he would have written it up.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Exposing Lindgren isn't the best option but he certainly isn't a guy I would make a trade to keep. He's played one season and wasn't very good. Just sign some random guy to fit the quota.
Lindgren is tough as nails and plays great with Fox. I want sign him long term.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
Writing that article right before the restart is a good way to burn your contacts. Your next insider story might be about where Drury gets pizza ingredients.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Why would Carp know that NYR is buying out Hank? If he had anything solid on that, he would have written it up.

I'm not saying he knows, but he's more in the know than we are. It's likely just his opinion, and you can take that for whatever you think it's worth, but I thought it was interesting that he replied that way rather than giving a less specific answer.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
I think it's too early to pencil in Lindgren long term yet. Loved his tough game and I hope he continues to play well, but very far from a lock IMO.
I disagree. He exactly what we need on the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->