Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLV

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbny

Unregistered User
Apr 12, 2019
I think it's too early to pencil in Lindgren long term yet. Loved his tough game and I hope he continues to play well, but very far from a lock IMO.

Reactions: egelband

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
I think it's too early to pencil in Lindgren long term yet. Loved his tough game and I hope he continues to play well, but very far from a lock IMO.
He can play now.

He’s Also very young.

He also adds something on our blue line that’s missing. And at the defensive position where we’re in need.

If we lose Lindgren, I’ll chaotically riot the streets and throw fecal matter at pedestrians like a crazy man. True story.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia

Depends what you deem as a lock .... will he be a good top 6/3rd pair guy ? Pretty sure that’s a lock

I think the team signs a vet LD they will expose in expansion. Smith and Staal walk in a year with an outside chance Smith is traded

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Lindgren provides the LD balance that we are really lacking. And that assumes Miller develops into what everyone Hope's he becomes.

He has a clean, crisp and accurate 1st pass out of the zone. Plays a smart game. Doesnt try to do more than he is capable of.

Solid defensively. Good positioning and pretty quick on his feet to get back into position.

His tenacity makes up for what he appears to lack in size.

Hes going to be a very valuable cog in the Rangers wheel because guys like this, that are not flashy but are effective maintain manageable cap hits for extended periods.

I easily make a trade with Seattle to ensure he doesnt get selected

Reactions: McSauer and Leetch3

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Lindgren provides the LD balance that we are really lacking. And that assumes Miller develops into what everyone Hope's he becomes.

He has a clean, crisp and accurate 1st pass out of the zone. Plays a smart game. Doesnt try to do more than he is capable of.

Solid defensively. Good positioning and pretty quick on his feet to get back into position.

Hes going to be a very valuable cog in the Rangers wheel because guys like this, that are not flashy but are effective maintain manageable cap hits for extended periods.

We don’t have to expose Lindgren.

DutchShamrock

Nov 22, 2005
New Jersey
I wonder if the games played rules gets amended to account for the shortened season. Do the play in games count to the total? That would be unfair since there would be an imbalance. What if next season loses games?

They should answer this sooner than later. Seattle could miss out on a decent player that just missed the cut or someone like us could miss out reaching the requirement by a handful of games.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I wonder if the games played rules gets amended to account for the shortened season. Do the play in games count to the total? That would be unfair since there would be an imbalance. What if next season loses games?

They should answer this sooner than later. Seattle could miss out on a decent player that just missed the cut or someone like us could miss out reaching the requirement by a handful of games.

It won't affect Seattle at all. The requirements are for the other teams. Seattle is free to choose anyone who isn't protected.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Ryan Lindgren will be part of our blueline until there are 3 guys better than him to push him out...with miller, robertson and jones plus the possibilities of moving ADA to the left or trading for a veteran top 4 guy, it isn't crazy to think that he eventually gets bumped but it will be because our left side has become really good not cause he isn't good enough

Reactions: kovazub94 and Trxjw

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
We don’t have to expose Lindgren.
we don’t have to expose him but we’d have to protect him.

assuming ADA re-signs, its really simple, at D, they protect Trouba,ADA,Lindgren

...Seattle could miss out on a decent player that just missed the cut or someone like us could miss out reaching the requirement by a handful of games.
It won't affect Seattle at all. The requirements are for the other teams. Seattle is free to choose anyone who isn't protected.

This confuses lots of folks
The league requires there to be proven veterans available, and Seattle is required to draft a balanced roster and a minimum Salary Cap commitment.
So each team's exposed list must include 2F;s,a D and a G who meet contract and/or NHL games played thresholds.
However, within some guidelines, Seattle can choose anyone from a team's exposed list.

Here is a good reference, with some key points excerpted
https://www.capfriendly.com/expansion-draft-faq
"All players who have accrued two or less professional seasons at the end of the 2020-21 season, as well as all unsigned draft choices appearing on the teams reserve list, will be exempt from the upcoming expansion draft."

"Teams will be permitted to protect ... a group of players ... under one of .. two options": 7F-3D-1G OR 8F/D-1G

"Teams must expose a minimum number of players that meet the following criteria ..."
[for skaters, 2F and 1 D, signed for '20-21 AND 40GP '20-21 or 70 GP '19-20 +'20'21
for G: under contract in 2021-22, OR expiring contract RFA following 2020-21

"Expansion team must select one player from each team for a total of 30 players."
"Expansion team must select the following number of players at each position: 14F, 9D, 3G" ( these are minimums, that's 26, so ... plus 4 more guys)
"Expansion team must select a minimum of 20 players who are under contract for the 2020-21 season." (explanation - as opposed to unsigned RFA's)

"Players selected for the Expansion team must have a total cap hit value of between 60% and 100% of the 2020-21 salary cap upper limit"

HTH

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2002
NYC

Lindgren has seemingly been always under appreciated around here. And he's has fit very well with Fox. He needs to be part of the plan moving forward.

Do you want ants

Thats how u get ants
Jul 2, 2015
I like Lindgren. He has next season to make a case for being protected. We still have to get through FA and a trade deadline before we are forced to make a decision. So as of now, with zero moves, it’s pretty obvious he’ll be protected. If he’s not, it just means we made a move for someone worth protecting more or someone internally made a better case, which isn’t a bad thing.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Lindgren is the type of guy you keep around for a while. I HIGHLY doubt he ends up making huge money and with the money conceivably tied up on the right side moving forward he's the ideal guy for a 2nd or 3rd pairing partner. Honestly, he would be a guy I could see being around for 6-8 years

Last edited:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Lindgren is fine. He'll be protected if they don't acquire a better LD before next summer

And if they do, they'll figure it out. He's got one solid season under his belt, I'm hoping he continues to build off it.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Lindgren is fine. He'll be protected if they don't acquire a better LD before next summer

And if they do, they'll figure it out. He's got one solid season under his belt, I'm hoping he continues to build off it.

The Lindgren discussion isn't about protection slots. It's about an exposed defenseman hitting certain criteria.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
The Lindgren discussion isn't about protection slots. It's about an exposed defenseman hitting certain criteria.
oh

Smith is probably going to play D next year, offer him a one year extension.

Seattle wouldn't take him anyway, they'll probably take one of our young forwards. Tell him he'll get legit minutes at LD if he signs but they have to expose him for reasons.

Done

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
we will sign a depth dman who is cheap and needs 25-30 games to get to 70. or trade for someone at the deadline who is already at the threshold from a team with protection issues...worse case scenario if we have no injuries on the blueline they will dress 7 dmen for games to hit the threshold. it is a complete non-issue. there is ZERO change lindgren gets exposed to meet the criteria

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
oh

Smith is probably going to play D next year, offer him a one year extension.

Seattle wouldn't take him anyway, they'll probably take one of our young forwards. Tell him he'll get legit minutes at LD if he signs but they have to expose him for reasons.

Done

Possible fixes for this:

- Play Smith/Staal and offer a 1-year extension without NMC
- Play Hajek 40(!) games this upcoming season
- Trade for a D-man who hits the targets

And if they lost him for that reason it would be pure laziness.

If this was Sather, I could see it happening. Not under Gorton

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
If this was Sather, I could see it happening. Not under Gorton

Why are we dedicating so much time to this? Is there a concern we won't be able to expose a defenseman?

I've seen people say we're gonna have to expose Lindgren or play Hajek for the sake of exposing him. But there's clearly going to be a plan to bring someone in to expose, no?

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lindgren very quietly steadied the top 4. Is he a lock? No, but neither is Fox or DeAngelo or anyone else. As of now, unless his game goes to hell, his spot in the top 4 is pretty well cemented.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Lindgren is a kid with 2 years of pro experience under his belt and has been consistently improving. Until there's someone forcing him out of the lineup the Rangers will make sure he sticks around.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad