Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLII Time for Curtis Lazar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If these play in games are considered playoff games I would say Lemieux gets a game. If for some reason his punishment were to start next regular season (which is doubtful) he would probably get 2-3 games. I think him getting one play in game is sufficient

I went back to look at the play a couple/three days ago. It's pretty bad. He clearly targeted Donskoi's head coming in from behind and hitting him somewhere around the jaw with his shoulder. To me in the regular season that's 3/4 games. I've also heard (but didn't look up) that Brendan's been suspended before. If that's the case I'd expect more than a game----but we'll see.

Reactions: egelband

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
I went back to look at the play a couple/three days ago. It's pretty bad. He clearly targeted Donskoi's head coming in from behind and hitting him somewhere around the jaw with his shoulder. To me in the regular season that's 3/4 games. I've also heard (but didn't look up) that Brendan's been suspended before. If that's the case I'd expect more than a game----but we'll see.

it was a dumb hit but looking at the other suspensions from the 2019 playoffs all of the illegal hits got a game except for the Kadri stupidity.
The Sundqvist and Barbashev hits were similar to Lemieux and got a game

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
kinda a bit ironic the guy we are most worried about has been practicing the most (at least that we’ve seen) with other friends/teammates on the ice .

From a week or so ago I think.

Nice to see KK practicing shooting quickly from that position. No thinking involved. Also, receiving the puck from that angle as a lefty shot, he is not in a shooting position and NHL defenders therefore tend to give a hint of cushion on the PK to forwards from that spot so they can focus on the backdoor passes. Zucc was a master at taking those passes and converting them into nice scoring chances before the D collapsed.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
it was a dumb hit but looking at the other suspensions from the 2019 playoffs all of the illegal hits got a game except for the Kadri stupidity.
The Sundqvist and Barbashev hits were similar to Lemieux and got a game

Researching--Lemieux when he was with the Jets was suspended two games in November 2018 for a somewhat similar hit on Vincent Trocheck. He was also fined earlier this year for an elbow to the face of Cody Glass.

I really like Brendan Lemieux by the way. We need the element he brings to our team but he's going to have to get these type of drive by head shots out of his game. That the NHL fined him for the Cody Glass event--that this is the second time he will be suspended for a blind side head shot I really think player safety will give him more than one. An argument can pretty easily be made that he has not learned a lesson from these past events.

Reactions: egelband and bl02

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Researching--Lemieux when he was with the Jets was suspended two games in November 2018 for a somewhat similar hit on Vincent Trocheck. He was also fined earlier this year for an elbow to the face of Cody Glass.

I really like Brendan Lemieux by the way. We need the element he brings to our team but he's going to have to get these type of drive by head shots out of his game. That the NHL fined him for the Cody Glass event--that this is the second time he will be suspended for a blind side head shot I really think player safety will give him more than one. An argument can pretty easily be made that he has not learned a lesson from these past events.
Normally I'd agree, but it is a pseudo playoff game and they tend to value playoff games higher with regards to length of suspensions, so he might only get a game.

Deleted member 23124

While I understand the suspension for the hit on Donskoi, I thought the Glass fine was a bit much as it was "incidental" (in my opinion).

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Fair enough!

Just not warranted, bad post by me. Thanks for pointing it out.

I also want to point out that I don’t of course know for 100% that Kakko’s combination of diabetics and the intolerance thing puts him at risk. I think I went ahead of my self a little there.

The one thing I think should stand from my post is that young people with diabetics are not generally at any significant increased to die from Covid 19.
My daughter has celiac and according to her doctor, it is not a complicating factor for Corona virus.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Normally I'd agree, but it is a pseudo playoff game and they tend to value playoff games higher with regards to length of suspensions, so he might only get a game.

Well hopefully. It was announced though as the season was called that Lemeuix would be suspended as soon as the NHL started up again. He's at least getting a game.

Reactions: romba

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
with all these protests and group gatherings we may find out within two weeks if these hockey playoffs will actually happen (along with college, grade schools, etc).

Huge Covid barometer.

Reactions: MysticLeviathan

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
My daughter has celiac and according to her doctor, it is not a complicating factor for Corona virus.

If one’s ‘underlying condition’ is controlled, it seems to not be as much of a factor With regard to worse COVID symptoms or getting sick. Type 2 diabetics tend to be less controlled and also obese, so that has been a strong factor and most other underlying conditions, by their definition, are uncontrolled. If one is obese, for example, and ‘controls it’, they are no longer obese. However if you have Celiacs but are strict with your diet and don’t have flare ups, it seems to not have much impact which is great news.

Everyone is super fearful (it almost seems to be a drug for some), especially when they hear about diabetes as a condition, and therefore automatically assume they are more prone to COVID, or at higher risk of serious illness. It just doesn’t seem to be the case though.

Imagine the backlash if a random player were like ‘oh no big deal if the diabetes is controlled’, how could you be so callous and vein!

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
If one’s ‘underlying condition’ is controlled, it seems to not be as much of a factor With regard to worse COVID symptoms or getting sick. Type 2 diabetics tend to be less controlled and also obese, so that has been a strong factor and most other underlying conditions, by their definition, are uncontrolled. If one is obese, for example, and ‘controls it’, they are no longer obese. However if you have Celiacs but are strict with your diet and don’t have flare ups, it seems to not have much impact which is great news.

Everyone is super fearful (it almost seems to be a drug for some), especially when they hear about diabetes as a condition, and therefore automatically assume they are more prone to COVID, or at higher risk of serious illness. It just doesn’t seem to be the case though.

Imagine the backlash if a random player were like ‘oh no big deal if the diabetes is controlled’, how could you be so callous and vein!
Type 2 diabetics are also on average much older (as he raises his hand)

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Being diabetic doesn't make you more prone to getting the virus......but if you do your overall health risks are magnified. Kakko might get it anyway and come through fine---he is young and very fit. That said and especially in his case I'd rather not find out.

It's also a discussion about Max Domi and Luke Kunin--both of whom are diabetics as well. There's the question of Brian Boyle and his cancer treatments. Also I know Brett Pesce is an asthmatic but I'm also assuming there are numerous players that have that condition. Due diligence should be taken with any player who has such questions. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't be able to play but if there are serious concerns about this player or that it might be best if they don't.

A bit of NHL history---the 1919 Stanley Cup finals were cancelled after several of the competing players caught the Spanish flu virus. One of them--a three time Stanley Cup winner Joe Hall who was playing defense for the Montreal Canadiens died from the flu. If something like that were to happen this year believe me it would be a disaster and a black eye for the NHL.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Being diabetic doesn't make you more prone to getting the virus......but if you do your overall health risks are magnified. Kakko might get it anyway and come through fine---he is young and very fit. That said and especially in his case I'd rather not find out.

It's also a discussion about Max Domi and Luke Kunin--both of whom are diabetics as well. There's the question of Brian Boyle and his cancer treatments. Also I know Brett Pesce is an asthmatic but I'm also assuming there are numerous players that have that condition. Due diligence should be taken with any player who has such questions. That doesn't necessarily mean they won't be able to play but if there are serious concerns about this player or that it might be best if they don't.

A bit of NHL history---the 1919 Stanley Cup finals were cancelled after several of the competing players caught the Spanish flu virus. One of them--a three time Stanley Cup winner Joe Hall who was playing defense for the Montreal Canadiens died from the flu. If something like that were to happen this year believe me it would be a disaster and a black eye for the NHL.
Grouping all conditions as 'problematic' is kind of my issue here. Many are a valid concern. Asthma has been shown to be a problem, even when it's mostly controlled, and I'm sure there are plenty of asthmatics in the league. Not sure of Boyle's situation, but having cancer itself is potentially an issue, and the treatments can be as well. Controlled Type I Diabetes and controlled Celiac's disease, however, seem to behave similarly to the rest of the population (aka age and other conditions being the primary factor in hospitalizations/mortality, not the controlled Celiac's/Type I Diabetes).

On the other hand, the data is limited especially for Celiacs, and erring on the side of caution would be prudent.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Grouping all conditions as 'problematic' is kind of my issue here. Many are a valid concern. Asthma has been shown to be a problem, even when it's mostly controlled, and I'm sure there are plenty of asthmatics in the league. Not sure of Boyle's situation, but having cancer itself is potentially an issue, and the treatments can be as well. Controlled Type I Diabetes and controlled Celiac's disease, however, seem to behave similarly to the rest of the population (aka age and other conditions being the primary factor in hospitalizations/mortality, not the controlled Celiac's/Type I Diabetes).

On the other hand, the data is limited especially for Celiacs, and erring on the side of caution would be prudent.

I heard Anton Stralman has been dealing with a lung issue and there's a good chance he won't play. Part of it also is if a player has a real concern with his health he probably should sit it out. Between him and Brian Boyle--that might be two guys missing.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden

Attachments

• 9E0412CF-08E2-48BF-9A01-CDC15FBEAE99.jpeg
    9E0412CF-08E2-48BF-9A01-CDC15FBEAE99.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 6
Reactions: NYSPORTS

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Then he and many other players are going to have to either wait a very long while or give up the idea of playing hockey as there may never be a vaccine. I am not taking a side of should he or shouldn't he play, just pointing out that a functional vaccine may be a very long way off. If ever.

I agree, my guess would be him sitting out this playoffs and seeing how it goes and then make a decision on next season based on if there is spreading involved.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Two other interesting notes about Buffalo and NYR over the past couple of recent years:

• Buffalo was interested in Drury as a GM before hiring Botterril. Kind of like a Sakic in COL, or Stevie Y in DET type of hiring. Bring back your old captain as a GM. I believe the Rangers said no.
  • Greeley, a former BU and NYR executive team member is in Buffalo. Greeley left the NYR to go to BUF. As an aside- Greeley was really high on Middlestadt.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Actually I think LA can put together the best offer by far with their prospect pool. My point though is that the Rangers are not the only team that could put together a good offer. Those were off the top of my head. There are others.

If the Sabres wanted to trade Eichel (official hint, they don’t and won’t), he has no control over where he might be sent for the next two years.

LA seems like the ideal destination. Has Kopitar to form that lethal 1-2 punch down the middle. Drew Doughty is already there. Proven winners on a team with weak depth. The issue is that while LA can afford it with their pool, their pool hasn't come up and taken roles at the NHL level.

I think you see an epic trade, if I were involved, I would look to make it a threeway.

Hockeyplayer99

Jul 31, 2005
The Rangers will need at least medical opinion on whether or not to let Kakko play and if he does they'll need to be particularly diligent about making sure the environment around him is safe. If those tests can be passed he probably plays. Have to think also if the virus does get inside in any way that the Rangers will pull him out.

On the subject of Lemieux expect him to be suspended to start. I think he's getting at least two games if not more for his season ending hit on Donskoi.
more then 1 game is insane especially ina playoff situation. The hit was on the shoulder, Donskoi is always getting hurt. His season ended like the rest of the teams seasons ended. A fine is the most I would give him for that shoulder hit. Did Buchnevich get hit in the head , I can't remember what team and not even a penealty, that hit wa worse then the one Lemiux did, no penelty no fine, no suspension on that play.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
more then 1 game is insane especially ina playoff situation. The hit was on the shoulder, Donskoi is always getting hurt. His season ended like the rest of the teams seasons ended. A fine is the most I would give him for that shoulder hit. Did Buchnevich get hit in the head , I can't remember what team and not even a penealty, that hit wa worse then the one Lemiux did, no penelty no fine, no suspension on that play.

Looked very much to me like he got all head. From the one angle yeah it looks like maybe shoulder to shoulder but there are more than one angle of the hit. I saw three and the other two like it was all head to me.

The department of player safety in any case announced after the game that Lemieux was going to be suspended when play resumed.

The hit on Pavel Buchnevich was by Ryan Ellis and yeah Ellis should have been suspended. It was pretty nasty and deserved it and I was f***ing pissed at that f***er.......and when Corey Perry later on in the year got Ellis in the head I believe he got suspended and by the way I didn't feel very sorry for Ellis after Perry nailed him. I was like karma's a bitch.

Gospel of Prospal

America's Team
May 29, 2010
New York City
Lottery question:

If we beat Carolina and Toronto wins their series agains the Blue Jackets, do we automatically get the Maple Leafs pick, i.e. there's no way for them to land in the top-10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad