Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLII Time for Curtis Lazar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I'm not going to pretend to be a doctor, but I'd be surprised if Kakko plays in the playoffs.

This kid is going to define the next decade for this team. If there's even a sliver of a chance his health can be compromised, I don't see how in good faith the team can have him play.

JD has already said they're going to listen to science on this one, if Domi doesn't play, can't imagine Kakko will be either

Kakko may not like it but that's just the reality unfortunately

Why? Many countries does not even label diabetics as a risk factor.

Seems like total nonsense to me. What is more likely to kill a fit 19 y/o with diabetics, riding in a car for 500 miles or Covid 19? 50 miles? 5 miles?

Last edited:

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I'd be doubtful if Kakko played without a vaccine available, it could open the Rangers and the league up to liability issues. It's fine though I'd see what Kravtsov has to offer with Chytil and Lemieux.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Last edited:

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
As far as I understand it, any vaccine would be along the lines of the flu vaccine. It won’t be a true silver bullet. I would rather put my eggs in the Treatment basket than the Cure basket.
Anyhow, with Kakko, I can’t believe the NHL situation would be any more risky than living a normal life for KK. If he hasn’t had any serious problems up until now living in the general population, I don’t really see it being an issue when he’s in a semi-quarantine with a set population being tested regularly and doted on by doctors.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
As far as I understand it, any vaccine would be along the lines of the flu vaccine. It won’t be a true silver bullet. I would rather put my eggs in the Treatment basket than the Cure basket.
Anyhow, with Kakko, I can’t believe the NHL situation would be any more risky than living a normal life for KK. If he hasn’t had any serious problems up until now living in the general population, I don’t really see it being an issue when he’s in a semi-quarantine with a set population being tested regularly and doted on by doctors.
Totally agree. I am all about vaccines: after they have been thoroughly tested for an extended period of time. Last thing humanity needs is a rushed to market vaccine that does more damage than a virus that the majority of people will be unaware they ever had. Increase hygiene and protect the most vulnerable. That is far more effective than even the current flu shots we get now.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
This is just not fair to Kakko at all and JD just keeps disappointing.

You can read about it here:
Latest statistics on coronavirus deaths in people with diabetes
Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes

It’s very very very unlikely that a young adult with diabetics will die from Covid without additional risk factors like severe obesity.
How is JD disappointing? Because he wont commit to a decision until he has more information (which changes everyday) and until he absolutely has to make one which is 3 weeks away?

Ola, I like you, but we all know you have a distinct hate for JD and you made such known when he was hired last summer. I think youre letting your personal feelings get in the way of judgement here, which isnt warranted just yet.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
100% accurate. Not sure why he’s hated JD either but, it’s something other people have noticed too.
@Ola is Sam Rosen. Everyone knows that.
upload_2020-6-2_14-32-18.gif

Reactions: BlessThisMess513

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
How is JD disappointing? Because he wont commit to a decision until he has more information (which changes everyday) and until he absolutely has to make one which is 3 weeks away?

Ola, I like you, but we all know you have a distinct hate for JD and you made such known when he was hired last summer. I think youre letting your personal feelings get in the way of judgement here, which isnt warranted just yet.

Fair enough!

Just not warranted, bad post by me. Thanks for pointing it out.

I also want to point out that I don’t of course know for 100% that Kakko’s combination of diabetics and the intolerance thing puts him at risk. I think I went ahead of my self a little there.

The one thing I think should stand from my post is that young people with diabetics are not generally at any significant increased to die from Covid 19.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If the nhl says it’s safe for its doors to open they’re not going to say a guy with diabetes won’t be safe. They’re not going to open unless they are really certain they can keep their players isolated.

the PA would have a shit fit if they held guys back for pre-existing conditions

Reactions: egelband

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
If the nhl says it’s safe for its doors to open they’re not going to say a guy with diabetes won’t be safe. They’re not going to open unless they are really certain they can keep their players isolated.

the PA would have a shit fit if they held guys back for pre-existing conditions

the NHLPA would be more pissed if the entire league shutdown because it was deemed unsafe for a handful of players. if a few guys can't play the majority still can....I don't know if guys like kakko and domi will be able to play, but there is zero chance that players that have recovered from cancer will be able to play.

also the whole reason the PA exists is to protect the well being of the players...so if they are pissed cause the NHL is trying to protect the players then there are bigger issues among the NHLPA leadership

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I would be absolutely shocked if Kakko doesn’t play. As has been stated, for a person like him the odds are just not that increased that he will get seriously ill, and on top of that, there is serious pressure on the league to not open until everything is more than safe for the players. They already have factored this scenario into their projected re-opening timeline.

They are hedging their bets when they say “if a doctor tells us Kakko can’t play he won’t.” That is what you say about literally any player at any time; if the doctor says hold him out, you listen.

But I have very little doubt they assume he will be on the ice. He already has been practicing with teammates in communal spaces. There is video footage of it. If the kid was that at risk he wouldn’t be leaving his apartment.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Anyone have footage of our guys practicing skating? Haven’t seen anything since the season ended and I’m skeptical whether ice sheets still exist in this god forsaken post-apocalyptic realm we currently find ourselves mired within.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
The Rangers will need at least medical opinion on whether or not to let Kakko play and if he does they'll need to be particularly diligent about making sure the environment around him is safe. If those tests can be passed he probably plays. Have to think also if the virus does get inside in any way that the Rangers will pull him out.

On the subject of Lemieux expect him to be suspended to start. I think he's getting at least two games if not more for his season ending hit on Donskoi.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd be doubtful if Kakko played without a vaccine available, it could open the Rangers and the league up to liability issues. It's fine though I'd see what Kravtsov has to offer with Chytil and Lemieux.
Then he and many other players are going to have to either wait a very long while or give up the idea of playing hockey as there may never be a vaccine. I am not taking a side of should he or shouldn't he play, just pointing out that a functional vaccine may be a very long way off. If ever.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
There was always going to be a point when they would come back without this eradicated. As with everything - you need to be your own health advocate. I'm sure Kakko has his own doctors in Finland he's speaking to (and really has had ongoing dialogue about this from March on) and he'll consult with NYR doctors.

Most importantly I'm sure he has Facebook friends who have become doctors since March through their vigorous social media studying. He'll be fine

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
After Jed Ortmeyer's blood clot issues he had to sign a waiver exempting the Rangers from liability to go on playing.

As far as a vaccine---as long as the virus is a thing--researchers all over the world are going to be working at developing a vaccine and I imagine that with time that will happen. If the virus dies down that research might get shelved but until then people are going to be at work at it. I mean we're talking shit like international hero fame and Nobel Prizes that would come out of that. There's loads of incentive.

I'll finish off with Kravtsov. I expect Kravtsov to be among the black aces but I'd be surprised if he actually played. His season got better towards the end but it was not a great year. As well he is kind of tall but he's not all that filled out or all that strong and throwing him into a playoff game might not be the greatest idea. He won't be a top 6 player or probably even a top 9 either. The Rangers have Chytil, maybe Fast-maybe Kakko, Lemieux (whenever he gets back from his suspension), Howden, McKegg, Gauthier, DiGiuseppe, Nieves, Andersson, Fogarty, Lettieri, Gettinger and possibly O'Regan for their bottom 6--there's plenty of bodies. Kravtsov had 15 points in 39 AHL games--he's not ready.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Anyone have footage of our guys practicing skating? Haven’t seen anything since the season ended and I’m skeptical whether ice sheets still exist in this god forsaken post-apocalyptic realm we currently find ourselves mired within.
Check Rangers social media. They have vids of Kakko and Georgiev skating.

Reactions: egelband and romba

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
The Rangers will need at least medical opinion on whether or not to let Kakko play and if he does they'll need to be particularly diligent about making sure the environment around him is safe. If those tests can be passed he probably plays. Have to think also if the virus does get inside in any way that the Rangers will pull him out.

On the subject of Lemieux expect him to be suspended to start. I think he's getting at least two games if not more for his season ending hit on Donskoi.

If these play in games are considered playoff games I would say Lemieux gets a game. If for some reason his punishment were to start next regular season (which is doubtful) he would probably get 2-3 games. I think him getting one play in game is sufficient

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Shestyorkin is in Fort Lauderdale. His wife posted some photos of them together. Slacker. Should be on the ice, practicing! :sarcasm:

I’m sure he’s been working on his conditioning somehow (hopefully) cause hank and Georgie have been on the ice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->