Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
same fanbase that wouldnt trade Prucha for Crosby. If we are even entertaining the idea of trading for one of the best players in the league, we should at least be realistic.
The proposals that make me want to walk away are the ones where it's like: we'll give you 18 third liners and c-level prospects for your young star player. Thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: bl02

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This would be the way to go about it rather than trading ADA, and somehow it wouldn't be surprising if their values are probably in the same ballpark.
And here is the thing. Buffalo doesn’t get many shots at a guy like Trouba that would be locked in for them. They aren’t a free agent destination. They get a guy locked in for 7 years who is their best defender instantly. That gets them credibility

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
stop stop dont tease me with the idea of Trouba as a base for an Eichel trade. I would add whatever is needed and drive Jake to Buffalo myself
It makes a lot of sense for Buffalo. Their defense is wretched and they get a gut with term locked in to build around.
This is not to say I would shop Trouba, but for Eichel I do. Trouba and Kakko are my roster player centerpieces.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Link? ;)

It actually was.
No. Thats not how this works. You're making the claim, the burden of proof is on you.

People said Richards wouldnt decline because he was a smart player. I cannot recall anyone praising Richards physical attributes at all.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It makes a lot of sense for Buffalo. Their defense is wretched and they get a gut with term locked in to build around.
This is not to say I would shop Trouba, but for Eichel I do. Trouba and Kakko are my roster player centerpieces.
I like Trouba, but with the emergence of Fox and ADA I wouldn't mind shopping that contract (even though I dont think the Rangers would do something like that so close to signing him to an extension). Of course we could always just have a RD play their offside, theyre all talented and could probably handle the switch.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
No. Thats not how this works. You're making the claim, the burden of proof is on you.

People said Richards wouldnt decline because he was a smart player. I cannot recall anyone praising Richards physical attributes at all.

Haha, I was just kidding. But I can promise you that I got ridiculed for calling out his skating. It’s too late, but if the archive is still around I can dig something up tomorrow!

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I'd eat my hat if they traded Trouba. Not only do the Rangers like him tons, they'd be truly screwing a guy who sort of forced his way here. It would send a bad message and I just can't see that even coming close to happening. And I also think JG is pretty cutthroat. But not this much.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Haha, I was just kidding. But I can promise you that I got ridiculed for calling out his skating. It’s too late, but if the archive is still around I can dig something up tomorrow!
bet.

I definitely defended the beaver signing, which was a massive mistake in hindsight. I thought his playmaking style would age, but it looks like the injuries he got at the end of his Dallas career took a toll on him. He really wasnt the same after his concussion. He wasnt bad for us, but that contract was horrific looking back.

Still would never have called him a good skater.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I'd eat my hat if they traded Trouba. Not only do the Rangers like him tons, they'd be truly screwing a guy who sort of forced his way here. It would send a bad message and I just can't see that even coming close to happening. And I also think JG is pretty cutthroat. But not this much.
This is the problem. We benefit from stars wanting to play here, if we start treating them poorly they wont anymore.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Eh it's happened plenty of times before. If he has a problem with it he should be taking it up with the union to change the rule in collective bargaining that lets players sign NTCs but not activate them until UFA years.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Eh it's happened plenty of times before. If he has a problem with it he should be taking it up with the union to change the rule in collective bargaining that lets players sign NTCs but not activate them until UFA years.
It happens, but its usually frowned upon. The closest thing the Rangers did was the Stepan trade, but that clause only came into effect at the end of his deal rather than at the start of an extension

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It’s a business. Everyone else that makes the cap numbers work is already on a NMC. It’s not personal

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Here's what I'll say about the Buffalo & Eichel situation. Been on the record on these boards about some of these items previously (summarized below). Some the guys on here know about it as well. Won't go into full details, but as I've mentioned before, I would be surprised if Eichel didn't orchestrate a move out of Buffalo. Matter of when and not if imo.
  • Eichel has been a very influential force in some of the moves Buffalo has made.
  • Buffalo, imo is the worst run organization in Hockey. Has been for a while, and there is no quick easy fix. The structural flaws have been there for a long time, and it will take significant change and time to right the ship.
  • Ralph Kruger, imo is an outstanding executive, and hockey coach. Eichel respects him, but I don't think a coach is enough to keep Eichel around.

Jack Eichel is a special talent. Game-breaker period. He's a guy who can help the Rangers have an open window for as long as he's here. Getting an in-prime, real deal center, and top 15 forward in the NHL would be an over the top move for the Rangers.

That being said, unless it's one of those, trade me only to NYC situations we've seen with Nash and MSL, a Jack Eichel deal is going to be very cost prohibitive, and the Rangers do not have the depth to make a trade like this work and not need time to fill in the rest of their line-up.

Good news is that they have a $8.5M, $5.7M & a $4.3M cap hit coming off the books soon. When you a "building" team with a bunch of ELC assets, it means you have space to add another star player.

As far as cost. You know, if it it's a bidding war, it might cost Kakko. If Jack insists on coming to the NYR, you have some latitude. If you have two elite centers, you can truly contend for a while. The price might be worth it.

I think Buffalo would benefit by filling out an NHL roster. Not just by getting prospects and picks alone.

ncmike

Aug 5, 2011
So they still own HBO? I thought it was like Time Warner. Or do they own parts of it?

don’t think they had anything to do with hbo. Dolans father got the rights for cable tv on Long Island. He had exclusive right for a couple of decades until dish and the other satellite companies came on line.
He does own msg network since he bought the garden and the Rangers and Knicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad