Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I think Trouba would have to be in for cap reasons Buffalos would probably be thrilled to have a guy like that locked in that would never consider then as a free agent. I also think Kakko would probably need to be in there. Not that I want to get rid of Kakko but that’s a really good piece to put up
Trouba says ‘no’ though, I’d imagine.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Anyone catch the twitter drama from today? The racist Ranger fans getting exposed and Adam Herman ends up calling one of their moms. What a trip

Eh you know the whole thing is a big eye roll. But, you spend years acting like the absolute scum of the earth on Twitter, and people that give a shit about what goes on there will eventually do things like call your mom. It is what it is. Don't act like a shitbag, people won't call your mom. :laugh:

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Doesn’t LaBanc kind of put us into a problematic cap situation again? He’s rfa right?
Depends on what he wants for his next deal. He bet on himself and gave the Sharks a discount last year and it blew up in his face.

I read an article from the Sharks writer for the Athletic a couple weeks ago, he doesn't think Labanc is going to get more than 3/3.5 million a year on his next year.

It seems pretty likely he's going to be traded, at this point it's just a matter of for what

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Depends on what he wants for his next deal. He bet on himself and gave the Sharks a discount last year and it blew up in his face.

I read an article from the Sharks writer for the Athletic a couple weeks ago, he doesn't think Labanc is going to get more than 3/3.5 million a year on his next year.

It seems pretty likely he's going to be traded, at this point it's just a matter of for what
Even 3.5m for a middle-sizer/third-liner seems high for the Rangers cap capacity. I think they should keep as much ‘dry powder’ as possible in anticipation of a big name being made available due to the current economy/cap situation another team might encounter. In a vacuum, Georgiev for Labanc sounds fine, though.

I’d add, if the Rangers are going to give any middle-bottom-sizer $3m, make it Jesper.

Reactions: Oscar Lindberg

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
So yeah Zibanejad wouldn’t be a piece for Eichel for many reasons. First, if the Rangers were to make a trade for him, it would be to have the 1-2 punch in the top 6 of both of those guys. Secondly, if Buffalo is trading Eichel, they aren’t going to want one of the older players closer to UFA on our team (I know he’s not “old” but he might as well be when you look at the rest of our team.). They’d want our young players on ELCs, best prospects and high picks. The pool of players for that trade is likely to come from Chytil, Tony D, Georgiev, Nils, Kravtsov, Miller, Wall, Multiple 1sts.

The Rangers have many advantages here. They have the assets to make the deal. They have Quinn as his college coach. They have New York. They have an up and coming team with multiple star players on it already.

So glad to have something to meaninglessly speculate about.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I would definitely stay away from Eichel, he isn't worth it given his cap hit. He is part of Buffalo's problem. Not very mobile. Floats a lot. Just not an extraordinary winning hockey center in today's game.

Not mobile? Hes literally one of the best skaters in the league. Like honestly, a top 5 skater in the league

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Eh you know the whole thing is a big eye roll. But, you spend years acting like the absolute scum of the earth on Twitter, and people that give a shit about what goes on there will eventually do things like call your mom. It is what it is. Don't act like a shitbag, people won't call your mom. :laugh:

I know and agree. Leave it to Herman to track down the kids mom and call her though. I was cramping up from laughing so hard when i read that

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
How about Igor as the centerpiece in an Eichel deal? It would hurt but it would make some sense for Buffalo. Obviously the Ramgers would have to add. Anyhow just spitballing.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
How about Igor as the centerpiece in an Eichel deal? It would hurt but it would make some sense for Buffalo. Obviously the Ramgers would have to add. Anyhow just spitballing.
Gotta say no to that. We already got a top 10 offense, and adding Eichel at this point would be great, but the impact of losing Igor would cancel that out. We need Igor right now more than Jack.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Unpopular, but I think Georgiev is good enough. Igor is obviously better, but you don't need the best goalie in the league to win a cup just one who is good enough to keep you in games. With this offense plus Eichel we should score at will.

I would be very hesitant to give up Igor though, because I think we have a really good one for the next decade in him. I'm just not completely opposed to the idea.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
The package for Eichel would put our rebuild back a couple years, the price is gonna be crazy, imo it's almost a waste of time thinking about it.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Acquiring Eichel would be great but I'd imagine cost prohibitive. Chytil, DeAngelo, Buch and the lower of our 1st's this year was my initial thoughts

I don't see how Zibanejad isn't part of the deal, and he'd probably nix it with his NMC. It'd be a bad look but I wouldn't be opposed to Gorton trying to slide that Kreider deal to them

Can't imagine they'd be very interested in Strome

I wouldn't say that's necessarily cost prohibitive. You're dealing an unproven player in Chytil, an inconsistent winger in Buch, and a premium player in DeAngelo for arguably a top-10 player in the league that's just entering his prime years. It's a large price tag for sure and the aggregate could outweigh Eichel alone in the long run but is it worth the cost in the near term? I'd say absolutely. You're looking at a top-six that rivals anything across the league and that's before you consider what Kakko could blossom into in the next 2-3 years.

Talent wise Zibanejad would of course be enticing to Buffalo, but contractually? Not so sure. Two seasons on what is likely to be a dumpster-fire of a team during that span and he likely walks in 2022. I think having cost-controlled pieces would be key for the Sabres.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
50 points is production that is hard to replace with nothing. Teams with playoff aspirations tend not to do that. I understand your viewpoint, but it is hardly viable for a team with playoff aspirations to simply trade away assets for nothing more than the possibility of futures growing into assets in another 3-4 years.

With that said, I do believe that Buchnevich is not long for the team. But he will not be traded for futures but other assets.

Very, very few players who are drafted become the impact first liner you seem to think they will be in two years.

To clarify, I meant more along the lines of, the player will be with the team in 2 years, and will eventually be an impact first liner. I think the guys we are talking about are better than Kravtsov.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The package for Eichel would put our rebuild back a couple years, the price is gonna be crazy, imo it's almost a waste of time thinking about it.
I really dont think it would. We have the pieces to pull it off. It would immediately put us in the playoffs regularly and probably put us in the contender conversation. Whether Buffalo is even willing to listen on offers is a different story.

charliemurphy

Feb 16, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
If Buffalo's not on Kreider's NTC, I send him without a seconds hesitation

Yeah, any talk of Eichel would necessitate a contract going back. $10m on this roster would occupy a lot of space regardless of the money coming off the books after next season... and it would be almost strange not to extend Zib because of Eichel. Ideally you want them both locked up down the middle.
Trouba has until July before his NTC kicks in but I just can't see that happening. If Buffalo is on Kreider's NMC list then it would have to be him along with Chytil and a 1st rounder in this draft. I wouldn't think twice of trading a 2020 1st and something around Trouba and Chytil or Kreider and Chytil for Eichel but something has to give as far as salary coming and going.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Not mobile? Hes literally one of the best skaters in the league. Like honestly, a top 5 skater in the league

I promise, "top 5 skater" was used for Brad Richards too. De ja vu.... ;)

Seriously, we just have to agree to disagree. I don't see it at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->