Speculation: Roster Building Thread: Part XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Maybe so, but to me that simply makes no sense. It shouldn't be looked at as "50 points," because we aren't talking about just this year when you made a trade. It's the cumulative time spent with the team that should be a little more measured.

Besides, I think the Rangers are (1) a playoff team with or without Buch next year, and (2) NOT a Stanley Cup team with or without Buch next year. To me he matters very little and is in the grand scheme of things pretty irrelevant to them. He might be the difference in seeding or winning a round maybe. But to keep him because it's important to be a 4 seed rather than a 6 seed is mind boggling to me when you could otherwise be shopping him with Georgiev and ANOTHER future/prospect (ie the 13th pick) for a chance to get an impact first liner in 2 years.

There's like no loss and all gain.
50 points is production that is hard to replace with nothing. Teams with playoff aspirations tend not to do that. I understand your viewpoint, but it is hardly viable for a team with playoff aspirations to simply trade away assets for nothing more than the possibility of futures growing into assets in another 3-4 years.

With that said, I do believe that Buchnevich is not long for the team. But he will not be traded for futures but other assets.

Very, very few players who are drafted become the impact first liner you seem to think they will be in two years.

McSauer

Defense Wins Games
Feb 18, 2004
Jersey City, NJ
Well, if there's one thing we all know about Quinn, is that he will ride the best goalie as far as he can. Did it with Hank last year and then moved to Georgie at the end when it was clear he was better, and then as soon as Igor came up and showed he was the the best of the three, he got the vast majority of the starts.

We'll see how it plays out in the mini-camp.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'd get VERY creative to fit Eichel in if he was indeed available.
If Eichel is ‘on the market’, Buffalo can have anyone expect Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox and Igor. Those should be the only untouchables.

No problems with Kakko as a centerpiece of Eichel is coming back.

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If Eichel is ‘on the market’, Buffalo can have anyone expect Panarin, Zibanejad, Fox and Igor. Those should be the only untouchables.

Pretty sure Zibanejad would be on the table in a potential deal.

But I also think Eichel wants to go to a contender. Not that he has any say- it would be hilarious if they dealt him to Detroit.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

I mean I’d even consider moving Zib (who I love). Jack is absolutely elite, 4 years younger, and locked up for 6 more years on his deal.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL

My list is:
Igor
Fox
Kaako
Panarin

Pretty sure Zibanejad would be on the table in a potential deal.

But I also think Eichel wants to go to a contender. Not that he has any say- it would be hilarious if they dealt him to Detroit.

I could foresee a scenario where Eichel would want to go to NY to play with Panarin and the up and coming group that is here. He knows Gorton can build a contender and for most people it's obvious the direction they are going which is upwards. One of the only teams that could conceivably have cap space

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean I’d even consider moving Zib (who I love). Jack is absolutely elite, 4 years younger, and locked up for 6 more years on his deal.
I’m not dealing Zibanejad. You need two centers and a healthy Zibanejad is a Hart candidate. swapping Zibanejad for Eichel is not guaranteed to make the team better, especially with the extra assets. If Mika is in the deal it’s basically a lateral move - where are they finding the other center?

Kakko, Trouba, multiple 1sts and dipping into prospect pool. That’s the framework I am comfortable with and it makes cap sense. Trouba needs to be in any deal for the cap to work, and he would still Buffalos best dman; and be locked it

Reactions: bleedblue94

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I’m not dealing Zibanejad. You need two centers and a healthy Zibanejad is a Hart candidate. swapping Zibanejad for Eichel is not guaranteed to make the team better, especially with the extra assets. If Mika is in the deal it’s basically a lateral move - where are they finding the other center?
I imagine Buffalo wants a comparable coming back and not just futures. It’s a lateral move if you’re convinced Mika can repeat this season. I expect him to be a 1C but I don’t think he’ll be top 10 on points next year. Eichel has a shot at that every year. Zib for Eich could be the Brass for Zib trade on steroids.

Of course if there’s a way to have both on the roster you go for it. That sets you up for a long long time. I’m just not sure Buffalo is willing to give Eichel away for prospects or picks, I think they’d want a little more certainty.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I imagine Buffalo wants a comparable coming back and not just futures. It’s a lateral move if you’re convinced Mika can repeat this season. I expect him to be a 1C but I don’t think he’ll be top 10 on points next year. Eichel has a shot at that every year. Zib for Eich could be the Brass for Zib trade on steroids.

Of course if there’s a way to have both on the roster you go for it. That sets you up for a long long time. I’m just not sure Buffalo is willing to give Eichel away for prospects or picks, I think they’d want a little more certainty.
I’m sure they would, but Rangers are kind of past that. To be a cup contender they need Mika and Eichel

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I’d say even Fox is on the table depending on the package. We’re talking about a guy who is 20th in points (224 points in 212 games) over the past 3 seasons with a barren offense in Buffalo. I don’t think really anyone is untouchable for Eichel except Panarin and I understand why Shesterkin would be off the table.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Panarin off the table for Eichel? Logistically sure, the deal doesn't work, but in a vacuum? In a freaking heartbeat.

I don't think there's any real chance he gets dealt, but if they move him, they're basically starting over.

Maybe DeAngelo, Chytil, and some futures would get you in the mix.

Last edited:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
My list is:
Igor
Fox
Kaako
Panarin

I could foresee a scenario where Eichel would want to go to NY to play with Panarin and the up and coming group that is here. He knows Gorton can build a contender and for most people it's obvious the direction they are going which is upwards. One of the only teams that could conceivably have cap space

DeAngelo, Georgiev, Strome, 2021 1st, Libor Hajek for Eichel

or

Zibanejad+Georgiev for Eichel

Zibby's coming off basically a 50 goal season, I think he gets you most of the way there.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol

or

Zibby's coming off basically a 50 goal season, I think he gets you most of the way there.
First package easily. ADA is the only thing of real high value there and while it sucks losing him, we will survive without him on defense and having Panarin, Zib, and Eichel along with Kreider, Buch, and Kakko/Kravtsov fills out an absolutely filthy top 6.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

or

I'd give them BOTH 1sts from this year along with those players.

If they want Nils or K'Andre in place of DeAngelo? Done.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The pieces are there, the salary would be little more work, but is doable.

I think Zibanejad, Panarin, Kreider, Kakko, Shesterkin, Fox and Trouba are probably off the table. Just about any other asset is likely to be negotiable though.
I think Trouba would have to be in for cap reasons Buffalos would probably be thrilled to have a guy like that locked in that would never consider then as a free agent. I also think Kakko would probably need to be in there. Not that I want to get rid of Kakko but that’s a really good piece to put up

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
First package easily. ADA is the only thing of real high value there and while it sucks losing him, we will survive without him on defense and having Panarin, Zib, and Eichel along with Kreider, Buch, and Kakko/Kravtsov fills out an absolutely filthy top 6.
Plus DeAngelo is probably going to be suspended by the league for something once his podcast drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad