Speculation: Roster Building Thread Part XIV: There ain't no gettin' off of this train we're on

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
I really can't see Gorton trading away McDonagh because his prime years are behind him and he's going to cost upwards of 8m, and then turning around and spending even more on the JT's and EK's. I also think JT wouldn't cut ties with the Isles and then come over to the rebuilding Rangers. He doesn't seem like that kind of guy AND he would have just left the Isles because they're not a playoff team. Let's just deal with our rebuild first before committing 10-14m on someone.
If, for some CRAZY reason we hit the Dahlin sweepstakes, resigned Nash to friendly 2Y deal, and signed Tavares ... this team isn't bad at all. Pending what I think Dahlin will be (EK 2.0)

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Even if we hit the Dahlin lottery, I’d make my priority Karlsson.

Dahlin - Karlsson is a dream. The mentoring. The puck possession and transition. Split them when you need to. Combine them when you need to. As Karlsson gets older he slides to second pairing after teaching Dahlin everything he needs to know to hold down the 1st pairing.

This is my dream.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Rangers aren't signing Tavares if they win the Dahlin lottery and convince the teams who pick 2 and 3 to trade them their picks.

If we're going to blow a ton of money on a UFA,I'd rather pay out the ass for Karlsson. Yes you have to wait a year and no there is no guarantee that he makes it that far, but I'll take my chances.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I'd rather not acquire "the guys" through FA. It's really never worked out like we hoped. If we're paying guys money like that I'd like them to be our players that we drafted and developed that aren't coming here for their last big paycheck. Complimentary players? Sure, stack up on FAs.

It's tough to find UFA deals where a player changed teams, which are 5 years or longer, and have cap hits over 5M that people would consider good signings. Since the salary cap, Chara, Hossa, perhaps Gaborik I'm sure there are some others but not too many.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Agreed, Shattenkirk is going nowhere. He wants to be a Ranger. He gave a discount to be a Ranger. I'm sure he also wants to compete for a Cup and not be a bottom feeder, but I would be shocked -- SHOCKED -- if this team spent any more than one additional season out of the playoffs. They have this year's draft haul. All the prospects they just acquired. More assets to come from Zucc and maybe a few other moves. If they miss the playoffs again next year they will then another top 12-ish pick.

By the following year, Andersson, Chytil, Howden, this year's top 7 pick, all the defensive prospects they have, will all be in the league. Supplementing an existing core of Zib, Kreider, Buch, Hayes, Vesey, Skjei, Shattenkirk and DeAngelo. Plus they are either gonna break the bank on an impact FA or two, or they will re-sign guys like Nash and Grabner at least.

This team will be right back at the top of the conference. One more down season is all that they have, this is not a 4 more seasons of rebuilding situation.
That remains to be seen. They can't afford to botch these draft picks.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Just because he wants to build a new team doesn’t mean he has to turn over the entire roster.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
I was thinking about this last night. It's really a matter of whether Melnyk is THAT pathetic. I think he is. I make that deal all dauy, everyday.
Bobby Ryan + Ott 1st for Brendan Smith + TB 1st

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
With the right free agent adds this team can be a cup contender next year.. especially if chytil and andersson make the jump. Theres no need to trade anyone else, and doing so would be foolish.
Hypothetically the rangers could add 3 of tavares, kovy, nash, and OEL. We already have the perfect depth piece compliments to that firepower. Thats a win now team with a future that puts the grail in lundqvists hands now and when he retires at 43 as shestys backup.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Just because he wants to build a new team doesn’t mean he has to turn over the entire roster.

It does sound like he wants to turn over the older portion of the core though.

I think Buchnevich, Skjei, Zibanejad, Hayes and Kreider (unless Chia goes Chia) are safe for now. Staal and Hank can't/won't be moved. Every one else is up for grabs.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Kreider Tavares Zibanejad
Namestnikov Chytil Zucc
Spooner Hayes Buchnevich
Vesey Andersson Fast

Skjei Shattenkirk
Staal DeAngelo
Smith Gilmour
Kampfer

Hank
Georgiev

Could deal zucc to free up more money if needed.

That team looks pretty good if you ask me lol

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
It does sound like he wants to turn over the older portion of the core though.

I think Buchnevich, Skjei, Zibanejad, Hayes and Kreider (unless Chia goes Chia) are safe for now. Staal and Hank can't/won't be moved. Every one else is up for grabs.
Who else is left then besides Zucc? They’re probably moving him at the draft, even though I’d opt to keep him. Call me crazy, but I want players that want to be here and bust their ass for this team.

They’ll probably flip guys like Spooner and maybe Namestnikov depending on contract demands. I’d personally keep Vlad

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Kreider Tavares Zibanejad
Namestnikov Chytil Zucc
Spooner Hayes Buchnevich
Vesey Andersson Fast

Skjei Shattenkirk
Staal DeAngelo
Smith Gilmour
Kampfer

Hank
Georgiev

Could deal zucc to free up more money if needed.

That team looks pretty good if you ask me lol

That defense is gross.

And for the last time, TAVARES ISN'T SIGNING HERE.

ClutchTom

May 25, 2004
currently Kraków, Poland
Figured I'd post this here as well, more people may see it.

Gorton interview with Kay and LaGreca:

Q: How difficult was it to break the team up?

A: Pretty tough to trade players that meant so much, was an emotional investment in players. Hard few weeks. We all want to win, but necessary, exciting action.

Q: How did it come about that you had to include Miller?

A: Number of discussions with Stevie y, had decisions to make with JT. We were comfortble with what we were getting back.

Q: Namestnikov will be an RFA too, is he definitely in the long term plans?

A: Not necessarily. We have to make difficult decisions. Comfortable with acquiring him, we will talk after the season.

Q: What was the tipping point of the season?

A: Not one in particular. Bad first 10-15 games, conversations started about where are we going here? Henrik masked issues, settled back in to a team that was not good enough. Trying to win here, not barely sneak in.

Q: After the letter, beat CGY and WPG, did you think you sent it early?

A: No, we were convinced. Young players brought excitement. To beat Pitt, TB or WSH is different than winning a couple of games and we were climbing up hill.

Q: long rebuild?

A: tough. Like to think we could turn it around in a year. Look around, there have been quick rebuilds, but some haven't worked. It's on us. Picks are important. Andersson, Chytil. No timeline, a lot of options to get better.

Q: Andersson and Chytil be up at some point?

A: Strong chance they'll be up for looks at the end of the season.

Q: Lundqvist -you want to lose, why play him?

A: Franchise goalie and player, not the right message. Put our young guys in an NHL environment. Not trying to finf the worst players and play them. Understand where it's coming from, but obligation to field a competitive team.

Q: not many years left for henrik - trade ever brought up?

A: no. We don't think he's close to done, shown top 10 flashes. Had long convo with him, wants to win here.

Q: if he'd given ok, would you have traded him?

A: a decision that is above him. Important player, never had that talk. Want him to be here when we turn it around

Q: Tampa prospects?

A: coveted Hajek, couldn't get him earlier cause wewhad no picks. Two way D, strong kid, character, type of D you build your D around. Howden's skill is developing, big kid with 200 ft game. Brought up his point total this season.

Q: AV's future?

A: Avoids answering. Hasn't talked to him. Get through the season, sit down and talk about whether he will be a part.

Q: The way you go with your picks, will it determine AV's future?

A: yes, AV has a great track record, but has not been with a team that's undergone this process. Hasn't thought about whether he'll be back.

Q: Thoughts on Spooner andNamestnikov

A: Take a look at Spooner at C. He's very skilled but was stuck behind some great C in BOS. Harder to find guys like that at C so want to take a look at him and Namestnikov at C

Q: What are you going to do with Bellesky?

A: Keep him the AHL for now, have discussions about him on a daily basis on what to do with him. Give him a shot to make the team next year.

Q: Will you bring Shattenkirk back if he's healthy and wants to play or will you shut him down?

A: If he is 100%, skating for weeks and we don't risk injury, we'll put him back. Err on the side of caution.

Q: it's a gutsy call, the team had a nice ten year run. Did the fact that it's NY make you think twice? We've seen the Yankees do it quickly.

A: Yes, no question. This is the biggest stage. The decision gave us pause.We looked in the mirror, not good enough to win. Not the right thing to do to trade futures for one win anymore. Job is to build a team that can compete for years. Tremendous response, great reaction from fans, we are lucky. Fans have basically said build a winner and we're with you.

Q: Have you thought about who the next captain will be?

A: No plan. Not necessary that we need a captain, we'll have those discussions at the end of the season. Looking forward to making our team better

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->